List Mgmt. Welcome to West Coast: Jack Petruccelle

Remove this Banner Ad

Frankly I'm more concerned he'll turn out another Lamb than Ash Smith. Late convert and not the sort of player we excel at developing.

Weird all the Ash Smith comparisons. Kid can clearly lay a tackle, take a grab. Are we really that scared of raw and pacy?

My first thought when watching the YouTube clips was that he might be able to model his game on Gary Rohan. Might always be a bit of a headless chook but doesn't mean there isn't a player there. Wouldn't be the worst outcome at this pick.

https://coupler.foxsports.com.au/ap...s/news-story/dab0c6bcb59cf67690d13e9e1c8d7d77

As well as speed, Petruccelle has ample traits that make it hard for on-lookers to take their eyes off him on a footy field.

The big mop of hair helps, but Northern Knights talent manager Rhy Gieschen says Petruccelle’s “freakish ability” makes him a special player.

“We know he’s quick, but what he was able to show was that he’s got some really quality footy crafts. He’s a pretty natural player,” Gieschen tells foxfooty.com.au.

“He can get up and take a mark, he can outrun the opposition with ball in hand, his crumbing stuff is on the improve.”

The 18-year-old set himself up for a fantastic 2017 campaign thanks to his impressive pre-season attitude, with a goal to learning and understanding the game the best he could.

It led to a sizzling start to his 2017 TAC Cup season, where he was named among the Knights’ best players in seven of their first eight games.

Two of those matches were genuine eye-catchers. He racked up a then-career-high 27 disposals against the top-of-the-table Geelong Falcons before booting 5.1 from 18 disposals against the Gippsland Power the next week.

Gieschen reckons ‘Pet’, at that stage of the year, was “performing as well as anybody in the TAC Cup — including the highly rated players”.

A proud Gieschen says AFL clubs are big fans of Petruccelle’s defensive pressure.

“He’s certainly one of those players that if the opposition is trying to run the ball out of their back-half, they’ll always know that Pet is around. He’s so quick and he sneaks up on them,” Gieschen says.

“I see him, early days, being that small forward who can pressure and chase and harass.

“Once he develops his learning and understanding of the game a little bit, he could potentially slide up to a wing or even into the midfield.”

Doesn't sound like Smith or Lamb to me, actually sounds like a talented kid who's willing to put his nose to the grinder.

Welcome welcome Jack!

WCE fans can be an unforgiving lot but if you earn it our love is eternal.

Best of luck!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

After watching the highlights video on the WCE site, here's a few observations. Interested to hear what others think.

- 45 sec: he shows courage going back with the flight to win the ball, tucks the ball under his arm and uses his pace with a player on his tail, all the while keeping his head up and his eyes on the leading forwards, and then kicks to the advantage of two teammates.
- 1:16-1:35: three pieces of play where he picks up the ball cleanly, no fumbles, and at pace.
- he likes to jump and mark the ball at the peak of his leap which, combined with his pace on the lead, makes it very difficult for a defender to spoil.
- he handballs to the advantage of teammates.
- he chases and tackles.

While I understand that highlights videos aren't fully representative of a player, I think there's a lot to like here.

1. Jack Petruccelle – Medium Forward – 184cm
Petruccelle showed a lot of his trademark dash with some exciting passages of play when he would take the ball under his arm and really take the game on. Something to really like about Petruccelle is how hard he works to put pressure on and as a forward there isn’t much more you could ask for in that regard. Petruccelle is still learning the game after coming from a basketball background and he obviously needs to find a way to become more dangerous up forward, but the signs look very good and he can only get better.

Hopefully he turn into a Charlie Cameron type player for us. His aggression and thirst for the contest already seperate him from the likes of Lamb and Smith. Those two traits plus his pace make him some what comparable to Charlie Cameron.

I wasn't a huge fan at the time but people say he can't make it must also understand Charlie Cameron also picked the game of Aussie rules very later and IMO it seems like basket ballers seem to transition it footy players much easier than Rugby players would.

After watching the highlights video on the WCE site, here's a few observations. Interested to hear what others think.

- 45 sec: he shows courage going back with the flight to win the ball, tucks the ball under his arm and uses his pace with a player on his tail, all the while keeping his head up and his eyes on the leading forwards, and then kicks to the advantage of two teammates.
- 1:16-1:35: three pieces of play where he picks up the ball cleanly, no fumbles, and at pace.
- he likes to jump and mark the ball at the peak of his leap which, combined with his pace on the lead, makes it very difficult for a defender to spoil.
- he handballs to the advantage of teammates.
- he chases and tackles.

While I understand that highlights videos aren't fully representative of a player, I think there's a lot to like here.
WCE will stamp out his attitude of handballing to the advantage of team mates. Thats just arrogance! :drunk:

We will turn him into a demon corralling machine, capable of applying no pressure at all. Welcome to the team dude! :shoutyoldman:

JACK PETRUCCELLE | NORTHERN KNIGHTS
FWD/MID | 12/04/1999 | 184CM | 73KG

The draft stocks of the dashing Petruccelle continue to rise after producing one of the most impressive and exciting individual displays of the season. He played a majority of the game forward, even dropping deep to the goal square one out on occasions. He is an incredibly difficult match up inside 50, causing his defender doubts as to whether to play in front or behind due to his elite speed and overhead ability. He was creative and hit the scoreboard with five goals, but just as importantly was involved in many defensive pressure acts. His last five to ten minutes were match defining, highlighted by an electrifying run on the far wing which eventually helped set up his own fourth goal, before running full pace onto the ball at a stoppage and surging forward to kick his fifth goal. I can’t wait to see what he can produce on the big stage at the National Championships.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back