What ever happend to Shane Loveless?

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Feb 10, 2005
AFL Club
Adelaide
Just wondering if anyone out there knows the whearabouts of the great Loveless these days?

Followed his career back in the mid 90's when he was making some good coin from a lot of central victorian clubs, feel free to add to this list of clubs where the big fella has lined up in the goalsquare

Leitchville (N&EFL)
Colbinabbin (HDFL)
Heathcote? (HDFL)

Also believe he pulled the boots on for either ardmonda or rushworth

tbtbtbtbtbtbtb said:
Just wondering if anyone out there knows the whearabouts of the great Loveless these days?

Followed his career back in the mid 90's when he was making some good coin from a lot of central victorian clubs, feel free to add to this list of clubs where the big fella has lined up in the goalsquare

Leitchville (N&EFL)
Colbinabbin (HDFL)
Heathcote? (HDFL)

Also believe he pulled the boots on for either ardmonda or rushworth
yeah he played at a $h!t load of clubs around the area, just nothing is really springing to mind atm. think I am correct in saying that he played at 2 kdfl clubs, one of them being ardmona. he may have finished up in nsw somewhere (??). it would be interesting to know whether or not he actually played at the same country side for 2 years running at any stage - anyone know??

Played at a couple of clubs in the Western Border Football League - South Gambier and Casterton - where he kicked tons, and had custom-made jumpers!!!

Believe he played more than one year at Casterton, but could be mistaken.

Paul Daffey's book Local Rites had a story on Loveless, tracking where he had been. I've got it, but not with me at the moment, else I'd have answers!!

Nice work boys - Yep he has had the custom made jumpers at both Colbo and another club that slips my mind.

Does anyone know if he has ever played at the one club 2 seasons in a row?

Feel free to cut and paste this list if you have an addition - asterix indicates 100 goal season.

Leitchville* (N&EFL)
Colbinabbin (HDFL)
Heathcote? (HDFL)
Ardmonda (KDFL?)
Nagambie (KDFL)
Tatura (GVFL)
South Gambier (WBFL)
Casterton (WBFL)

I believe he played at sale or somewhere down in the latrobe league as well?

He started his career at Sale before going onto Footscray before returning to Sale where he started to kick shed loads of goals.
He was the best full-forward in the old Latrobe Valley league and he played in Sale's last flag team in 1986.
Soon after he started his nomadic ways, Western Border, Goulburn Valley before coming back to Sale in early 1990s.
Then coached Nambrok in the North Gippsland league and one of his last clubs he played for was Heyfiled, albeit this was a very, very brief stint.

Did he have the custom jumper made for Sale Magpies or Sale City HBF? Do you know what club he played for in WB league and GV. Did he play senior footy at Footscray?

tbtbtbtbtbtbtb said:
Nice work boys - Yep he has had the custom made jumpers at both Colbo and another club that slips my mind.

Does anyone know if he has ever played at the one club 2 seasons in a row?

Feel free to cut and paste this list if you have an addition - asterix indicates 100 goal season.

Leitchville* (N&EFL)
Colbinabbin (HDFL)
Heathcote? (HDFL)
Ardmonda (KDFL?)
Nagambie (KDFL)
Tatura (GVFL)
South Gambier (WBFL)
Casterton (WBFL)
a mate ran around with him at Nagambie,said he was a pleasure to watch,and hard as nails to boot..will find out if he played consecutive years

Played for Apsley in the KNFL played in a GF but lost his head and started a blue with John Mossop (ex North and Geelong) and Penola rolled them which was an upset as Apsley were raging favourites. Not sure if he kicked a ton, will find out and post later but from all reports he was not a nice bloke.

I remember reading, I think it was in the Herald a couple of years ago, he played with Glenorchy in the old TFL in the Early 80's.

He played for heyfield about 2-3 years go, had a few big bags of goals kicked 17 in 1 game i think... and then he played one game for Boisdale Briagalong last year got into a fight/wrestle and had about 2 kicks with 1 goal for the whole day and was never sighted again at the club..

is a cricket umpire in the sale maffra cricket league now

(Log in to remove this ad.)

jozeph said:
Played for Apsley in the KNFL played in a GF but lost his head and started a blue with John Mossop (ex North and Geelong) and Penola rolled them which was an upset as Apsley were raging favourites. Not sure if he kicked a ton, will find out and post later but from all reports he was not a nice bloke.

Think he might have had pretty light fingers too......

Paul Daffey's book has him at

Sale (Latrobe Valley FL)
Footscray (28 gms, 72 gls)
Glenorchy (Tasmanian FL)
Tatura and Kyabram (Goulburn Valley FL)
Sale (again)
Casterton and South Gambier (Western Border FL)
Apsley (Kowree-Naracoorte FL)
Kerang Rovers (Mid Murray FL?)
Colbinabbin (Heathcote DFL)
Ardmona and Nagambie (Kyabram DFL).

Motty said:

Sale (Latrobe Valley FL)
Glenorchy (Tasmanian FL)
Sale (again)
sensational work motty. did he really kick 72 goals at footscray from that amount of games?? was he delisted?? sounds unlucky to me if so.

I think the big fellow was partly responsible for Kelvin Templeton winning a Brownlow Medal with the Doggies.
Loveless could play nowhere else, but full-forward and Templeton shifted out to CHF and became a champion.
At least that's what he has told people.

harsh said:
I think the big fellow was partly responsible for Kelvin Templeton winning a Brownlow Medal with the Doggies.
Loveless could play nowhere else, but full-forward and Templeton shifted out to CHF and became a champion.
At least that's what he has told people.
he he he. it sounds like the big fella was a fairly one dimensional type player. did he leave the goal square much apart from when he had to lead??

Don't get me wrong the bloke could play.
I watched him a lot when he played for Sale and boy was he good when he was on.
But, when you are 120 kegs you aren't going to spend a lot of time on the ball are you?
The only bloke I reckon he didn't kick goals against on a regular basis during his Latrobe Valley league career (when he was at his prime) was a fellow named David McMahon from Bairnsdale.
"Darb" would lift another gear every time the Redlegs played Sale and Loveless was in the side.
He would spend the day belting the big bloke in the back of the melon and each time Loveless squealed to the umps more punishment was forthcoming.
They were great days.

I just posted about him in the Dogs site in a thread on greatest performances.

In one game against South Melbourne he put in his best VFL effort, bagging 5 goals via hauling in several spectacular one handed marks in the square.

I think Loveless suffered from the old "country boy in big smoke" syndrome and couldn't settle down - the proof could be his extra wardrobe just for his footy jumpers from his travels over the past 25 years!!!

Motty said:

Sale (Latrobe Valley FL)
Glenorchy (Tasmanian FL)
Sale (again)

Nice work Motty - where do you get that book from...

I cant quite remember, but im sure I read something about him disappearing about 3 or 4 years ago. Was in the Hearald Sun, something about going missing around the Shepp region. I recall something about the Goulbourn River as well. Maybe it will ring a bell to someone?? Could have been rubbish too.

Your post rings a bell junkie. There was a number of rumours circulating around the Shepparton area about the big fellas whereabouts.
I heard a story once about Nagambie bringing him back from sydney for a grand final and paying him a large amount of money per goal. Problem was, the opposition team heard this and offered him double that for a point. Think he kicked about 6 goals 6 points.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back