What is your current net worth ?

Remove this Banner Ad

I bought at 24.

Had I bought at 22/23 I would be no better off, likewise had I bought at 27/28 I would be no worse off.

It's not always about getting in as soon as you can, there are other factors in play.
To be fair you are giving a 4 year period as an example.

I'm looking at 2007-2012. That's an inclusive period of 6 years.

Yes property is a long term investment but it stagnates/falls for periods regardless what RE agents have to say. I have no doubt there are people who rushed into buying as early as possible 'before it goes up again' that would've been better off holding off for a period.

18 Year Old student
$50,000 Term Deposit
$6,000 Shares
$1,200 Cash
Probably like $1,000 in electronic crap
$4,000 super

Lul

I am 35
House - $675,000 - owe 140K
Investment Property (Unit Surfers) $ 140000 - ( renting out at 225 PW) Payed a lot less than the 2 contracts that were offered due to paying cash. Was a bank repo and sold for 210K 3 years earlier, hoping it is a good call.
Cash $ 35000
Car $ 20000

Looking at getting a 5 acre property about 10 minutes away from where i am now for 400K and renting out the home for 600 a week.

This is why I have no intention of having kids or getting married. As soon as a man shacks up with a wife and kids, he can consider himself a wage slave for the rest of his life.

No thanks.
but you will end up dying a lonely old man. Best investment is your kids IMO

Until the missus gets bored and buggers off with them.

Nah, work hard, develop sound financial habits and don't shack up. That's how a man succeeds these days.
This is why I have no intention of having kids or getting married. As soon as a man shacks up with a wife and kids, he can consider himself a wage slave for the rest of his life.

No thanks.
Unless she earns a bucket load more than you lol ,as for the kids thing i agree staying well away.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

That's the problem right there. Especially if you are in your 20's.
Yep plenty of slutty tramps around....I guess you just have to wait till u find a good girl. Plenty of them as we'll.

29 years old

Cash - $45,000
Car - $5,000
Superannuation - $50,000 or so. I try not to look at it as it makes me mad that I can't have it til I'm hell old.

I'm totally debt free though, which is quite liberating. I'm looking at taking the property plunge at some point, hence the cash. I'm just unsure if that property will be in Australia, the US or even a rising developing nation in Asia like Thailand or Philippines (which both have added risk, but strong potential and the knowledge that I'm not going to have to spend 450k for a one or two bedroom investment condo in a good area - I can just splash 75k for a 2 bed investment on a tropical island or in a good area of Bangkok).

I'd previously owned shares and sold out of them at the right time (through pure arse, I'll add). Just hoarding cash now, putting a decent amount of my savings into US dollars though, as I think its a good idea to hedge a bit against Australia's strong dollar.

I've heard the thing about buying property in Thailand is apparently if you are a foreigner you are required to have a Thai "business partner".

Until the missus gets bored and buggers off with them.

Nah, work hard, develop sound financial habits and don't shack up. That's how a man succeeds these days.

Shouldn't you be in Angeles City with Manila_Playa87 ?

Been married for 23 years mate. I consider myself very successful. And I've worked hard, developed sound financial habits and guess what. I'm shacked up.
And my wife is yet to bugger off with the kids because she's bored. And if she does, 2 out of the 3 kids could drive her.

Financial success is one thing. And I have well and truly achieved it.
But trust me Glove. Family success shits all over it.

Shouldn't you be in Angeles City with Manila_Playa87 ?

Been married for 23 years mate. I consider myself very successful. And I've worked hard, developed sound financial habits and guess what. I'm shacked up.
And my wife is yet to bugger off with the kids because she's bored. And if she does, 2 out of the 3 kids could drive her.

Financial success is one thing. And I have well and truly achieved it.
But trust me Glove. Family success shits all over it.
Believe me, I'd rather have that. But women these days are far different. For them it appears to be about sleeping around in their 20's then holding their hand out in their 30's.

No thanks.