What stinks about the England National Team?

Remove this Banner Ad

i rated Caulker at Spurs and was shocked when he moved to QPR. That is what has set his England career back, not a solitary England cap. Friendlies should be used to try out youngsters to see if they have what it takes at the international level. Don't see the problem with it tbh. If you are correct and 11 of the 32 players Woy has tried in friendlies kick on and have good England careers, then Woy has done well.

Went to Cardiff first, from memory he didn't really set the world on fire there.

I think it was only really Swansea that he really looked a player. That and a few months at Spurs.

Went to Cardiff first, from memory he didn't really set the world on fire there.
He did too. Another club well run and with a good track record in player development. Cardiff to QPR after 1 year. His agent would be laughing all the way to the bank with the agent fees those two clubs have been known to pay!

He did too. Another club well run and with a good track record in player development. Cardiff to QPR after 1 year. His agent would be laughing all the way to the bank with the agent fees those two clubs have been known to pay!

I was surprised at the time that Spurs didn't seem too bothered about cashing in. Was he at the end of his contract?

I was surprised at the time that Spurs didn't seem too bothered about cashing in. Was he at the end of his contract?
We got 8m for him I think. We just signed Vertonghen and he didn't want to fight for his place. Again I think the role of the agent had a lot to do with the move. Agent sign on fees + higher wage vs fight for his place behind good players, definitely think he was poorly pushed to move for the Cardiff project by his advisers and not shoved out by Spurs

Curious that a player like Austin doesn't get a look in despite showing last year his ability at the top level. Does that ability just vanish merely because he's playing a league lower?

Curious that a player like Austin doesn't get a look in despite showing last year his ability at the top level. Does that ability just vanish merely because he's playing a league lower?
i told you on the poddy mate, national team managers don't pick players from the Championship. Danny Drinkwater would have 70 caps by now if they did.

Ok woy get Dele Alli off now. Not good for him to get MOTM here in a midfield battle with Pogba and co. Real Madrid will be circling us soon!

i told you on the poddy mate, national team managers don't pick players from the Championship. Danny Drinkwater would have 70 caps by now if they did.

Yeah I'm just curious about the justification, especially when it's someone who was in the set up or close to it last year.

I'd give them both a go. They are friendlies. What's the worst thing that happens?

sigh. I'm not disputing that. Has Cahill not done more for Australia than Kewell? Yes he has. Is Kewell technically better? Of course.
I said Kewell is Australia's most talented player.

To which you replied with

Surely Cahill is......
So yes, you are disputing that.

Ha ha, well played Alli. Certainly showed me. That goal has really set him up now. I don't think it was ever in doubt (though Drinkwater's form was better (if they were even, that's a different story), but never mind that. It was over a spot in an injury riddled team. Thanks for taking the whizz, Bojan.) He's got a good future that one. Pochettino's certainly got a good nose for youth.

Even forgetting France's performance, England look like they're really on the ball. Really good stuff by the sounds of it. If that is the sort of stuff they'll deliver in the Euros, I think they'll do fine. That style's got promise.

Now if you excuse me, I think I'll go focus on more realistic propositions, like Algeria, and Austria, and record tying efforts against Newcastle.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

He was in the team last season but was an unused sub.

This season he's been out for several weeks with a hamstring.

That's not the reason he's not being considered for England.

He's also been back for probably a fortnight or more.

And after all, using an injury to explain it is clearly a cop out. ;)

7 goals in 12 appearances should have him on the raider. But 0 in 3 since being out for a whole month is definitely a concern

I'd say 11 will go on to be 30+ cap internationals. Way too early to say if any will reach that top bracket like Lampard, Gerrard, Becks etc.

Interesting one is Caulker. Was the England cap to blame for his stagnation or was it his money chasing move to QPR? His cap came with little fanfare and he had a solid season with us behind King & Dawson. Your theory is that the cap ruins the player but he was solid and continued to develop for the first 6 months after the cap. Things went sour when he jumped at the big contract at QPR who was/is a rabble and started playing with a lot of leeches at a club that is woeful at developing talent.
Lallana already has 16 caps. Im sure he will play 30+ probably looking at around 50 or so I think.

Sterling will probably play 100 times for England.

What's the reason then? The championship? Has anyone been selected for England that played in the championship?

Surely it's harder to compare goal tallies when you're coming up against lesser opposition?

And who would he replace? Sturridge, Kane, Rooney (rightly or wrongly), Vardy all ahead of him as the striker (currently). Could easily go past Vardy if his form stops. I'm sure I'm probably missing someone as well.

What's the reason then? The championship? Has anyone been selected for England that played in the championship?

Surely it's harder to compare goal tallies when you're coming up against lesser opposition?

And who would he replace? Sturridge, Kane, Rooney (rightly or wrongly), Vardy all ahead of him as the striker (currently). Could easily go past Vardy if his form stops. I'm sure I'm probably missing someone as well.

Zaha got called up once and that was only to secure his allegiance.

Which is precisely my point.

Who cares? It's not as if the EPL is perfectly equivalent in skill to Internationals, nor are players playing in different comps for a country such as Australia, so why should it matter?

Should note that Heaton is still in the team at present, and is Burnley's captain. Then again, the keepers situation is a bit of a weird one. Nugent was with Preston for his cap, as I'm sure a few others were.

But the Championship would have certainly hurt Austin's chances. His failure to move out of QPR have potentially cost him more time in the England squad even when the others didn't perform. Ideally you want your players playing in the top tier league against quality.

Should note that Heaton is still in the team at present, and is Burnley's captain. Then again, the keepers situation is a bit of a weird one. Nugent was with Preston for his cap, as I'm sure a few others were.

But the Championship would have certainly hurt Austin's chances. His failure to move out of QPR have potentially cost him more time in the England squad even when the others didn't perform. Ideally you want your players playing in the top tier league against quality.

I would argue the Championship is a higher quality than some of the European leagues.

Zaha, just after he signed for United (but stayed at Palace for a year).

Remove this Banner Ad

Back