tess

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 13, 2002
"on the prowl"
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Northern Saints/VFL Pies
I am of the firm belief that someone who decides that they are going to Kill themselves will do it one way or another. This is why I think the Barriers the Media is carrying on about on the West Gate bridge are a waste of money when we have another bridge less than 5 minutes drive away in the Bolte Bridge.

I'm not talking about the father who thru his child from the West Gate, I am talking as is the Media about the suicide jumpers from the West Gate. Are there statistics telling the Pollies that people with an Etag are not going to jump?

Once a person has hit the stage of deciding their life on earth is over, I don't think anyone can stop them going about it.

How can we stop the sun from shining?

We Can't........

I am of the firm belief that someone who decides that they are going to Kill themselves will do it one way or another. This is why I think the Barriers the Media is carrying on about on the West Gate bridge are a waste of money when we have another bridge less than 5 minutes drive away in the Bolte Bridge.

I'm not talking about the father who thru his child from the West Gate, I am talking as is the Media about the suicide jumpers from the West Gate. Are there statistics telling the Pollies that people with an Etag are not going to jump?

Once a person has hit the stage of deciding their life on earth is over, I don't think anyone can stop them going about it.

We Can't........

Back to Broady for you with your slippers on in your pyjamas

I agree Tess, there'll just be more people throwing themselves under trains.
I worked with a plumber who used to be a train driver but couldn't do it anymore because he had 3 people throw himself infront of his train.

When will suicide people learn, Do it from some cliff in the middle of nowhere, so you don't ruin someone else's life in the process.

This is what I don't understand with all this carry on over the barriers.If someone wants to top themselves and can't jump off the Westgate they'll just head to a train line and jump in front of a train.You then have the poor driver that hits them.Are the do gooders then going to call for barriers along every train line?

With those outrageous tolls, Come on?

The problem is Tess, publicity in regards to suicide leads to more suicides. It's an observed statistic. I'd say there has been an increase in recent times at the Westgate, due to extra publicity.

So if you take that option away, it takes an option away from those seeking it out, and the extra time/ thought process may be all that it needs from stopping someone carrying it out.

People believe that suicide-prevention schemes have 100% displacement but there is significant research against that idea. Look into the detoxification of the British gas supply which not only eliminated people killing themselves by putting their head in the ovens but also had a significant effect on total suicides.

The problem is Tess, publicity in regards to suicide leads to more suicides. It's an observed statistic. I'd say there has been an increase in recent times at the Westgate, due to extra publicity.

So if you take that option away, it takes an option away from those seeking it out, and the extra time/ thought process may be all that it needs from stopping someone carrying it out.

But that's the thing, the media don't report all the suicides on the Westgate, or people jumping in front of trains, only occasionally you hear a report. This only came about because of that a-hole father who killed his daughter, that wasn't even a suicide, it was a murder.

People would be shocked if they actually knew the figures of people comitting suicide from the Westgate & trains. They also don't report all the slashed wrists, the hangings etc. Because they don't want it publicised.

I don't get why the westgate is so popular with jumpers? The whitten bridge is higher and easier to access, it has a footpath on it! Do the nuff nuffs who jump think landing on the land below will cause a more painful death than landing in the mouth of the yarra?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I don't get why the westgate is so popular with jumpers? The whitten bridge is higher and easier to access, it has a footpath on it! Do the nuff nuffs who jump think landing on the land below will cause a more painful death than landing in the mouth of the yarra?
Didn't work for this guy: Bridge jumper in lucky escape

:D

I think its mainly the fact that it was used in a horrific murder.

It is true that once someone decides to kill themselves there is a gazillion ways they can do it, but if it made at least one person take a bit longer to figure out how they were gonna kill themselves before they turned their life around then its probably worth it. Anyone know how much they will cost? I wouldnt imagine it would be too much.

Having said that, the money might be better spent trying to reaching out to the suicides who dont try and get help.

We Can't........

Both of you do yourselves a favor and have a read of this.

http://psychcentral.com/blog/archives/2008/07/10/suicide-barriers-are-effective/

Have read heaps on it, yes it might stop 1%, but unfortunately people who are looking to end it all, will just go to another place, or do it at home.

I have personally known three people who I was close to, suicide, there was nothing we could do to stop them, because they never let on they were feeling that way. None of them jumped off the Westgate.

It's a terrible situation, you have to watch your friends & loved ones closely, for any signs they are suffering & try to help them.

Dom I too am what I call a survivor of Suicide, I was close to someone who did it and that's where I get my view and it's my own opinion from my experience that once someone has made the decision they will follow through.

I'm sure the barriers will stop people on THAT bridge jumping at that moment, but there will be another moment and another and eventually without treatment the person will succeed.

People do things that they have heard about recently. So at the moment this media driven campaign to get barriers there is actually making it easier for people to kill themselves as they have the West Gate Bridge fresh in their mind.

It's a fairly pointless campaign and if they just shut up about it we'd be better off.

People do things that they have heard about recently. So at the moment this media driven campaign to get barriers there is actually making it easier for people to kill themselves as they have the West Gate Bridge fresh in their mind.

It's a fairly pointless campaign and if they just shut up about it we'd be better off.

Excatly, well summed up.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back