What shits ya!

Remove this Banner Ad

Meh. No sympathy. I've gone overseas teaching, as well as in remote communities in the NT, earlier in my career in order to get a job. The younger generation just want everything handed to them on a silver platter. A bit like these mumma boys drafted to an interstate club who don't want to go, or go back home a year later. You're playing AFL footy. Suck it up princess.
just venting my frustrations mate, i’m well aware of the various incentives wrt working in NT and rurally that teachers are being offered for signing on (including the debt removal ones, but i already paid those debts off myself) but presently it’s simply just airing grievances

gastro!

been keeled over the shitter all week, thought i was fine thurs/fri but the runs are back and im in all sorts
Once went on a school camp where 38/51 staff and students ended up with Gastro. It was not pretty. Ended up with paramedics coming to assess the situation and a bus of six extra staff driven from Mildura to Adelaide to help us out

Once went on a school camp where 38/51 staff and students ended up with Gastro. It was not pretty. Ended up with paramedics coming to assess the situation and a bus of six extra staff driven from Mildura to Adelaide to help us out
something similar happened on my year 7 camp back in the day, most of the cohort (except for my cabin ironically) got super sick, not good

got covid, ******* sucks.

happened to happen right after my "first" (aka) induction day wherein the school i'll be at has ****ed up all my paperwork by spelling my surname incorrectly!

still haven't been given my school email credentials which is very annoying, but i've left a message with the person in charge of it & hopefully they're able to sort it out asap

People. It is give way to the traffic "in the round about " not drive flat out and then get on your horn because there is a truck in the round about you ******* dipshits.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The death of intelligent public discourse.

I am really getting frustrated with the unmitigated rubbish most people seem happy to spew on basically any subject. Feels like there is nowhere to access balanced, thoughtful news or discussion.

BF being the exception that proves the rule of course….

Way too many cookers out there banding together to encourage each other. MSN comments are just a cesspit of boomerwaffen.
That is why I refrain from reading comments. It is not just Boomers or lefties or righties . It is all sides when they band together on a common cause. It is also media. I know I am in the minority though as I will read the news from all sides. Sky. ABC. The Guardian but I never bother reading the comments. I suppose it is why I have never had Twitter or Insta . Just not interested in reading hundreds of random opinions.

That is why I refrain from reading comments. It is not just Boomers or lefties or righties . It is all sides when they band together on a common cause. It is also media. I know I am in the minority though as I will read the news from all sides. Sky. ABC. The Guardian but I never bother reading the comments. I suppose it is why I have never had Twitter or Insta . Just not interested in reading hundreds of random opinions.
I got crook for a couple of weeks just as Israel-Hamas kicked off and got deep into X (Twitter). It really got in my head - it’s amazing how it shapes and warps your view of the world and your mental state.

I want intelligent, balanced news but that is 100% not the place to get it. Nobody on there actually thinks - just regurgitate the taking points of whichever side they are rusted on to.

I can't help myself sometimes bored at work. 😑 I really should stop.

I had twitter as a way of curating my own newsfeed, follow the journalists directly from any side and all of them to find articles I wanted to read from various perspectives.

The good thing about it was that you could set it up so you only saw stuff from people you followed, and only in chronological order.

Didn’t have to read random opinions unless you wanted to, and usually you didn’t want to.

That and the trending hashtags feature usually caught the breaking news long before anywhere else.

It’s all ****ed up now of course.

Algorithms want to give you things you’ll click on, so they keep giving you more of the stuff you already clicked on. If you’re susceptible to shouty clickbait or angry racist dog whistling then that’s what you’ll get, snowball effect until it’s an echo chamber.

I got crook for a couple of weeks just as Israel-Hamas kicked off and got deep into X (Twitter). It really got in my head - it’s amazing how it shapes and warps your view of the world and your mental state.

I want intelligent, balanced news but that is 100% not the place to get it. Nobody on there actually thinks - just regurgitate the taking points of whichever side they are rusted on to.

One thing I've noticed in the last couple years is how many people, online at least, have coupled beliefs. For example, if you see they have opinion X on subject Y you can predict with a high degree of accuracy what their opinion will be on a lot of seemingly unrelated things.

I get it with tribal and essentially harmless things like football. But with real word issues it's scary because it is indicative of a lack of critical thinking. The hypocrisy kills me too. I try to go out of my way to read opposing views from different sources but you really have to make an effort as if the algorithm picks up you are leaning a certain way on an issue it very quickly creates an echo chamber, which unfortunately works for engagement (which is the new measure of "success" - to hell with accuracy...) because it keeps people doom scrolling and clicking on things they agree with for a dopamine hit.

One thing I've noticed in the last couple years is how many people, online at least, have coupled beliefs. For example, if you see they have opinion X on subject Y you can predict with a high degree of accuracy what their opinion will be on a lot of seemingly unrelated things.

I get it with tribal and essentially harmless things like football. But with real word issues it's scary because it is indicative of a lack of critical thinking. The hypocrisy kills me too. I try to go out of my way to read opposing views from different sources but you really have to make an effort as if the algorithm picks up you are leaning a certain way on an issue it very quickly creates an echo chamber, which unfortunately works for engagement (which is the new measure of "success" - to hell with accuracy...) because it keeps people doom scrolling and clicking on things they agree with for a dopamine hit.
So true. You know their thoughts on one subject, you know their thoughts on every subject.

Yep. Agree. It is why I read different news feeds. Although they still carry their own bias I prefer to read both sides in that forum rather than jumping into the pack.

Yep. Agree. It is why I read different news feeds. Although they still carry their own bias I prefer to read both sides in that forum rather than jumping into the pack.
Epistemology.

If a news source is giving you opinions dressed up as fact (eg "an expert says so") then that news source is propaganda. OTOH, if it gives direct observations (whether it's by a journalist or someone the journalist is asking) then that news source is worthwhile. The same goes for all sources - irrespective of whether they are an "actual" news site with hundreds of years of history or some random people engaging in twitter gossip.

Direct observations are the only things worth considering. Of course, those "observations" might be fabrications but the difference is that a corroboration of observations is highly valid, a corroboration of opinions is still worth the same as just the one - zero.

Understand that and you'll rarely go wrong.

I'm the same. I've tried Twitter, failed to see the value. Don't use Facebook, TikTok or those platforms for the same reason.

I try to read news from both conservative and progressive sites, but even they can't help themselves.

I'm centre left, but the ABC are a joke with their ALP cheerleading. Likewise Sky with LNP.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back