What are you listening to now - No. 8 🎵🎻🎶🎼🎸

Remove this Banner Ad

The first truly surprising release of 2015, Alkaloid's debut album “The Malkuth Grimoire” creates a dark union between the technical and the progressive in entirely unexpected ways.

To give you an idea of what to expect, Alkaloid can be compared to a progressive extreme metal outfit like Enslaved (or perhaps long ago Opeth) colliding with an instrument-heavy and technical band like Blotted Science. In this case, however, tech metal gets a much-needed dose of the melodic along with a twist of Gothic atmosphere.

Today is a Nick Cave and Kate Bush day.

A few years back, I spent weeks thinking about my all time favourite songs. Tough gig!... I tried to base it on how mental I went over each song at my peak ....... Into My Arms came in at number 4 ... What a beautiful song. Love Nick Cave. :thumbsu:

Kate Bush sang Running Up That Hill, and with a touch of irony, her house is currently at risk of collapsing down a cliff face, I believe. :thumbsdown: But, Kate Bush :thumbsu:

Perhaps a lot of people are sick of it ? I don't really hear new songs all that much, and new pop songs even less, so I've only recently discovered this gem.

Perhaps a lot of people are sick of it ? I don't really hear new songs all that much, and new pop songs even less, so I've only recently discovered this gem.

Unfortunately I'm over it, but his new single is good. I really like his voice.
The version of Take Me to Church that plays on the radio was recorded in his attic.

King of Ruin

Love my metal (Dark, Ambient etc) but it's of a very pigeon-holed type. Blut Aus Nord.....Sun O)))....Opeth (I know. Not really metal any more)
I do like Rammstein though. Funny guys :)

Any newcomers worth giving time to?
Rammstein. Oh how we love your antics!
Other than Alkaloid, I can't really think of anyone new. Should check out Enslaved they still do amazing things unlike Opeth... However, they've been around for a while now.

These guys ain't completely new but this was their 2nd only full album. (You listened to this one when I originally posted it.)

Holy s**t this album is something.

With jazz flutes, 70s prog keyboards, and melodic death metal, large sections of this sophomore outing sound like everything Opeth should be doing but it isn't anymore. Large pieces of this album just remind you of 'Watershed' and that won album of the year.

Just about every style of music is masterfully displayed here, and all worked together without skipping a beat.

I'll do some more digging for you. See what else I can find.

Yeah, it's a ripper.. Very cool band.

16 hour roadtrip ... hmm ... Bluesfest?
Yeah. Suffering today for marching around in the pouring rain and vaguely fecal mud for three days but saw some great acts.

Haven't been for nearly a decade and it's a pretty different vibe these days. Thick with bondi hipsters in pilgrim hats.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

St. Vincent - Birth In Reverse:

Gee we have some Metal heads in here.

How about some old fashioned goodness and music that actually means something!

Surely Aphrodite knows this one and what a beautiful song. :D

I could also see thylacine60 sweeping across a ballroom floor to this! :thumbsu:

^
Down memory lane thread.

Good music never ages! ;)

I grew up with that sort of stuff and Mum and Dad dancing around the lounge room to it. :thumbsu:

Metal is everywhere. Embrace it!

No way. I like music that has lyrics that actually mean something and people that can actually sing!

Blokes screaming with 78 guitars going off all at once is not my thing.

Each to their own though i suppose.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back