What rule would you Add/Remove/Change to improve the game?

Remove this Banner Ad

Give a bonus premiership point if a team scores over 100 points, whether they win or lose.

Encourages and rewards attacking, free scoring footy, and gives an actual reason for giving out 4 points for a win instead of 2.

Give a bonus premiership point if a team scores over 100 points, whether they win or lose.

Encourages and rewards attacking, free scoring footy, and gives an actual reason for giving out 4 points for a win instead of 2.
Nah, as probably been mentioned before it rewards Marvel Stadium teams where conditions are perfect.

On SM-S908E using BigFooty.com mobile app

Nah, as probably been mentioned before it rewards Marvel Stadium teams where conditions are perfect.

I don't believe this is a significant issue.

Based on a rough/quick count, this season, there were 42 matches at Docklands stadium. Teams reached 100 on 17 occasions, and there was one match where both teams reached that score.

There were 48 matches at the MCG. Teams reached 100 on 25 occasions, and there were FOUR matches where both teams reached that score.

There were 28 matches at the Adelaide Oval (including a few neutral games from Gather round). Teams reached 100 on 17 occasions. Zero occasions of both teams getting there.

If anything, Docklands stadium appears to be a disadvantage, at least compared with the next two most commonly used stadiums in 2023.

I reckon you can make all sorts of arguments for and against a particular stadium being higher scoring based on supposition. "the smaller dimensions and faster turf (to run on) of the Docklands stadium are a disadvantage because it is easier to defend and therefore harder to score". "the SCG is a disadvantage because it is smaller and easier to shut down space". "The SCG is an advantage because it is smaller and easier to score from the center square"

For this season, at least, the approaches taken by individual teams seem to VASTLY outweigh stadium factors. Both Adelaide and Port played high scoring football (relative to ladder pos), and matches at the AO were not far off TWICE as likely to lead to one team scoring 100pts (including losses where the opposition got there instead). The Saints and Bulldogs were both very hard to score against (relative to ladder position) and this seems to have skewed Docklands.

I considered that. Looking at avg combined scores since we went back to having full games after COVID at start of 2021:
Marvel 166.7
MCG 162.4
Optus 161.9
Adelaide 166.9
The other grounds have less games and sample size.
Can't really say the roof really lifts scoring, the average score in Adelaide is (not statistically significantly) higher even though it's narrower, longer and open to the elements. Maybe in the past when scoring was higher and play was more direct it was more of an advantage.

Ironically it might disadvantage my club the most but if it causes everyone to adapt a more attacking style it's a long term win for the game.

I think there are a host of rule changes that make sense to improve the game.

1. Bonus premiership point for 100pts (no-brainer- give coaches an incentive to figure out high scoring and they'll do it)

2. Man on the Mark cannot come from 'behind' the player. Must come from in front (makes zoning harder).

3. Tighten up holding the ball to match fan expectations; that is, a player who takes clean possession of the football needs to handball or kick it. 'Prior Opportunity' is currently too lenient, which means players can either not dispose of it, throw it, or drop it, with too much leniency.

4. Introduce a 25m penalty for minor infringements - including ANY dissent, protected area, etc. 50m is for late hits.

5. Much tougher enforcement of rules in marking contests. No arms wrapped around from behind. Chopping arms, grappling, etc. Just pay it as a free kick. If Charlie Curnow kicks 8 in round 1 and 6 of them are free kicks, so be it - defenders will adjust eventually.

As an example of this one - in the grand final, the controversial 'play on call' shouldn't have mattered, because Darcy Moore CLEARLY wraps his arm around Daniher (who has front position and a clean line to run and jump at the ball), and uses this for leverage to spoil, while also preventing Daniher jumping. Under the current rules, this is allowed to happen 60 times per game and I don't think a free kick should have been paid - it is just a prominent example.

But I want to watch football where Daniher beating Moore to front position and leading up to the kick is an exciting moment, not a routine 'defender wraps him up, prevents him jumping, punches' moment. This is the key to getting 100 goal full forwards and to opening up scoring. Note - I don't want more free kicks, necessarily. I want defenders to have to stop doing this.

1700370373281.png

6. TV should be forced to use the 'count-up' clock as per the ground. The only people who should know exactly how much time is remaining are the time-keepers (and I guess clubs can do their own version, but they should never be 100% clear).

So you think it's okay during the game for players to physically intimidate umpires? Or constantly abuse them? You know this is their job, right ?
The consequence of being suspended for weeks would put a stop to that, I don't know why you want umpires ruining the matches just because their feelings are hurt, though.

This would disadvantage teams playing in wet weather. I think there should be other ways to get teams playing offensively like removing backwards marking, not even sure why they haven't done that already.

3. Tighten up holding the ball to match fan expectations; that is, a player who takes clean possession of the football needs to handball or kick it. 'Prior Opportunity' is currently too lenient, which means players can either not dispose of it, throw it, or drop it, with too much leniency.
I think if players drop the ball 'at any time' instead of properly disposing the ball, while being tackled or touched by an opponent it should be an instant holding the ball, or 'incorrect disposal'. Could prevent dangerous tackles from happening.

I would like the umpires to stop paying free kicks in ruck contests unless there is a blatant offence. Most of these ruck infringement free kicks are a mystery not just to the fans, tv viewers and commentators, but to the players.

If a player receives high contact as a result of slipping over when trying to evade a tackler, pay holding the ball. So many times a player will run an arc trying to get around a tackler, only to slip as the tackler initiates contact and end up with a free kick for high contact

I think there are a host of rule changes that make sense to improve the game.

1. Bonus premiership point for 100pts (no-brainer- give coaches an incentive to figure out high scoring and they'll do it)

2. Man on the Mark cannot come from 'behind' the player. Must come from in front (makes zoning harder).

4. Introduce a 25m penalty for minor infringements - including ANY dissent, protected area, etc. 50m is for late hits.

5. Much tougher enforcement of rules in marking contests. No arms wrapped around from behind. Chopping arms, grappling, etc. Just pay it as a free kick. If Charlie Curnow kicks 8 in round 1 and 6 of them are free kicks, so be it - defenders will adjust eventually.

As an example of this one - in the grand final, the controversial 'play on call' shouldn't have mattered, because Darcy Moore CLEARLY wraps his arm around Daniher (who has front position and a clean line to run and jump at the ball), and uses this for leverage to spoil, while also preventing Daniher jumping. Under the current rules, this is allowed to happen 60 times per game and I don't think a free kick should have been paid - it is just a prominent example.

But I want to watch football where Daniher beating Moore to front position and leading up to the kick is an exciting moment, not a routine 'defender wraps him up, prevents him jumping, punches' moment. This is the key to getting 100 goal full forwards and to opening up scoring. Note - I don't want more free kicks, necessarily. I want defenders to have to stop doing this.

View attachment 1855836

6. TV should be forced to use the 'count-up' clock as per the ground. The only people who should know exactly how much time is remaining are the time-keepers (and I guess clubs can do their own version, but they should never be 100% clear).

100% this.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I think the video score review system is such a blight that I would change scoring rules to remove the need for it. Ball touched off boot or hits post, but still carries on over the goal-line = goal. Defender punches ball through the two big sticks instead of through the behind area = goal (the latter would have the added benefit of keeping the ball in play more as defenders rush fewer behinds)
The goal umpire has one job, determine if the ball has crossed a line between two sticks.

Rossy Lyon's rectum just prolapsed at the thought of that being brought in

GL7170BGG.2-1.jpg

I'm guessing it won't be very popular, but I've always liked the thought of having a 9 point super goal for a goal outside 50.

It would obviously encourage a lot of long range shooting and flip a lot of games on their head, both of which would only be a good thing from where I stand.

I really think it could add a new and exciting dynamic to the game, but it's obviously not going to happen.

I wonder if they were ever seriously considering bringing it in? It was a certainly a staple of the pre season comp for a long time.

I posted something in the Hawks forum last year about changes I'd make.

As soon as another tackler joins the fray, they bring other opposition players and it turns into a maul. If there were less players in the actual contest, the umpires would have far less difficulty adjudicating because there are less players impeding their view. As a byproduct, you would also penalise any teammate of the player being tackled as you'd assume they're either helping them hold the ball in or trying to get the ball handed off which are both against the rules.

If an additional tackler joins an established tackle - free kick
If a teammate joins the player being tackled - free kick
If the player is tackled and drops / throws the ball away - free kick, incorrect disposal
If the player is tackled and the ball spills free on the ground - free kick, incorrect disposal
If the player has chance to get rid of the ball and is locked up in a tackle - free kick, htb
If the player is tackled and has one arm free, give it a 3 second count - free kick, htb
If the player and ball are locked up, give it a 3 second count - ball up

If anything, with this rule change you're giving both the tackler and the player in possession a better opportunity to either get a free or dispose of it.

So you think it's okay during the game for players to physically intimidate umpires? Or constantly abuse them? You know this is their job, right ?

Umpires do not get physically intimidated. They don't get abused at all, let alone constantly.

And if they do occasionally cop a spray from a player, move on. This is the absolutely top level professional competition played by adults, not 8 year olds. They can cope with a frustrated player venting from time to time.

Extreme: Get rid of point posts.

3 points for goal (as long as ball kicked between posts, can touch post)
6 points for goal outside 50M
1 point for rushed, handball through, a try etc

If ball hits post and goes back into play - Play on

No mark awarded for kicks backwards (must be clearly backward)

Umpires do not get physically intimidated. They don't get abused at all, let alone constantly.

And if they do occasionally cop a spray from a player, move on. This is the absolutely top level professional competition played by adults, not 8 year olds. They can cope with a frustrated player venting from time to time.

You don’t remember Toby green bumping an umpire he was frustrated with? You think a 6’6 massive guy screaming in your face isn’t intimidating for umpires?

The key part you don’t understand is whatever happens at afl level filters down to junior levels. We have a crisis of umpire shortages across the country because clowns think it’s normal to scream abuse at them, we need to cut it out

You don’t remember Toby green bumping an umpire he was frustrated with? You think a 6’6 massive guy screaming in your face isn’t intimidating for umpires?

The key part you don’t understand is whatever happens at afl level filters down to junior levels. We have a crisis of umpire shortages across the country because clowns think it’s normal to scream abuse at them, we need to cut it out

Toby Greene bumped into an umpire. Once.

Who exactly was the 6 foot 6 massive guy screaming in an umpire's face? It sure wasn't Greene.

The game is about the players, not the umpires. If the umpires stopped talking to players a lot more, and especially stopped trying to coach them, the game would be improved immediately.

14 players a side rather than 18. Remove the four worst players from each team and cut congestion further. Imagine how much better your team would be if your bottom four players didn't get a game each weekend.

I think it would foster a more elite competition, especially since there will soon be 19 clubs competing for talent.

AFLW has 16 and I think a lack of congestion is a myth. Less people = less players to make a switch and key forwards typically.

My change
I think the tactical sub should actually be tactical and teams should be able to choose 1 player from 2-3 choices based on need/tactics

Remove this Banner Ad

Back