What rule would you Add/Remove/Change to improve the game?

Remove this Banner Ad

Removing ruck nominations is nice in theory, but I can guarentee you that in the very first game this is changed in, one team will complain about their "ruck" being held and not given a fair chance to compete.

For example, opposition is expecting Nankervis to ruck a throw in, but instead, we use Pickett, but he's being held by his direct opponent in the contest and therefore doesn't get a chance to contest the ruck.

Been thinking more about this tread. Here’s a few things

Similar to all teams get a point for scoring I’d prefer

Rule 1. - teams that maintain a pressure rating over 180 get an extra point a game during the regular season.

Rule 1b teams that average a pressure rating less then 160 over the regular season are not eligible for compensation picks

Essentially this rule mandates and incentivises a base level of effort from all teams which should make games better to watch

2- if you are going to keep the draft. (But the AFL really shouldnt, just go full academies for all teams) introduce a draft lottery. The bottom 6 teams all have a chance at pick 1 to avoid tanking.

3- the tactical sub should be a tactical choice and teams should be able to choose 1 of 3 players to bring on based on team needs. Ie if you want an extra tall, small or mid ect.

4- saw this above, man on the mark has to come from in front of the footy and must be the closest person

5- if you nominate to take a scoring shot and then don’t take it, then it’s a free kick to the oppo

6- some kind of yellow card system for dirty play ie last year Liam Henry punched Jordan Ridley in the face, injured him, Ridley went off and port benefited from that.

Maybe the team that receives the yellow can’t make an interchange for 5 minutes or looses 3 interchanges or something ect

Hitting the post but still entering the goals should be a goal. What kind of dumb sport denies a goal because it nicked the side of the goals and still went in. Imagine they tried to bring that rule in to soccer. Imagine the response to such a stupid rule.

Last edited:
Player A gets thrown to the ground after grappling with Player B in a marking contest.

Currently, Player A would get a free kick.

I don't see why Player B should get penalised for being stronger.

Rule change: make this play on.

I think you'd see more stay-at-home monster forwards. Maybe more goals overall. Maybe it turns footy into a wrestling match but I'd be keen to see how it plays out.

Removing ruck nominations is nice in theory, but I can guarentee you that in the very first game this is changed in, one team will complain about their "ruck" being held and not given a fair chance to compete.

For example, opposition is expecting Nankervis to ruck a throw in, but instead, we use Pickett, but he's being held by his direct opponent in the contest and therefore doesn't get a chance to contest the ruck.
Pretty sure being held without the ball is a free kick anyway.

Simple, the rucks are the only ones allowed to contest. If it is confusing because two tall blokes from one team are there, they need to tell the umpires if they switch.

No more short people shenanigans or coaching tactics on an obvious contest.

If the ruckman is being blocked or held in the contest then it is an automatic free kick, don't understand why you think it should be anything else.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Pretty sure being held without the ball is a free kick anyway.

If the ruckman is being blocked or held in the contest then it is an automatic free kick, don't understand why you think it should be anything else.

My point is, if there is no recognised ruck in the vicinity of the ball up/throw in, how do you know who is going to ruck if you do remove nominations?

If the ball goes into the goals off the post, or padding, or flags, then it's a goal. Like the way every other sport in the world such as soccer, basketball, rugby, hockey (sensibly) adjudicates it.

If it hits the post and rebounds back out, then it's a behind. It needs to be this way, as unlike these other aforementioned sports we reward shots that miss the goals.

"Deliberate" should be based upon whether or not the player would've kicked, handballed, tapped or punched the football in that direction even it the boundary line were not there.

If the player would've, then it's not deliberate.
If the player wouldn't have, then it is deliberate.

Just fix the blocking in a ruck contest rule. I don't think people know when those are called half the time what it's for
Patrick Dangerfield in particular became an expert at drawing a free kick by running into an opponent while feigning to be going up for a ruck contest. Can't blame him, and his football intelligence has always been at the top end, but it was farcical.

I would get rid of the touched off the boot rule. There's way too much doubt in the decision that stops the game and often deflates a great moment.

You don’t remember Toby green bumping an umpire he was frustrated with? You think a 6’6 massive guy screaming in your face isn’t intimidating for umpires?

The key part you don’t understand is whatever happens at afl level filters down to junior levels. We have a crisis of umpire shortages across the country because clowns think it’s normal to scream abuse at them, we need to cut it out
Why should the match be compromised because of the umpires feelings? Greene barely even knocked that umpire, that was no John Bourke moment. And that little stuff should be handled off the field with the tribunal, not the umpires messing with the match. They went too far in 2022 when players put their arms up in the air and the umpires were penalizing them for microaggressions.

"Deliberate" should be based upon whether or not the player would've kicked, handballed, tapped or punched the football in that direction even it the boundary line were not there.

If the player would've, then it's not deliberate.
If the player wouldn't have, then it is deliberate.
Maybe it should just be a throw in from the centre of the goal line, instead of giving possession to the defender.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back