Welcome to the Bulldogs Ryley "Colonel" Sanders

Remove this Banner Ad

He had a really good 2nd quarter.

Melbournes midfield is a hard test in your first game. Definitely didn’t deserved to be subbed off (if he wasn’t injured)

His development will be crucial for our future with the lack of developing mids we have atm

feel bad for Sanders. Shame on the coaches for subbing the kid out on debut after a turnover goal when the pets like McNeil stink it up every time they get selected.

Give him a proper run next week.

He looked gassed to me, don’t mind the sub. Issue I have is the coach setting the kid up to fail. Without the hype, that was a solid debut from a young up and comer, as it stands it was a disappointing performance

Congrats to Bevo and the coaching staff for putting a dent in his confidence straight up. Excellent work.

He’ll be fine but it’s just frustrating to have a debutant cop it over a few other terrible performers.

Build him up to be the messiah and then sub him for not being either fit enough or making mistakes.

Either way it smelled of Bevo being more interested in hype than results.

Totally unnecessary to build him up so much in the media before the match. Hated it and felt sorry for the young fella.

Build him up to be the messiah and then sub him for not being either fit enough or making mistakes.

Either way it smelled of Bevo being more interested in hype than results.

Totally unnecessary to build him up so much in the media before the match. Hated it and felt sorry for the young fella.
We all liked it, before the game. We all agreed with Bevo’s assessment, we’d seen Sanders play. Before the game. We all got excited and predicted a round 1 debut. Including the media. Before the game.

Sorry, but this smacks of 20/20 hindsight. As it usually does, our preseason optimism has taken a hit. Reality arrived. We’re not as good as we thought we were. Sanders isn’t yet capable of saving us, or even running out a game. Yet.

If this is the worst disappointment Sanders ever suffers in a hopefully long and successful career, he will be very lucky.

We all liked it, before the game. We all agreed with Bevo’s assessment, we’d seen Sanders play. Before the game. We all got excited and predicted a round 1 debut. Including the media. Before the game.

Sorry, but this smacks of 20/20 hindsight. As it usually does, our preseason optimism has taken a hit. Reality arrived. We’re not as good as we thought we were. Sanders isn’t yet capable of saving us, or even running out a game. Yet.

If this is the worst disappointment Sanders ever suffers in a hopefully long and successful career, he will be very lucky.

We’re fans mate, wouldn’t you think the coach would do his best to temper the expectations on a debutant playing for the first time at the level, not throw petrol on the fire. It’s like the ‘we’re the fittest and strongest side in 9 years’ junk. Seems like he’s been reading The Secret, trying to manifest something out of thin air. Even if he thought it was true there was no benefit in voicing it, opened the kid / team up to vitriol.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Don’t know about 20-20 hindsight. Even at the time it was an eyebrow-raising level of praise from Bevo. For what purpose I wonder?
To give him confidence? It wasn’t based on nothing. And he did very well, in spite of being subbed off. He’ll get over it.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I didn't see any comments as such on here at the time. More agreement if anything.

100% hindsight calls happening.
You're asking us to post every time we raise an eyebrow?

We all see it differently but from my perspective just a simple "we're really impressed with how he's hit the pre-season and with what he can do" would have been an appropriate and measured comment before his debut.

It wasn't a shocker but it did seem odd to be raising expectations by being so effusive. How much better to let the kid play a blinder - in whatever round that eventually comes - and then make the comment about the him being "the best draftee I've seen in my time here".

I don’t like a fair bit of what Bev says these days but I have no issue with him saying Sanders is the best draftee he’s seen come into the club. It’s very likely true. It’s not like he guaranteed he’d get 25 and two goals. The kid was second favourite for the Rising Star and getting a ton of media attention for his pre-season anyway, that comment didn’t raise expectations any higher than they already were.

Sanders was outstanding during the pre-season and deserved Beveridges high praise. It's just that he was found a little wanting adjusting to the pace of a real game as it wore on. There is no shame in that and he will be better for the experience.

Of all of Beveridges moves yesterday that were terrible. Subbing a first gamer who was out on his feet at a predetermined time was not one of them. Indeed it was when Daniel came on that we had some semblance of a spark through the midfield. Too bad it didn't catch fire with the other players.

You're asking us to post every time we raise an eyebrow?

We all see it differently but from my perspective just a simple "we're really impressed with how he's hit the pre-season and with what he can do" would have been an appropriate and measured comment before his debut.

It wasn't a shocker but it did seem odd to be raising expectations by being so effusive. How much better to let the kid play a blinder - in whatever round that eventually comes - and then make the comment about the him being "the best draftee I've seen in my time here".
I'm saying the general consensus on here was agreement with Bev's appraisal of Sanders.

It's only after he pulled him that everyone is coming out saying he shouldn't have said that. If he never pulls him, we probably never hear the hindsight commentary (that very few actually believed at the time anyway IMO).

Also Sanders can be everything Bev said he is, while also needing to be pulled for fatigue or whatever. The two things can both be right.
Not disagreeing with that. He's a very impressive young man, not just in footballing ability but in presentation and attitude.

Chill out! Kid debuted against probably the most physical midfield out there. Was always going to be a difficult one, especially when most of the team didn't show up.

Was interesting to see he was asked to line up agasint Petracca a fair bit. Good learning curve to go against one of the games best break away players from the middle I thought.

He will be fine. I think he was subbed out as he did look like he may have ran out of puff. Warm weather, good conditions for cramping up when your not used to the pace of the game. He will be up and down like any rookie. If anything, just needs to tidy up disposal a little bit, though some of those fluffed kicks that went straight to an opponent were wild ones out of danger. The last one was because his team mates were lazy and didn't move around to give him options.

Last edited:

We didn’t all like it before the game. I clearly stated the opposite of that in my post.

Pretty arrogant of you to dismiss my opinion as well as to assume everyone agrees with you.

Bevo got caught in his own hubris in this case. Better to agree that he looks like a good player but we don’t want to burden him with too much expectation.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back