Toast Welcome to the SUNS, Will Graham

Remove this Banner Ad

4378D6CC-4413-40E4-96A3-DAE337DC4992.jpeg Welcome to the Suns Will. Testing at the AFL Draft Combine showed off Graham's athletic potential. Already a strong endurance runner, he excelled in the power events, running 2.91 seconds to finish second in the 20m sprint and then placing third in both the standing and running vertical jumps.

Could be the running defender we need to start his career. Already has a decent size and can run, and isn’t afraid of a tackle. Might fill a hole for us sooner rather than later.
Put him on the back flank next to Powell. Perfect fit, highlights remind me of Dave Swallow but more pace

IMG_4191.JPG

Will got some good lighting here. Looks huge

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Young Dave was tracking towards Brownlow contention prior to the knee issues, so I’ll take it.

But nonetheless, there are numerous spots on the outside on the wing and half-back that Will will be right in the mix for from day 1.

Really exciting the amount of youth we have for these roles who are yet to cement a spot but could come in and just run and gun all day like mad under Dimma’s style.

Any injury is crap but I take meniscus twice instead of 2 ACLs every time. Good to see Tsitas playing a major role for Will.

“I’d say my biggest strengths are my want to get the footy and my tackle pressure. It’s always been pretty natural to me but it’s been something I’ve definitely worked on.”
“(SUNS Academy Athletic Performance Coach) Josh Whitty has been my man. I tore my meniscus twice, he was the guy I was with through my rehab both times. He’s been a big influence on me,” Graham continued.

James Tsitas has also been a big influence. He’s such a good bloke and always willing to lend a hand to help out… he’s been great.

Any injury is crap but I take meniscus twice instead of 2 ACLs every time. Good to see Tsitas playing a major role for Will.

I really like this part of the article:
“Going for the SUNS my whole life and getting the opportunity to play for them now, there’s nothing better.”
We're finally at a point where we have a generation of Gold Coast kids who have grown up supporting the Suns their whole life. Ethan Read is also a lifelong Suns supporter for those who don't know. These guys have childhood memories of Gary Ablett Jr absolutely tearing it up on the Carrara turf and grew up wanting to do the same for their hometown team. Reminds me of the way Rankine talked about the Crows and watching Eddie Betts as a youngster. We're entering a very interesting phase in our club's existence with this new wave of juniors who genuinely care about the future of our club beyond it being their career.

As much as I don't think Cheeta should be near the Seniors side I do think he's very valuable around the club, Keep him on as a conditioning coach down the line?

I really like this part of the article:

We're finally at a point where we have a generation of Gold Coast kids who have grown up supporting the Suns their whole life. Ethan Read is also a lifelong Suns supporter for those who don't know. These guys have childhood memories of Gary Ablett Jr absolutely tearing it up on the Carrara turf and grew up wanting to do the same for their hometown team. Reminds me of the way Rankine talked about the Crows and watching Eddie Betts as a youngster. We're entering a very interesting phase in our club's existence with this new wave of juniors who genuinely care about the future of our club beyond it being their career.
It's almost as if this whole thing was a generational plan... and it's working.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

It's what they've been telling us for the last 13 years and sure enough they were right. The AFL CEO when we entered the competition was Andrew Demetriou and he would often talk about how we and GWS were 20-30 year projects but also made it clear that further investment at the grassroots level was required to see the project through. We know the AFL upped their investment in our academy pathway in 2019 and that's coinciding with the first generational of Gold Coast kids who only remember an AFL with the Suns in it.

Not only that, it seems we're also experiencing a second wave of benefits from acquiring an initial marquee player in Gary Ablett Jr who was idolised by this generation when they were kids. I'm fairly sure I heard most of our four local draftees this year stating that Ablett was their idol growing up and I know former Suns academy member Will Ashcroft said the same thing last year. Wouldn't surprise me at all if Leo Lombard says the same thing next year too. In every sense this could be considered a golden generation for us if we're able to keep most of the local talent coming through our academy. There's even photographic proof of their childhood fandom too:

405100477_825484842921252_600406272248637799_n.jpg

405141925_826094382860298_9084199616734698558_n.jpg

As much as I don't think Cheeta should be near the Seniors side I do think he's very valuable around the club, Keep him on as a conditioning coach down the line?

He’s so fit 😜

Remove this Banner Ad

Back