Autopsy What have you liked, learnt and hated from Season 2015

Remove this Banner Ad

Rubbish.

Flat track bullies don't lose to 1st (Fremantle by 7 points), 3rd (Hawthorn by 10 points), 4th (Sydney by 11 points), 5th (Richmond by 5 points), 6th (Bulldogs by 18 points) by close margins. They get flogged in those games.

West Coast Eagles lost to Port by 14, Fremantle by 19, Fremantle by 7 and Essendon by 3 last season and we were the team that defined flat track bully.

Rubbish.

Flat track bullies don't lose to 1st (Fremantle by 7 points), 3rd (Hawthorn by 10 points), 4th (Sydney by 11 points), 5th (Richmond by 5 points), 6th (Bulldogs by 18 points) by close margins. They get flogged in those games.
The Magpies only defeated one team in the top 8 (North) and thrashed bad sides like Carlton, Gold Coast and St. Kilda. Your team currently are the very definition of flat track bullies

Rubbish.

Flat track bullies don't lose to 1st (Fremantle by 7 points), 3rd (Hawthorn by 10 points), 4th (Sydney by 11 points), 5th (Richmond by 5 points), 6th (Bulldogs by 18 points) by close margins. They get flogged in those games.[/QUOTE

liked #sobrave #lolnorf #carlspoon #standbyhird

learnt, form can change in an instant

hated, judds departure ... he deserved better

Rubbish.

You forgot losing to Richmond by 91....

Amazing that when a team has the temerity to actually try and win a game in the last round, they are accused of naivety and 'wrecking their prospects'. Great life lesson for kids - it's OK to tank it up. Smart-arse and sneaky is best.

Liked:
*The return of some of the underdogs...the Bulldogs to be exact.
*The first ever top 2 WA finish and potential WA Grand Final.
*The opportunity to see a team win 3 in a row is a rare sight. I would love to be witness.
*The tight battle for top 4 and top 8 was phenomenal.
*Hird leaving was the fresh start Essendon so desperately need.
*How we learn to come together in tragedy and put all differences aside. No matter who you barrack for.
LOVED - The fact we made the finals when after the tragedy we were a write-off. Just us making the Finals is a GF victory equivalent for me, because that is what Phil wanted and we accomplished his goal. I like to believe we did him proud.

Hated:
*Dare I say more? The loss of Phil will forever be the moment that this season, for me, became tainted with utter bitterness, regardless how we do in the Finals. The saddest day in football that I could recall in 21 years. Miss him everyday as he was the puzzle piece we needed to be a genuine contender. I don't want any other coach, I just want Phil back.

*The Adam Goodes debacle. Not opening that can of worms again. Went too far for too long.
*The umpiring takes the biscuit. Pathetic. The most 50m penalties I have seen in a long time and have essentially ruined the game forever.
*The fact that we are in 2015 and we have technology that can make holographic images of the deceased....but yet Channel 7 cannot broadcast games in HD.
*The whining on BigFooty forums by certain team fans.
*Eddie McGuire's shitty, cringeworthy commentary that goes from supporting to plain barracking (i.e. CASSSBOOULTT)

Learnt:

*The AFL is corrupt AF.

Amazing that when a team has the temerity to actually try and win a game in the last round, they are accused of naivety and 'wrecking their prospects'. Great life lesson for kids - it's OK to tank it up. Smart-arse and sneaky is best.

I've learnt that it is okay to tank if you may benefit (ie. Brisbane being put down for not) but it is not okay if you have no real chance to benefit on the off chance that another team might somehow be worse off (North). Sensible competition we run yeah?

Liked: the rise of the Eagles, Goodes unbreakable under immense pressure, the dogs game style, Naitanui is an out and out superstar , if Eagles make the granny put $500 on him winning the norm smith.

Hated: the racist elements hiding behind ' we boo everyone ', the 50 m penalties and the sliding into legs rule, some players are being penalised for wanting the footy more. Carltons endless Friday nights, hawthorn supporters arrogance

Learnt: the AFL will one day reach a crisis point with its meddling in the game, and it's not too far away

I don't think there's an issue with North resting players - it was the right move for them, and the AFL said it was ok. It was in their best interest, and they were allowed to do it, so good on them for doing it. Scott asking for an apology was pretty stupid though - if anything, the players actually trying to win yet getting bested by 7 goals actually did more to make it look like they were happy to lose via the selection table.

I do think there's an issue with the AFL actually saying it's ok though. Fans who went to the North and Fremantle games got treated to one team that was way less strong than it would have been had those clubs cared about winning. Effectively, they were just a little above state-league quality. Adelaide seemed like it would get a raw deal, though fortunately Saturday results ensured that it had no bearing on that front.

Liked:

Adelaide: Paddy Dangerfield being an out & out gun, & consummate pro. Wherever he plays next year (seems to be certainly Geelong), he has to be one of the most bipartisan-ly loved players going around. Nothing but respect. Also Tex's Mo.

Brisbane: Loved the victory of round 23. I hope they sort out their list and the ongoing outgoings. Christensen and Beams were both great pickups, and this will be vindicated in the coming years. Both are genuine A grade midfielders, but coming from radically different environments: it will take time.

Footscray: Luke Beveridge, Lin Jong, Bob Murphy, the Bont. Whats not to like about the doggies.

Carlton: That they got the spoon. Troy Menzel.

Collingwood: Jamie Elliott - An eerie resemblance to a prime Paul Chapman, maybe even shades of Daicos. The fact I am mentioning those two names together alone augers well for the CFC. Also Buckley, I have a real respect for his abilities as a coach. I ignorantly thought of him as a meathead; could not be more wrong. A very cognizant man.

Dons: Daniher. Jobe showing us how to deal with absurd pressure. Getting rid of Hird. I hope Worsfold comes to fruition and they can finally start to heal.

Freo: No Crowley.

Geelong: Dan Menzel, he has brownlow potential. Mark my words, he will be a star. The lesser Kolo Jazzknee. How 'under the radar' they are. Could easily be top 4 next year, even challenge for the flag. Have been destroyed by injury throughout their rebuild, now its finally coming together. 3 rising star nominations - Wells is still doing his thing. Real respect for Scott as a coach. Also Blitz; a true revelation.

GC: Firm treatment of Bennell. They need to instill values within a very young group, and based on the prime clubs, this is the way to do it. The greater Kolo Jazzknee.

Giants: Mumford. Love the man. Despite his accolades, remains severely underrated. Selwood-esque levels of leadership.

Hawthorn: Rioli finally proving how valuable he is to a larger audience. Burgoyne being Burgoyne. Lewis, he is a stand up guy, deserves the Captaincy.

Melbourne: Hogan. Also Roos has done a damn good job; culture is incredibly important. * the haters, the dees are on the right path. Some big Wins this year.

Roos: Sad to say but not much to like. This year (unlikely) or no chance for the flag for at least 5 years. I have liked Daws development. Really need to start retiring some of the fogies.

Port: Wingard. Ryder. Wines. et al. Hinkley is no slouch, he will see them up the ladder next year. Im happy to write off 2015 as an aberration for them. Lack of bay covers is nice.

Richmond: Oh the tiges, finally things are happening. I hope they go deep. Still missing some parts. Pick up Stevie J and maybe another piece, 2016 could be a potential flag. They didn't finish ninth.

St Kilda: Well they are less s**t than people expected. I doubt the staying power of their list though. Happy to be proven wrong.

Swans: Treatment of Buddy in a true hour of need. It is easy to forget that there is life beyond football; ultimately it is only a game. Also Goodes, he is an absolute champion & ambassador of our game. The vitriol he was served was disgusting and deserves no defense. I hope he can forgive us all as supporters. Some people really need to pull their heads in.

WCE: I have utmost respect for the club, and hope they get the job done this year. NicNat is looking the tour-de-force he always threatened to be. Ill be barracking for them this finals series.

Learnt:

That what the media reports is carefully curated. That Barrett is a tosspot. That Jordan Lewis is severely underrated for his contributions. That Hogan will be idolized to an Ablett sr level, give him 5 years. That Swallow deserves better. That Essendon will probably require a Melbourne level languish to recover. That Freo are kinda ****ed going forward, & that pav deserves better. Also Lachie Neale is an absolute gun. That WCE are gonna dominate in the next few years. That Geelong knows when to transition players, and seems to has the best list management team going around. That Gold Coast (the team) is greater than GAJ. That Goldstien has brownlow potential. That Gaff has brownlow potential (!!!!!).

Hated:

Hird destroying his own legacy. Goodes being vilified. Hodge acting like a self-righteous w***er when he should know better.

Loved

How a team like the Eagles have lost so many players to injuries ...it's two key backs .....got smashed in derby one for the year

5 months later we are hosting a qualifying final at home ....what the hell happened ?

That's why we love the game because we really don't know what's going to happen

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Liked:

Adelaide: Paddy Dangerfield being an out & out gun, & consummate pro. Wherever he plays next year (seems to be certainly Geelong), he has to be one of the most bipartisan-ly loved players going around. Nothing but respect. Also Tex's Mo.

Brisbane: Loved the victory of round 23. I hope they sort out their list and the ongoing outgoings. Christensen and Beams were both great pickups, and this will be vindicated in the coming years. Both are genuine A grade midfielders, but coming from radically different environments: it will take time.

Footscray: Luke Beveridge, Lin Jong, Bob Murphy, the Bont. Whats not to like about the doggies.

Carlton: That they got the spoon. Troy Menzel.

Collingwood: Jamie Elliott - An eerie resemblance to a prime Paul Chapman, maybe even shades of Daicos. The fact I am mentioning those two names together alone augers well for the CFC. Also Buckley, I have a real respect for his abilities as a coach. I ignorantly thought of him as a meathead; could not be more wrong. A very cognizant man.

Dons: Daniher. Jobe showing us how to deal with absurd pressure. Getting rid of Hird. I hope Worsfold comes to fruition and they can finally start to heal.

Freo: No Crowley.

Geelong: Dan Menzel, he has brownlow potential. Mark my words, he will be a star. The lesser Kolo Jazzknee. How 'under the radar' they are. Could easily be top 4 next year, even challenge for the flag. Have been destroyed by injury throughout their rebuild, now its finally coming together. 3 rising star nominations - Wells is still doing his thing. Real respect for Scott as a coach. Also Blitz; a true revelation.

GC: Firm treatment of Bennell. They need to instill values within a very young group, and based on the prime clubs, this is the way to do it. The greater Kolo Jazzknee.

Giants: Mumford. Love the man. Despite his accolades, remains severely underrated. Selwood-esque levels of leadership.

Hawthorn: Rioli finally proving how valuable he is to a larger audience. Burgoyne being Burgoyne. Lewis, he is a stand up guy, deserves the Captaincy.

Melbourne: Hogan. Also Roos has done a damn good job; culture is incredibly important. **** the haters, the dees are on the right path. Some big Wins this year.

Roos: Sad to say but not much to like. This year (unlikely) or no chance for the flag for at least 5 years. I have liked Daws development. Really need to start retiring some of the fogies.

Port: Wingard. Ryder. Wines. et al. Hinkley is no slouch, he will see them up the ladder next year. Im happy to write off 2015 as an aberration for them. Lack of bay covers is nice.

Richmond: Oh the tiges, finally things are happening. I hope they go deep. Still missing some parts. Pick up Stevie J and maybe another piece, 2016 could be a potential flag. They didn't finish ninth.

St Kilda: Well they are less s**t than people expected. I doubt the staying power of their list though. Happy to be proven wrong.

Swans: Treatment of Buddy in a true hour of need. It is easy to forget that there is life beyond football; ultimately it is only a game. Also Goodes, he is an absolute champion & ambassador of our game. The vitriol he was served was disgusting and deserves no defense. I hope he can forgive us all as supporters. Some people really need to pull their heads in.

WCE: I have utmost respect for the club, and hope they get the job done this year. NicNat is looking the tour-de-force he always threatened to be. Ill be barracking for them this finals series.
So nice to see some unalloyed positivity around this place.

Liked: Bulldogs, Stringer (kid could be anything), Crows rebounding, Collingwood missing the finals, beating Freo, Sydney, Crows, Pies, Tigers, Bulldogs comfortably and shaking the flat track bullies tag,

Disliked: whole Essendon thing going on still, Hird coming out looking like a victim, Brisbane's culture, Hobart weather.

liked: WA teams top 2, Adelaide's courage, Western Bulldogs

disliked: WADA appeal, media, luke hodge point post bump.

Liked: The general evenness of the competition. You never really know what you're going to get, anything can happen on any given day.

Disliked: The media focus that was/is on how the game is getting boring. Every man and his dog throwing their two bob into the discussion into what needs to be done to make it 'better'.

Liked: An open premiership race, with some bogey teams for the top 4 lurking in the bottom half. . The WA 1-2 putting an interesting spin on this final series. The situation at EFC creating an opportunity for the kids who showed a bit.

Learnt: A lot of people are underestimating the impact that appeal had on EFC as a club. That isn't to say everything else was perfect, far from it. However, I think talk of Melbourne-esque rebuilds are premature. Time will tell though, I guess.

Disliked: The appeal. It affected the players, the old coach, the ability to get another coach, the ability to attract free agents, the ability to trade and could have an adverse effect on attracting sponsors and members heading into next season.

Liked
  • The AFL community rallying around a few tragic events during the year. The murder of Philip Walsh. The death of Brett Ratten's son and the passing of Maddy Riewoldt.
  • Carlton with a wooden spoon. Looks like they will be in the cellar for a long, long time.
  • The form of both Adelaide, Footscray & GWS. Time will tell if they become powerhouse clubs to replace Hawthorn, Geelong, Sydney etc.
  • Early season predictions coming unstuck. WCE hosting a qualifying final. Who would have thought that after round 1.
Hated
  • Essendon and the WADA issue. When will it end?
  • For nearly bumping a player's head into the behind post, 2 weeks. Especially after Hodge had already been suspended earlier in the season. The whole judiciary system has been so inconsistent
  • Carlton games on a Friday night. Will they be replaced with more Adelaide, Footscray & GWS games
  • The Adam Goodes saga and the byproducts. Just read a thread where a poster objected to his opinion being criticized because he was part Aboriginal.
Learnt
  • Melbourne could be next year's break out team. They beat a couple of the top 8 sides plus GWS, Geelong & Collingwood. Need to be able to beat teams below them consistently.
  • St Kilda's season not as great as previously thought. 5 wins against the rest of the basement 6 and a 1-13-1 record against the top 12 clubs.
  • The AFL is determined to keep all Melbourne clubs viable no matter how hopeless they become.
  • The demise of 'BIG' name coaches. James Hird is gone. Mick Malthouse is gone. If you're team is not going well, the coach will be under pressure.

Liked

Dogs emergence
Response to phil walsh by footy community and the crows response especially
Footy in hd every game
Tippett becoming the clear best ruck/fwd in the afl
Watching stringer play

Disliked
Fyfe hype way over the top
Ablett being injured most of the year
Suns performance
Demons wasting space in the comp
Inconsistent mrp
Too many poor games
Poor media performers

Yeah 30 odd votes in half a season doesnt deserve any hype...

Remove this Banner Ad

Back