What are you currently watching?

Remove this Banner Ad

Lessons in Chemistry (2023) 8-part Apple TV drama series starring: Brie Larson and Lewis Pullman.

For the last week have enjoyed watching this series. It is fresh, a bit like the "Queens Gambit" (2020), different.

Set in the 1950's brilliant scientist Calvin Evans played by Lewis Pullman ( Bad times @ the El Royale (2018) and as "Bob" in "Top Gun Maverick" (2022) meets brilliant chemist Elizabeth Zott played by Brie Larson.

The chemistry between these two is a delight.

Later when their daughter Mad; Alice Halsey; arrives on the scene the relationship with her and her mother is
another example of fine chemistry. In fact, it was around episode 4 when Mad arrived that this show started to dive down into what I find really disinteresting events and repercussions on childbirth and motherhood but thankfully for show it morphed beautifully into a segway for a new life for Elizabeth where the show took off again.

Unlike say a show about scientists in the "Big Bang Theory" this is a drama not a comedy, so you get the good and the funny with the sad and the bad and all the rest.

Production values are high, supporting cast excellent, Lessons in Chemistry is well worth the time.

Highly recommened.

Just watched S1 of True Detective again.

Still mesmerising as it was 10 year ago. Masterpiece!
It’s the best.

I just finished the new one True Detective Night Country. If anyone’s watched it keen to hear what you thought.

Recent new Fargo was a good watch.

It’s the best.

I just finished the new one True Detective Night Country. If anyone’s watched it keen to hear what you thought.

Recent new Fargo was a good watch.
Have 2 eps to go. Thought it was a little scattered and confused initially, too many characters and too much going on, but it's definitely all coming together....

It's finally here. The remake of James Clavell's Shogun from Hulu. I have waited for this for quite some time. Clavell (also wrote Tai-Pan, King Rat, Gai-Jin, Noble House) is an excellent author - one of my favourites. The cast, this time round, is very good and the hero looks and acts like a tough sailor of the 17th century, unlike the prissy performance by Richard Chamberlain in the original series.

Set in Japan in 1600, the feudal lords are looking for total control to become the Shogun. A Dutch ship piloted by an Englishman is shipwrecked of the coast. Japan already has a strong Portuguese Jesuit foothold, which adds a bit of intrigue. There is an element of fact in the story in that there was some sort of Feudal fighting at the time with a vacant Shogunate. The rest is fiction, but it fits with history.

So far so good.

Highly recommended.

Last edited:
For those that don't mind subtitles "The Golden Hour" (Het Gouden Uur)!

From IMDB: A Dutch detective of Afghan descent, Mardik gets the information stating that his childhood friend Faysal is in the Netherlands. When a terrorist attack occurs the next day, Mardik suspects Faysal and starts to investigate on own behalf.

Lessons in Chemistry (2023) 8-part Apple TV drama series starring: Brie Larson and Lewis Pullman.

For the last week have enjoyed watching this series. It is fresh, a bit like the "Queens Gambit" (2020), different.

Set in the 1950's brilliant scientist Calvin Evans played by Lewis Pullman ( Bad times @ the El Royale (2018) and as "Bob" in "Top Gun Maverick" (2022) meets brilliant chemist Elizabeth Zott played by Brie Larson.

The chemistry between these two is a delight.

Later when their daughter Mad; Alice Halsey; arrives on the scene the relationship with her and her mother is
another example of fine chemistry. In fact, it was around episode 4 when Mad arrived that this show started to dive down into what I find really disinteresting events and repercussions on childbirth and motherhood but thankfully for show it morphed beautifully into a segway for a new life for Elizabeth where the show took off again.

Unlike say a show about scientists in the "Big Bang Theory" this is a drama not a comedy, so you get the good and the funny with the sad and the bad and all the rest.

Production values are high, supporting cast excellent, Lessons in Chemistry is well worth the time.

Highly recommened.

have this ready to go. read the book over Christmas... its excellent.

masters of the air (just re watches band of brothers)
shogun
true detective s4

are next

Ricky Stanicky (2024) Prime Video directed by Peter Farrelly and filmed in Melbourne.

John Cena, Zac Efron and William H Macy (big fan of this man)

Lot of emotion about this film. I really wanted it to succeed. Told by crew members who had read the script it was funny....

Well, the first 20 minutes or so were to me just cringeworthy. Really old-style crude, very crude type of humor that left me laugh less. Mind you, John Cena playing the part of Ricky does a great act as Alice Cooper and Boy George but just the lyrics...

After the first 20 minutes or so the film started to take off. Some laugh out loud moments and others I cannot bear to watch what happens.

The introduction of William H Macy and his acting, especially at the podium was quite funny. Apparently his wife, Felicity Huffman helped him develop his "lewd" hand gesture that becomes the talking point of the movie at that stage.

Set in Providence, Rhode Island, USA but filmed in Melbourne, it looks like it was filmed in Melbourne. As it so happens my dad was born in Providence RI so I have been there and, hmm, oh well, nice try.

Stan Grant is in the show as himself. I am not sure, but I think he must have been under a sunlamp but try as me might, he couldn't lose his Australian accent for his tv report.

Overall, not a film for the kids and probably grandma. Best seen Saturday night after a few drinks. Will watch it again but not on any heavy rotation.

Couple of minor points of interest..if your interested. John Cena's stunt double in this was Russell Frost. Russell is a passionate paid up HFC member and has been for decades. One of his first roles was in Russell Crowe's film "Romper Stomper" (1992) as the young cop who shots the kid dead in the factory.

Talking of Russell Crowe. Rusty was in Melbourne filming "Sleeping Dogs" (2024) and he and Peter Farrelly had just finished shooting the "Greatest beer run ever" (2022) and wanted Russell to do a cameo.... see if you can see him in this film. He does get a Directors thanks in the credit.

Ricky Stanicky (2024) Prime Video directed by Peter Farrelly and filmed in Melbourne.

Lot of emotion about this film. I really wanted it to succeed. Told by crew members who had read the script it was funny....

Well, the first 20 minutes or so were to me just cringeworthy. Really old-style crude, very crude type of humor that left me laugh less. Mind you, John Cena playing the part of Ricky does a great act as Alice Cooper and Boy George but just the lyrics...

After the first 20 minutes or so the film started to take off. Some laugh out loud moments and others I cannot bear to watch what happens.

The introduction of William H Macy and his acting, especially at the podium was quite funny. Apparently his wife, Felicity Huffman helped him develop his "lewd" hand gesture that becomes the talking point of the movie at that stage.

Set in Providence, Rhode Island, USA but filmed in Melbourne, it looks like it was filmed in Melbourne. As it so happens my dad was born in Providence RI so I have been there and, hmm, oh well, nice try.

Stan Grant is in the show as himself. I am not sure, but I think he must have been under a sunlamp but try as me might, he couldn't lose his Australian accent for his tv report.

Overall, not a film for the kids and probably grandma. Best seen Saturday night after a few drinks. Will watch it again but not on any heavy rotation.

Couple of minor points of interest..if your interested. John Cena's stunt double in this was Russell Frost. Russell is a passionate paid up HFC member and has been for decades. One of his first roles was in Russell Crowe's film "Romper Stomper" (1992) as the young cop who shots the kid dead in the factory.

Talking of Russell Crowe. Rusty was in Melbourne filming "Sleeping Dogs" (2024) and he and Peter Farrelly had just finished shooting the "Greatest beer run ever" (2022) and wanted Russell to do a cameo.... see if you can see him in this film. He does get a Directors thanks in the credit.
Thanks for the write up, Rusty. I will give it a look based on Macy's appearance. Still not a fan of Cena and I doubt I ever will be.

Just on Russell Crowe, he has had a very very ordinary roles lately. Recently I saw Land Of Bad with Liam Hemsworth, another whose career is just marking time. Both Crowe and Hemsworth were adequate without being outstanding. The movie itself is just watchable. Crowe plays a drone controller monitoring some Seal-type infiltration, whilst Hemsworth is the soldier in trouble on the ground. Luke Hemsworth also has a small role.

Thanks for the write up, Rusty. I will give it a look based on Macy's appearance. Still not a fan of Cena and I doubt I ever will be.

Just on Russell Crowe, he has had a very very ordinary roles lately. Recently I saw Land Of Bad with Liam Hemsworth, another whose career is just marking time. Both Crowe and Hemsworth were adequate without being outstanding. The movie itself is just watchable. Crowe plays a drone controller monitoring some Seal-type infiltration, whilst Hemsworth is the soldier in trouble on the ground. Luke Hemsworth also has a small role.

Re Cena. My first thought on first 20 minutes of Ricky S was this is why people like Jim Carrey, Nick Cage and James Franco all turned the role down. Real career killer role. But, to be fair in the end the role turns around and he nails it but first thought, what was Cena's management thinking in accepting the role?

Re Crowe. Never heard of that film "Land of the Bad" and very much doubt I would watch it.

He was in another terrible movie "True history of the Kelly gang" (2019) and "Greatest beer run ever" (2022).

Seems to be pushing out films for quantity, not quality.

Re Cena. My first thought on first 20 minutes of Ricky S was this is why people like Jim Carrey, Nick Cage and James Franco all turned the role down. Real career killer role. But, to be fair in the end the role turns around and he nails it but first thought, what was Cena's management thinking in accepting the role?

Re Crowe. Never heard of that film "Land of the Bad" and very much doubt I would watch it.

He was in another terrible movie "True history of the Kelly gang" (2019) and "Greatest beer run ever" (2022).

Seems to be pushing out films for quantity, not quality.
Same thing happened with Mel Gibson (although he had other issues). Adding age, facial hair and body weight is a real career killer.

Liam Neeson is another who just keeps pumping out B-grade movies (but he has done it without the facial hair and excess weight.)

Mel Gibson starred with William H Macy in Blood Father (2016). One of Gibson's better recent efforts.

Last edited:
Same thing happened with Mel Gibson (although he had other issues). Adding age, facial hair and body weight is a real career killer.

Liam Neeson is another who just keeps pumping out B-grade movies (but he has done it without the facial hair and excess weight.)

Mel Gibson starred with William H Macy in Blood Father (2016). One of Gibson's better recent efforts.

I enjoyed Blood Father.

He was also good in "Get the Gringo" (2012) but that was now 12 years ago... he has made a lot of movies since, all pretty forgettable by the looks of things.

Liam Neeson seems to play a version of his tough guy in Taken. Mind you I did enjoy "The Ice Road: (2021). Blacklight that was filmed here and in Canberra was forgettable.

William Macy was in a little film called "Cellular" (2004) as a retiring police sergeant going into a small business of skin care with his wife. Was the running gag of this little film that worked.

Have also watched the first two episodes of "Masters of the Air" (Apple Tv).

I still rank Band of Brothers as the very best of this type of show and episode 1 "Currehee" as one of the best ever. I still put that episode in particular on rotation to play every now and again.

The scenes in the B17 verses the flak and German fighters is excellent. As they say "no fox holes in the sky"

For me, not sure exactly how many aircraft are real and flying vs digital versions. Shame the producers didn't follow the movie "Battle of Britain" (1969) that bought over 100 real aircraft into the air and to become the 35th largest Airforce in the world at the time!

Austin Butler is ok but no Damien Lewis. Thought him ok as "Tex" in "Once upon a time in Hollywood" - just love the ending of that movie.

Will keep watching.

arupist - Re: Shannara Chronicles - never heard of it.
Hey RustyHawk. When I was a younger fella back inn the 70's my brother bought me a bantam paperback called "Currahee. As Eagle Screamed' written by Donlad Burgett. It started my interest in the 101st Airborne during WWII. Burgett was in 501st Battalion 101st so not the 506 of BOB. Was a fantastic read as were the 3 others which covered Market Garden, Bastogne and entering Germany. If BOB interested you, these are worth the read, albeit covering 1 persons lived experience as opposed to a number.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I finally got round to watching this. I must say I was pleasantly surprised and well worth the time spent watching. I also thought Cena was OK once he got past the initial gross comedy sketches. There is something about an oversized, steroid-filled wrestler and comedy that just doesn't quite fit. Might watch again but it will be a while.

Recommended series:
I dredged up an older series called The Sinner (2017-21) starring Bill Pullman and Jessica Biel (Mrs Timberlake). This was supposed to be a singular story told over 8 episodes but proved so popular that additional stories were created for Pullman's character.
Pullman plays an aging detective in a small town in NY State. Jessica Biel is a housewife with a young son spending a family day at a lakeside beach, when all of a sudden she jumps up and attacks and kills a man sitting close by. Seems clear cut, eh? But not so for the Detective who wants to know why.

Excellent series and highly recommended. Bill Pullman is excellent. I have not yet watched Seasons 2 - 4 but they are on the 'to-do' list.

I finally got round to watching this. I must say I was pleasantly surprised and well worth the time spent watching. I also thought Cena was OK once he got past the initial gross comedy sketches. There is something about an oversized, steroid-filled wrestler and comedy that just doesn't quite fit. Might watch again but it will be a while.

Recommended series:
I dredged up an older series called The Sinner (2017-21) starring Bill Pullman and Jessica Biel (Mrs Timberlake). This was supposed to be a singular story told over 8 episodes but proved so popular that additional stories were created for Pullman's character.
Pullman plays an aging detective in a small town in NY State. Jessica Biel is a housewife with a young son spending a family day at a lakeside beach, when all of a sudden she jumps up and attacks and kills a man sitting close by. Seems clear cut, eh? But not so for the Detective who wants to know why.

Excellent series and highly recommended. Bill Pullman is excellent. I have not yet watched Seasons 2 - 4 but they are on the 'to-do' list.
Very good series indeed. The other seasons aren't as good but worth the time.
Just finished The gentleman on Netflix and didn't mind it.
Still trying to finish blacklist but at nine seasons I'm giving it a break at season four. Never thought James Spader could be this watchable

The Gentlemen on Netflix.

Guy Ritchie series in the form as the movie with the same name.

One episode in and it's great.

Yep, my wife and I just finished binging this.

Probably one episode too long. Sags a bit around episodes 5-6 in terms of pacing (I suspect a bit too much padding to get it to 8 episoides), but that's my only criticism. Hell, I sag a bit around the middle, so who am I to criticize?

The rest of it is absolutely terrific, and well worth the time invested.

Over the last few weeks I have tried to get into a few series, but there is not much around of any value. One that appears to be well worth it is:

Parish starring Giancarlo Esposito (Breaking Bad). Follows a taxi driver whose life is turned upside down when he agrees to pick-up a Zimbabwean gangster mostly known for exploiting undocumented immigrants at the U.S. southern ports.
If it comes here it will likely be on Prime. First episode is excellent and trailers look good.

Renegade Nell (Disney) is a light-hearted adventure set at the time of the Jacobite uprising in England. A little bit of magic and a little bit of evil. Louisa Harland as Nell is very good. Well worth a look for a little period escapism.

Now, I am an unabashed Sci-Fi nut. There have been two series released recently. The first is Constellation starring Noomi (Girl with the Dragon Tattoo) Rapace. The second is 3-Body Problem starring Liam Cunningham and John Bradley and Jonathon Price - all appeared in GOT. This one has got a little mention or two in the press, mainly because there is a scene which has really upset the Chinese.

I watched the first episode of both of these and just could not get interested at all. For now I am unlikely to finish them unless someone comes here and raves about them.

But to me, both are very, very ordinary.

Dune 2: magnificent.
I’m going to commit unforgivable heresy here - I’ve read the book three times, I actually think Villenueve tells that story better than Herbert himself did.
(Sits and waits for lynch mob)
I just got round to watching this. I agree it was a pretty good movie. I thought the production team did a great job.

I have never read the book. I tried on more than one occasion but just couldn't get into it. A bit like Asimov's Foundation series. Some writers have great ideas for stories but their writing style makes it tough going. IMO Herbert and Asimov fall into this category.

I remember in my first year at Uni (oh, so long ago), I spent hours in the Monash book shop reading EE Doc Smith's Lensman series. (couldn't afford to buy a book, let alone the whole series). Difference in writing styles where you can become enthralled very quickly.

The Lensmen Series was runner up in the 1966 Hugo Awards for the Best All-Time Series, losing to Asimov's Foundation Series. Dune won the Nebula Award for Best Novel, also in 1966. Heady days.

Last edited:
Dune 2: magnificent.
I’m going to commit unforgivable heresy here - I’ve read the book three times, I actually think Villenueve tells that story better than Herbert himself did.
(Sits and waits for lynch mob)
watched it over the weekend also. Was immense!

Read the books many years ago (along with the sequels and prequals) and I think the movie is a great adaptation.

I think some people get to precious re the original books and how they must be adapted to film.

Read the books many years ago (along with the sequels and prequals) and I think the movie is a great adaptation.

I think some people get to precious re the original books and how they must be adapted to film.
Agreed 150%. Anyone who whines about that stuff does not understand the difference between the two mediums.

I would agree with you in some cases. As said above, I could not get into the books at all, so I am stoked to have been presented with Villeneuve's adaptation, which I have enjoyed immensely.

However, there are some literary greats whose work should not be adapted. Take Tolkien as an example. The LOTR films were excellent and kept largely to the books. The Hobbit, on the other hand, is only a small book which was stretched into three lengthy movies and Jackson took pieces of The Silmarillion to role into an epic story. Was he right? I am not too sure, but I still enjoyed it.

Herbert, like Tolkien, created a detailed universe that that leaves one in awe. To me, Herbert lacked the story-telling capability of Tolkien, and that is where Villeneuve's brilliance comes in to play - to present an immensely enjoyable view of Herbert's universe.

I am tempted to mention GOT, but Martin himself is responsible for how that turned out by not finishing his own story.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back