Wells as a backman?

Remove this Banner Ad

stevo10

Senior List
Apr 18, 2001
How do people think Wellsy would go as the small backman? It could be a way to run him into a bit more confidence by being able to run and meet the ball, run the lines a bit. Defensively he is good so I think that this week wouldn't be a bad option. As for body size, the Dogs have McMahon and Giancirricusa who are whippets as well who he could man up on across half forward.

Originally posted by stevo10
How do people think Wellsy would go as the small backman? It could be a way to run him into a bit more confidence by being able to run and meet the ball, run the lines a bit. Defensively he is good so I think that this week wouldn't be a bad option. As for body size, the Dogs have McMahon and Giancirricusa who are whippets as well who he could man up on across half forward.

Reasonable option if Makey and Sansbury aren't there. But Wells isn't going to be played all game anyway. I prefer him on the wing
as he can drop back and move forward. Just whip, whip it good!

Agree 100%.

Lats year, leading up to the Collingwood game, he was out of form and lacking confidence. He was moved back, mostly as a loose man and he found the footy, carried it and set up play pretty well.

He has a good finish to the year, and IMO that game and the confidence in brought was extremely valuable.

All for it.

black jesus

The boy has just risen from the dead!!!

4 quarters on the wing THIS WEEK
and all will be healed!!!

Just in time for the LIONS GAME!!!

Over + out
Digby

Re: black jesus

Originally posted by digby
Just in time for the LIONS GAME!!!

Please, do not talk about the Lions game, I do not want to imagine what is going to be done with us if we continue our form of the last two weeks into that game.

Not only would we get severely mauled on the scoreboard, we might be burying some guys on the field of battle.

They will toss Wellsy around like a salad.

Originally posted by NorthBhoy
Agree 100%.

Lats year, leading up to the Collingwood game, he was out of form and lacking confidence. He was moved back, mostly as a loose man and he found the footy, carried it and set up play pretty well.

He has a good finish to the year, and IMO that game and the confidence in brought was extremely valuable.

All for it.

Speaking of a Collingwood game (this has nothing to do with Wellsy) will they still have the Jason McCartney award? I just recently got the book and finished it and it said about that award and how Anthony Rocca won it I was wondering will they still have it?

I love Jess Sinclair #9

Re: Wells

Originally posted by browny16
I SAY WE ALL GIVE HIM A BREAK.

Im with you on that, the kid is 18yrs old, (key word being KID)
his played about 20 games and gets tagged already which is a credit to him, his still learning the game and will become a superstar before we no it. His allowed to have a couple of bad games here and there, the magic is there you can see it.

Besides he has shown us he can win games with one kick...

Re: Wells

Originally posted by browny16
I SAY WE ALL GIVE HIM A BREAK.

have been saying that for a while as he was exhausted from his chasing on the weekend, and people are expecting him to take games by the scruff of the neck, and hes coming off the bench most of the time.

Wells

Originally posted by NeoBlaze
i never thought about that till you brought it up

This is all so true, give the boy a break, take some pressure of him and gve him time to develop those unbelievable skills we know he has and he will prove everyone wrong im 100% sure of it , and about him getting tagged? in a few games last year he was tagged by some of the oppositions best taggers, that proves how dangerous they think he can be. This is a credit to him.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

let the guy chalk up 50 games.

people are expecting the grass to part and the sun to shine in his footsteps.

that is one problem no one has really address here yet....we still have a fair few guys who havent chalked up 50 games.

Wells will probably end up playing all over the park just to increase his football knowledge and appreciation of the different aspects of the game.

good call on the 50 games, a player gets to that and then to call him successful or progressing he must improve or step up a bit every season after 50 games.

reasons why i class the skull and simmo as class players i have seen that improvement, and the same reason why i dont see watt ever making it

Originally posted by KangaFett
that is one problem no one has really address here yet....we still have a fair few guys who havent chalked up 50 games.

Very good point. The team that took the field against StKilda was very inexperienced. There were 11 players that have played less than 50 games and of those 11 there were 4 that are still in single figures. You can add Shannon Watt who although he has been around for a long time is still only 23 and has only played 53 games.

I am quite happy with Wells progress and am confident that he will have a long and illustrious career with our club.

Playing him down back could be just what he needs. I'm certain that he will end up a great winger but at the moment he is having trouble getting involved. He often gets caught in no mans land. Giving him a role where he can play on someone will get him back into play again. He then can go head to head with someone his own size and hopefully will win the contest. He would be an awesome figure running out of defense at full speed too. You know that he can run and bounce then deliver to a player and hit him on the chest. I think it is an idea that would be good for Wells and good for North as well.
I wouldn't mind Wells going down back and Motlop comming out to a wing or say a half forward flank but play as a wing. Motlop needs space to move where i feel Wells just needs to play on someone to help him find the ball. I'm confident that Wells will beat most players he plays on if they are the same size. Do the world of good for his confidence too.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back