What team do you barrack for in the AFL?

Remove this Banner Ad

JPetro83

Premiership Player
Sep 25, 2014
Adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Sturt, Adel United & Leeds United
This has probably been brought up on here before.. but I rarely get on the Fitzroy page.
Im keen to know what team all ex Fitzroy fans follow.
Do you follow the Brisbane Lions? did you give footy away all together after 1996 or did you start to follow another Victorian team?

I am a Fitzroy Member and follow them closely in the VAFA. I get to most home games. I do follow the Brisbane Lions, but I might only watch them one or twice a year when they are in Melbourne. Of the two clubs, I would say I am a Fitzroy supporter and Brisbane are my second club. I am not a Brisbane member. If someone asks me who I barrack for, I still say Fitzroy.

I tried to barrack for St. Kilda, then North Melbourne but just wasn't the same. Gave the AFL away and am a gold lion member of Fitzroy. Will be travelling from Sydney and going to Anzac game at Brunswick st next April. Cant wait.
I will be there. Anyone who hasn't been to the Brunswick St Oval to watch FITZROY in the VAFA does not know what they are missing out on. It is absolutely fantastic.

I was planning on changing to Richmond during the summer of '96, but come round 1 of '97 I found myself cheering on BL and subsequently became a foundation member of the club. Probably didn't follow the club as closely as I did Fitzroy until Lethal took over.

We have around 5000 BL members in Victoria. An educated guess would be that around half followed the colours up north.

its really hard to switch clubs. you just cant wake up one morning and say-'i will follow so and so club.' figures suggest that from a shareholder survey in 1998- 27% supported the Brisbane Lions but over 50% supported a merger with North Melbourne. figures are figures. you go where your heart tells you to go.

I don't follow AFL level footy anymore, instead follow with interest Fitzroy's fortunes in VAFA B Grade.
Just curious mate. If the "merger" hadve been a bit more Fitzroy friendly and you got to wear the 'proper' Fitzroy jumper for all the Bris Lions melb games would you have warmed to the Bris Lions a bit more.

how are you going 'call me snake.'
it was as merger friendly as any melbourne club would allow at the time. can i ask you this though. merger or not, would you follow st kilda just as much as you do now if they relocated for arguments sake to Wellington? As compensation to melbourne supporters the 'New Zealand Saints' would play 6 games in melbourne per year. That agreement over the years would be broken, and as well over time the jumper would change to try and capture new markets. for example the famous crest on your jumper or the red white and black would disappear. The new club would really bear no resemblance at all to the club you supported a decade before. would you still follow this team, now known as the New Zealand Saints if they ran around in docklands in the old proper st kilda jumper in their 6 melbourne games?
tried to follow brisbane and doesnt work for me. even when the fitzroy chant gets going in melbourne games when brisbane are winning near the end of the match- a rarity these days but- nuh.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

My brother was as fanatical a Fitzroy supporter as I was, but he went for Hawthorn after Fitzroy finished up in the AFL because he played U19's with them in the mid 80's.
He should of rocked up to Princes Park with his footy boots. Hawthorn was a power house back then, not that we weren't football factory too...

Remove this Banner Ad

Back