What rule would you Add/Remove/Change to improve the game?

Remove this Banner Ad

kingbob182

Senior List
Apr 19, 2011
South East Melbourne
AFL Club
Essendon
I feel like the game is relatively good to watch at the moment. I'd rather see elite runners breaking tackles than watch 80s vision of bombs to a 1 on 1 in the forward 50 all day. But I think the game could be improved.

For me, I'd change this:
1. 50m penalty for any player who sits on, holds, or just delays the play of a player who's just taken an intercept mark or caused a turnover with a tackle (holding the ball, incorrect disposal, etc.)
This is kinda already in the rules. It's just never enforced. Players constantly hold up the play, pretending they can't get up or holding onto an opponent who has taken a clear mark while defenders flood back. Punishing this would allow for faster counter-attacking play and reduce flooding, since teams can't rely on holding up play and getting defenders back in position after turnovers.
19.1 SPIRIT AND INTENTION After a Mark or Free Kick has been awarded to a Player, a Fifty Metre Penalty will be awarded against the opposing Team which delays or impedes the play, or behaves in an unsportsmanlike manner.

2. Stop paying free kicks when a player makes no attempt to keep the ball in play, waving their arms, calling for deliberate instead of taking posession, if they and the player who's kicked or handballed it have both shown insufficent intent to keep it in play, throw it in.
This encourages players to keep the game moving.

3. No free kick awarded for Holding The Man if a player begins to take posession and then drops the ball.

A bit like the first one, this is essentially already a rule (Incorrect Disposal). But players constantly get away with incorrect disposal by just letting go of the footy when they pick it up and get immediately tackled, pretending they couldn't pick it up cleanly. This would come down to umpires assessment of whether a player chose to drop the footy.

4. No marks paid for kicking the ball backwards in the defensive 50.
I don't even enjoy seeing my own team do this at the end of a match. It's boring and takes the excitement out of a lot of close finishes. I know it was tested in the Wizard Cup in the early 2000s. I can't remember how it went.

Anything to dissuade players from rushing a behind. For instance penalising players waiting for opposition players to come into the goal square area only to then rush the ball.
That and penalising forwards and ruckmen for excessive scragging on the goal line.
Anything that would go in a marking contest is fine, just not dragging a player down or physically pushing them while they are flying to touch the ball.

I think the AFL have done a 1st class job - in making the game so much more watchable and goals being scored

I can remember 5-6 years ago approx Brad Scott was coaching North etc - and the CEO at Channel 7 said - look the Scott bros are great coaches but they are so defensive

At that time - you could turn on a Frid night game - and neither team had scored 15 minutes into the 1st qtr - nothing - no goals or pts - and didnt look like scoring - and CH 7 like everyone else want to see some goals - so they can play a few adds in between each - they are paying the bills

They might have seemed extreme rule changes at the time - but the proof in the pudding is in the eating

And i think they have done a 1st class job - because AFL was absolute shhiit - rugby scrum after rugby scrumm - unwatchable junk

Where as today the pendulum has swung back to actually looking like Aust Rules football

I think the AFL have done a 1st class job - in making the game so much more watchable and goals being scored

I can remember 5-6 years ago approx Brad Scott was coaching North etc - and the CEO at Channel 7 said - look the Scott bros are great coaches but they are so defensive

At that time - you could turn on a Frid night game - and neither team had scored 15 minutes into the 1st qtr - nothing - no goals or pts - and didnt look like scoring - and CH 7 like everyone else want to see some goals - so they can play a few adds in between each - they are paying the bills

They might have seemed extreme rule changes at the time - but the proof in the pudding is in the eating

And i think they have done a 1st class job - because AFL was absolute shhiit - rugby scrum after rugby scrumm - unwatchable junk

Where as today the pendulum has swung back to actually looking like Aust Rules football
Yeah, there have been plenty of rules I thought we ridiculous in the years since then but very quickly they became a good addition/change to the game.

14 players a side rather than 18. Remove the four worst players from each team and cut congestion further. Imagine how much better your team would be if your bottom four players didn't get a game each weekend.

I think it would foster a more elite competition, especially since there will soon be 19 clubs competing for talent.

I’d like to see umpires have a signal for “great tackle” before they ball up. It might help reduce the number of morons who think that every great tackle should be rewarded with a holding the ball decision.

Regards

S. Pete

1) 1m seperation at ball ups - Rucks are going to engage either way. So why slow it down to ensure they're 1m away when you release the ball, only to let them engage while it's midair?

2) 3rd man up - There is still the occasional series of repeat ball-ups. I still have fond memories of Dangerfield clearing the congestion by jumping over the contest to clear the congestion.

3a) Get rid of the 6-6-6 rule.
or;
3b) Get rid of the 6-6-6 warning.

Using your hands in a players back in a marking contest - Worked well when they introduced it many years ago, then changed it back. Would stop the guesswork of did he push the opponent or did the player in front, dive forward

Pay a free kick against for last kick or handball going out over the boundary - Removes the inconsistency in decision making

Bounce the ball start of each qtr, then throw it up after each goal. Sick of the recalls

No warning for a 6 6 6 breach

Don't wait for ruckmen at around the ground ball ups or boundary throw ins

Remove ruck nominations

- Shot clock down from 30 to 20 seconds. How often does a player get settled, all ready to go, and the umpire calls out "15 gone." So they just stand there watching themselves on the screen for another 10-15 seconds. (Then pass it off to someone else. Repeat).

- If a player takes a shot, but their teammate has interfered with the player on the mark, they don't get to re-take the kick. It's a free against. Doesn't happen that often, but it's a no-brainer.

I would change the game to 15 a side. Lose 1 forward, 1 defender, 1 centre player. This is more to save suburban/country football more than anything having to find numbers.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Also players being fined for not wearing long socks. I'm pretty sure it is a rule, but the AFL have let it slide.

I would change the game to 15 a side. Lose 1 forward, 1 defender, 1 centre player. This is more to save suburban/country football more than anything having to find numbers.
Why not just play 15 a side in suburban/country footy if you don't get enough players?

Dissent rule gone.

Wouldnt mind seeing players have the ability to challenge an umpiring decision either. Maybe they can do it once or twice a quarter, so in practice it would only be used in a situation costing a goal. Time-wasting would still be a rule, so someone challenging a mark because they were infringed upon with no actual grounds to challenge would have a 50m penalty against. Might be useful when a forward is awarded a mark, often two players will be holding eachother and only one gets called. Or a player gets paid a mark after the ball hits someone elses hands. Few players (fat tom porkins) not afraid of taking a dive now and then either, which is easier to catch on the replay than live.

I don’t know why but I’ve always felt if a ball is turned over the 15 meter requirement for it to be considered a mark should be removed.

Can someone explain why hitting out of bounds in a ruck or when spoiling deliberately is allowed when kicking and rushing is not? How is the result any different?

Said it before but 15 a side. Would open up the game a lot due to it being way harder to setup defensive structures. Every player would have more space to move with 6 fewer players on the ground.

15 a side also works with two new teams coming in as each team will need a smaller list.

Get rid of deliberate/insufficient intent. Dont have rules where you have to be a mind reader. Ball goes out who cares. Clock stops and ball gets thrown back in and its a 50-50 contest.

Oh and no away shorts must be white rule.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back