West Coast - where are they going?

Remove this Banner Ad

a painful rebuild but history says, they won't stay down for long

personally I think they've made the right decision to keep simmo but they should review whether he is there for the next run or just the first steps of the rebuild

Since the 2018 grand final, the team has gone

2019 - Semi finalists
2020 - Elimination Final loss
2021 - 9th
2022 - 17th
This just in, team gets worse over time.

Mate, they will either go another flag tilt or they will cut fat and rebuild. There's no third option when they have an ageing crop of stars. Its pointless hanging around midtable.

We definitely need a few years to get back from this. Finishing low and drafting well is the key.

Unfortunately, due to our location and the fact West Aussies seem to suffer from homesickness less than Vic Metro kids we don’t get many quality trades.

If you are a large Vic club you can supplement the draft with Vic returnees from Gold Coast and GWS. This year Richmond got pick 2 and 7 players from GWS.

We won’t change coach until the end of the year as that’s how we roll. Also need to replace Trevor Nisbett and Tim Gepp as it’s time for change.

We struggle with rebuilds as we are a commercial animal that demands finals. Unfortunately, we lurk in 5th too much and don’t trade players whilst they still have value.

In the handicap race that is the AFL we are always the top weight. We proudly overcome the challenges of location and travel.

We will be back, just in a few years.

Good luck to all this season.

We definitely need a few years to get back from this. Finishing low and drafting well is the key.

Unfortunately, due to our location and the fact West Aussies seem to suffer from homesickness less than Vic Metro kids we don’t get many quality trades.

If you are a large Vic club you can supplement the draft with Vic returnees from Gold Coast and GWS. This year Richmond got pick 2 and 7 players from GWS.

We won’t change coach until the end of the year as that’s how we roll. Also need to replace Trevor Nisbett and Tim Gepp as it’s time for change.

We struggle with rebuilds as we are a commercial animal that demands finals. Unfortunately, we lurk in 5th too much and don’t trade players whilst they still have value.

In the handicap race that is the AFL we are always the top weight. We proudly overcome the challenges of location and travel.

We will be back, just in a few years.

Good luck to all this season.
Is that you Karl Langdon ?

Nowhere fast but most fans understand this, time to play kids and steadily transition the list.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

They've dropped down dramatically in the last 5 years and never been out of the 8 for a maximum of 3 years (2008-10).

Need to get rid of veterans at seasons end

It's gradually been happening with the team since 2018

Kennedy
Redden

Hutchings
Sheppard
Vardy

Schofield
Jetta

Masten

LeCras

Hurn and Shuey the next likely candidates to join that list.

They've dropped down dramatically in the last 5 years and never been out of the 8 for a maximum of 3 years (2008-10).

Need to get rid of veterans at seasons end

We haven't bottomed out in an 18 team comp with footy department cap. Suspect we'll breach the 3 years but that in isolation isn't a massive deal so long as there is growth.

Flag in '18
With most of that group retired or close to it, particularly the sharper end, they're heading to a rebuild.

I really dont get the hullaballoo around them.
They added kelly whilst the window was open. It cost them and didnt pan out, but the Jeremy Cameron scenario shows it can work.

Its started as well. Chesser, ginbey, hewett, barnett, long, o'neill.

Simpson has shown he can win a flag from outside Vic/melbourne. Id be backing that in if i were the west coast leadership.

Just imagine if they didn't win that flag in 2018 :huh:
The fact they did, takes away some significant amount of pain they are currently experiencing.

Have to say though, that ruck of theirs, Williams? He's bloody hopeless. He reminds me of Lauri Bellotti.

a painful rebuild but history says, they won't stay down for long

personally I think they've made the right decision to keep simmo but they should review whether he is there for the next run or just the first steps of the rebuild

History dont mean squat. Good on West Coasts finals success. Yeah they had won 4 flags in 1992, 1994, 2006 and 2018. Could easily got 1 or even 2 more if it wasnt for those MCG or Victorian rules in the 1990s.

They wont get that finals run from 1990-99. More likely to get a 6 year finals run again ust Like they did in 2002-7 and 2015-20.

I said this on other Threads and I got laughed at and shot down.

The eagles squad are old, beaten down and tired.

Why did the Mens side post a 2-20 record last season?

Their longest period of no finals was 3 years from 2008-10.

They finished 9th in 2021, 17th in 2022.

They wont finish bottom. I still expect their squad to get 7-9 wins in 2023.

History dont mean squat. Good on West Coasts finals success. Yeah they had won 4 flags in 1992, 1994, 2006 and 2018. Could easily got 1 or even 2 more if it wasnt for those MCG or Victorian rules in the 1990s.

They wont get that finals run from 1990-99. More likely to get a 6 year finals run again ust Like they did in 2002-7 and 2015-20.

I said this on other Threads and I got laughed at and shot down.

The eagles squad are old, beaten down and tired.

Why did the Mens side post a 2-20 record last season?

Their longest period of no finals was 3 years from 2008-10.

They finished 9th in 2021, 17th in 2022.

They wont finish bottom. I still expect their squad to get 7-9 wins in 2023.
We'll win a another flag before your side does.

They are heading to where North Melbourne have been.

Didnt you and Gavin Excell say that Historically West coast haven been down for long and they will turn it around quickly?

Do you think the eagles will turn it around quickly with this current situation?

I know it sounds like me Trolling West coast and ashing them....

Theres 18 teams in the league and only 8 finals spots. Its gonna be common for teams to spend 4, 5, 6 years in a row, maybe more to build up a finals contending side again.

To make finals, you need that bunch of decent 22-25 year olds.

But....

I look at some teams spending long amount of periods of No finals.

Dockers didnt play finals from 2016-21. Made finals in 2022
Saints didnt play finals from 2012-19. Made finals in 2020
Demons didnt play finals from 2007-17. Made finals in 2018

Current sides...
Crows last made finals in 2017, they made a grand final. Havent made finals in 2018-22.
Blues last final was 2013. Havent made finals in 2014-22.
North last final was in 2016. Have not made finals in 2017-22.

Suns have been in the comp since 2011. Have not made finals in 2011-22.

We'll win a another flag before your side does.
And you Probably will be right.

And the funny thing is, I will make this prediction. I dont know when it will happen, But I predict your next Grand final victim for that 5th flag will be against a Non-Victorian side. So Swans or GWS or Brisbane or the Crows.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back