Prediction What light through yonder premiership window breaks - who?

Remove this Banner Ad

Imet Hassa

All Australian
Aug 18, 2016
AFL Club
Melbourne
I have to wonder - how big is the window?
We have strengthened our premiership window. BUT apparently Essendon are also in the premiership window after getting Shiel, the window is open for the Beams enhanced Pies, Hawks peering through the window with their amazing super trading skills, Freo opening the window with their new power forward, Tiger's window still ajar, Sydney lurking in the bushes eyeing off the window. The Eagles are inside the window looking out at the rest. Adelaide broke the window with the power of their stare. GWS found the window to be toughened, double glazed. The Cats are too busy licking themselves on the sill to worry about the window and most of the others have the curtains fully drawn. GC of course dream of such luxuries as windows.
So which teams really are in the Premiership Window over the next two years?

Essendon can win a premiership with a better midfield, but i feel like they're still overrated. I don't think they have the replacements to deal with a key tall at either end going down. Missing Daniher hurt them this year. Someone like Hurley goes down i don't know who comes up from the VFL to replace him.

Geelong although i say it yearly, i feel are close to a crash

Hawthorn are right back in the window.

As for ourselves, we should be aiming for a top 4 finnish

Eagles our biggest competition. Honestly think we will go past the Tigers and Pies next year, not sure how much Crows and Bombers will improve.
I think the tigers will still be up there. Still got the core players and play the MCG well.

Pies are an interesting one, i can see them following Adelaide, but it wouldn't surprise me if they made finals again. But probably not a premiership threat

In the window frame: Eagles, Tigers, Pies, Demons, Bombers.

Looking at, but not in the window: Swans, Cats, Giants, Crows, Power, Hawks, Kangaroos

Not near the window: Dockers, Saints, Suns, Lions, Blues, Dogs

I'd have Freo in that middle bracket. If they can get a few guys fit, having a decent forward line should improve them a fair bit. They should push for finals next season. If someone like Bennell can pull his finger out and get with the program, plus the likes of Walters, Hill, Fyfe, etc stay fit, they're a dangerous side.

Why even bother predicting after the last few premiers. What gets a team to the top is something intangible. Port have enough talent to win a premiership.
None of the Dogs Tigers or Pies were in their window when they made their runs.

I reckon GWS with a streamlined squad will be a threat.

Hard to predict. For mine there's three clear frontrunners: Collingwood, Richmond and West Coast

-Collingwood have an awesome midfield, which they've only gone and strengthened by adding Beams and they won't have to adjust their playing style too much.

-Richmond didn't lose any players I would consider Best 22, but did add Tom Lynch. If they avoid injuries they will be right up there.

-West Coast are strong at home and have some brilliant key talls as well as outside run to carve teams up. Their new ground having similar dimensions to the MCG makes them a threat on grand final day.

Melbourne and Hawthorn could all be contenders, however there's more variables involved as the trades these teams did will impact the way they play. How does Melbourne line up in defence when May and Lever play and up forward with no Hogan? For Hawthorn, can Wingard recapture the form he had in the earlier part of his career? Dureyea and Burton leaving and Frawley not at his prime do they need to restructure their defence?

Essendon are a bit of an unknown. Have some good players, can play an attractive style of footy, have some real weapons and usually pull one or two miraculous wins out their ass each season, but then aren't always consistent enough to play like this for a season.

I'd have Freo in that middle bracket. If they can get a few guys fit, having a decent forward line should improve them a fair bit. They should push for finals next season. If someone like Bennell can pull his finger out and get with the program, plus the likes of Walters, Hill, Fyfe, etc stay fit, they're a dangerous side.

If, if, if...

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Read somewhere that we were the youngest prelim side in over 10 years.

Our midfield, Viney 24, Brayshaw 22, Harmes 22, Petracca 22 and Oliver 21 will keep us competitive for quite some time.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Somewhat regrettably, Pies are my tip for the 2019 premiership. That’s a very strong midfield and their speed overall is much better than ours.
I believe it is a core tenet of being a Melbourne supporter that one never tips Collingwood for anything other than a heartbreaking loss. Perhaps more a maxim but the principle is nonetheless there.

Eagles our biggest competition. Honestly think we will go past the Tigers and Pies next year, not sure how much Crows and Bombers will improve.

You crazy. Good man but crazy

Pies almost the best team me thinks

If, if, if...

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Plenty of if, if, if sides around the comp. Doggies 2016 was an if, if, if Premiership.

If we don’t win the flag I will kick approximately 17 possums
In 2019 or some future point?

I have a vision of you on your deathbed aged 97 calling for a priest and 17 possums.

In 2019 or some future point?

I have a vision of you on your deathbed aged 97 calling for a priest and 17 possums.
Every single year on October 27 if we are not premiers I will kick approximately 17 possums. But never 17 exactly. Only approximately

I think it depends on some players with rapid improvement. Harmes was brewing for a while and suddenly stepped up a level in the second half of the season. If guys like spargo, Fritsch, Weid Petracca take it up a notch we could do it. The more I think about it the more I love the addition of May. Our defense was our biggest chink in our armour. Look how West Coast defense held up after being jumped in the first quarter particularly in the second and third. Or even look how the addition of Brian Lake helped the hawks in 2013.

A rolling five year average?
I’m planning to keep a tally and I’m expecting to have a demonstrated average of 17 at the end. Happy to start a thread in 5 years so we can monitor the average over time.

I’m planning to keep a tally and I’m expecting to have a demonstrated average of 17 at the end. Happy to start a thread in 5 years so we can monitor the average over time.
Would it put your mind at ease if I said that I kicked 85 this year?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back