~ ~ ~ West Gate Barriers ~~~

Remove this Banner Ad

Once a person has hit the stage of deciding their life on earth is over, I don't think anyone can stop them going about it.

Not entirely true Tess.

If it is a cold and calculated decision, taken by a clinically depressed person who suffers regularly, then I agree. There is a degree of planning that goes into it for the long term chronically depressed. The enduring pain from recurring major depressive episodes generally leads to an intimate knowledge of techniques and locations.

I know this because I had a mate who eventually lost a long and debilitating battle. Even though he confided in me where and how he was likely to go (years earlier), there was nothing I could have done to prevent it.

Many suicide attempts are very different though. They are spontaneous, spur of the moment acts of irrational escapism. These people often don't really know what they are doing, and a well known suicide landmark like Westgate in Melbourne draws them. Similar situation for the cliffs around the heads in Sydney.

Eliminating the Westgate option will undoubtedly save lives IMO. You are right that those determined to get it done will, but there are many who will change their mind if they get there and there is a barrier stopping them.

Best to place the barrier and not publicize it IMO.

How can we stop the sun from shining?

:D

Despite the serious nature of the thread this did make me laugh quite hard.

Have read heaps on it, yes it might stop 1%, but unfortunately people who are looking to end it all, will just go to another place, or do it at home.

Dom I too am what I call a survivor of Suicide, I was close to someone who did it and that's where I get my view and it's my own opinion from my experience that once someone has made the decision they will follow through.

Fair enough.

So what can we do, if anything?

Dom I too am what I call a survivor of Suicide, I was close to someone who did it and that's where I get my view and it's my own opinion from my experience that once someone has made the decision they will follow through.

I'm sure the barriers will stop people on THAT bridge jumping at that moment, but there will be another moment and another and eventually without treatment the person will succeed.
Well... I survived multiple attempts by myself. At one stage of my life... I was determined to carry it out - and it would have been successful on more than one occasion had I not been found.

If I was living in Melbourne, I doubt I would be here.

But the fact there isn't anything like that here... was what enabled me to get through it, to the point I can't imagine being like that again. So, once suicidal does not always equal forever suicidal. And I'm immensely glad that is the case.

The less options people have to carry it out, in an impulsive manner, the better. The more that they can force successful suicides to be thoroughly planned, over impulsive actions, the better. It's a whole different kettle of fish then.

We should just install suicide booths on the bridge already.

suicide-booth.jpg

I am of the firm belief that someone who decides that they are going to Kill themselves will do it one way or another.

I'm of the firm belief you're blatantly wrong and talking s**t as usual. It's an incredibly impulsive decision. Stopping someone from doing it once can mean they'll never do it. If you think otherwise you're an absolute fool.

Well... I survived multiple attempts by myself. At one stage of my life... I was determined to carry it out - and it would have been successful on more than one occasion had I not been found.

If I was living in Melbourne, I doubt I would be here.

But the fact there isn't anything like that here... was what enabled me to get through it, to the point I can't imagine being like that again. So, once suicidal does not always equal forever suicidal. And I'm immensely glad that is the case.

The less options people have to carry it out, in an impulsive manner, the better. The more that they can force successful suicides to be thoroughly planned, over impulsive actions, the better. It's a whole different kettle of fish then.

Agree with that 100%.

I have no idea about Perth having never been there but the West Gate isn't the only place in Melbourne to do it from. In fact it is probably the most difficult to kill yourself as you need to have a car, be able to stop your car on the bridge without another car hitting you from behind and then jump before anyone stops you. Otherwise you need to walk up there which is illegal and would take a fair bit of time to walk up.

As someone mentinoed earlier in the thread the Whitten Bridge is probably technically a "better" location to do it.

There is also the bridge on the ring road and quite a few others. This constant talk by the media about the West Gate is doing nothing to stop suicide and just planting ideas in the head of people who are already suicidal.

Agree with that 100%.

I have no idea about Perth having never been there but the West Gate isn't the only place in Melbourne to do it from. In fact it is probably the most difficult to kill yourself as you need to have a car, be able to stop your car on the bridge without another car hitting you from behind and then jump before anyone stops you. Otherwise you need to walk up there which is illegal and would take a fair bit of time to walk up.

As someone mentinoed earlier in the thread the Whitten Bridge is probably technically a "better" location to do it.

There is also the bridge on the ring road and quite a few others. This constant talk by the media about the West Gate is doing nothing to stop suicide and just planting ideas in the head of people who are already suicidal.

The bridge on the ring road is the Whitten Bridge.

long but very good article about the golden gate bridge and the people who jump off it;

http://www.newyorker.com/archive/2003/10/13/031013fa_fact?currentPage=all

probably the most relevant part related to this thread is how the authorities were constantly trying to get local and national media not to highlight the bridge jumpers as they got closer and closer to each "milestone"

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back