Bestbird

Norm Smith Medallist
Nov 18, 2004
Perth
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Swan Districts

Interesting that in the above threads poll we are easily judged as having the worst current list

Given the diabolical results of last year it is not overly surprising but is it really that bad compared to the other 17 teams

Personally i think it isn't the case,

A wretched run with injuries early in 2022 forced the club to top up the list with 3 players shortly before the season started and we had very little impact from best 18 players Cole, McGovern, Sheed, Yeo, Nicnat and Allen

I also think that the young talent is looking much more promising with Hough, Bazzo and Culley looking good at AFL Level plus this year's draft crop and Chesser

List strength is a function of current best players, immediate depth and long-term promise.

Quite a few of our current best players are getting on in years or have worrying injury histories. Players like B Williams, H Edwards, Waterman and Petruccelle are around the best 22 but have patchy performance. Beyond that, our immediate depth is pretty wobbly (SPS, Witherden, O'Neill, West, Clark, Jamieson, L Edwards, Trew, Winder). I have some belief in our long-term future given recent trade and draft hauls, but it remains to be seen how much of that is pure optimism.

We need a fair bit to go right if we're to get out of the bottom 4 next year. But at the end of it, I think we'll have an idea whether the next generation have got what it takes to drag us up the ladder again.

Difficult to argue merits of a list after a 2 win season but it cant be discounted that the injury and Covid impacts were ridiculous last year and had a large bearing on the lack of success.

But even despite that, North Melbourne almost lost to us when were so decimated that we didnt have 22 AFL listed players to choose from and had to raid the WAFL the day of the game. They also finished below us in a 2 win season- LOLNORF. So I'm fairly confident our list is currently better than North and after SMitch decided to fold the Hawks and start again this offseason Im certain we are in better shape than them.

Our midfield has a bit to prove for sure but with a fit Yeo and Sheed to come back in (he smashed in the 1 game he played last year) supporting Kelly who struggles as the Alpha and a host of exciting young prospects led by Culley and now with some genuine pace, I think it will prove to be a mid-table midfield next year.
Then we have a spine of Barrass, McGovern, Nic Nat, Darling and Oscar- that is better than quite a number of teams.

So I'm not talking up our list by any means but I think we are in a significantly better position list wise than most will give credit for.

Yes we did have the worst AFL list last year. To old to slow, but the draft was a definite winner for WCE. Another draft like we had last year and we maybe heading towards the top eight in a few years. We still ave a few players that are only WAFL at best.

The list is already looking better with the latest figures

18-20: 7
21-23: 15
24-26: 11
27-29: 6
30-32: 3
33+ : 2

Retirements, de-listings, trades and drafting has lead to the following age breakdown for the beginning of the 2023 season:

18-20: 14
21-23: 9
24-26: 9
27-29: 5
30-32: 6
33+ : 1

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I think we have arguably the worst list as we cant challenge for a premiership and in 1-2 years time we will have seen the departure of almost all of our senior / quality on field players. 2023 It's hard to see us finishing last however 2024/2025 we are likely to be very light on and need some genuine young stars coming through.

It’s not unreasonable for us to be voted the worst list. Especially for outsiders who see our list as old blokes who have had a lot of injuries and a lack of talent in the middle age bracket.
Personally I still think North. We had our worst season in history and lost half our players and they still finished below us.
Hawks showed positive signs last year but have no stars. They’re going for the Harley Reid cup this year.
It will be interesting to compare the two different rebuilds between us and Hawks. We’re transitioning the list keeping some champs to teach the youf while hawks have gone slash and burn to try and bring the whole team through together at the same time.

In the short term if our senior champions come back fit and firing then we have an ok list and could even push the top 8. But unless we unearth some super stars and a few of our depth players really stand up our medium term future is a bit worrying.

When they are talking about lists i believe they are correct in saying west coast had the worst list last year even though north melb got the wooden spoon, They look at the age & the short term future. But with last years trade period & another similar trade period this year, our list will go from worst list to having a list of high potential. It doesnt take a long time to change a list around if the club is committed to youth.

When they are talking about lists i believe they are correct in saying west coast had the worst list last year even though north melb got the wooden spoon, They look at the age & the short term future. But with last years trade period & another similar trade period this year, our list will go from worst list to having a list of high potential. It doesnt take a long time to change a list around if the club is committed to youth.

It's a difficult balancing act because clubs like Melbourne and Carlton committed themselves to youth and the club imploded.

Melbourne eventually pulled themselves out of it but holy moly.

It’s not surprising but I think in real terms of the list as of 2023 - fit and firing (lol) - we have at least as good a list as handful of clubs - Hawthorn, North Melbourne, Essendon and Adelaide jump to mind.

What that thread is judging is future potential and it’s widely believed ‘we got no yoof’.

People forget we are being compared to the other bottom 4 teams.

Not top 4 teams.

I look at Freo's list and after Brayshaw, Jackson and Serong it isnt loaded with proven elite talent on the rise. Fyfe, Walters and Pearce all have their best behind them and have injury history. Still yet to solve their KP forward woes, Amiss may help but he needs support.

If Freo had our injury issues from last season they would finish 2nd last. Most teams would.

Our playing group needs to get fit and stay fit. If they do then the opinion on how good or not the list is will change.

Simple.

It’s not surprising but I think in real terms of the list as of 2023 - fit and firing (lol) - we have at least as good a list as handful of clubs - Hawthorn, North Melbourne, Essendon and Adelaide jump to mind.

What that thread is judging is future potential and it’s widely believed ‘we got no yoof’.

28 players under 25.

Opposition posters simply ignore facts like that.

I think it's actually far from the worst list, however the more experienced players need to pull their finger out to help us get much better than last season.

Hawthorn's, North, even Adelaides list is much worse.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back