What unpopular AFL opinions do you have? (Part 1 - cont in Part 2)

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Things are better than they use to be and are continuing to get better, the sky isn't falling.
Based on how much this discussion is still going on in the media/other thread/general conversation it seems to have stalled.

EDIT: I should add - this is not the thread to discuss this so I likely won't anymore.

Ban the rushed behind. Was brilliant for about the first five rounds in 2009 when players freaked out if they thought they couldn't rush the ball through for a point, and then it became clear you could only not rush a behind if you weren't under pressure. You can't put the ball out deliberately anywhere else, so why do it at the goal front???
I think the goal line should be treated as the boundary line in relation to deliberate out of bounds.

Someone walks the ball over? Deliberate.
Someone taps it over the pack? Deliberate.

there aren't too many players on the field.

there are too many 'recovered' players on the field due to the high number of interchange.

it's now a game of bust a gut for 5-10', take a breather, repeat........for 2hrs.

the game has essentially become sets of intervals for players. every player has a GPS unit and their work is monitored in the box in real time. once their speed, distance covered, etc reduces due to fatigue, they are taken off.

cap interchange at 40 or thereabouts and players will struggle to run the speed and distances in the bursts they do now, as they would have to maintain it for longer periods of the game.

Agree with bolded. Still think there are also too many players on the field (and far too many teams) especially when you look at the huge gap in talent between the best and worst players in the AFL. Surely seeing less of the bad players could only help things.

Pipe dream stuff: I think a big difference between now and the 80s and 90s glory days is nowadays people are far more exposed to the very top tier of elite professional athletes in the world in the EPL, NFL, NBA etc. People's standards are now higher and we only want the best of the best. The AFL is now competing with these world class leagues, not just A-League and NRL. The AFL is an amateur league in comparison and I personally would like to see the AFL strive for that level of professionalism no matter how unachievable it is. That can't be done with 800 players because 700 of them simply aren't world class enough to entertain people these days. I think you can see it in the NRL with SOO. People have less and less time for the actual NRL because there are too many non world class athletes, but in Origin the talent level is world class and it's a huge success. Same reason we see 100,000 at the MCG for world class soccer. Imagine for a minute if footy was as popular world wide as soccer, and then you got 36 of the absolute best players in the world to play against each other in front of 100,000 at the MCG, the Abletts and Careys barely making the cut, how much infinitely better than any soccer game, NFL game, anything ever is that spectacle. We're never going to get there in 1000 years but imo we should at least be pointing the ship in that general direction.

1. Jake King would be a better bloke than Lenny Hayes

2. Dane Rampe's moustache is awesome

3. Dayne Beams is a better player than Luke Hodge

4. Melbourne will win a flag before Fremantle and Sydney

5. Umpires bouncing the ball should be scrapped from the game completely

6. There is a drug culture at every club

7. Jack Riewoldt is undeservedly hated

8. Jarryd Roughead seems like an ordinary bloke that often comes across as smug

10. Players should not have to be role models

11. The AFL website is a very functional and practical webpage

12. Supercoach points give a good indication of how well a player has played

13. I hope Melbourne and/or Carlton fold

14. There should be five Brownlow votes given per game to decrease the chance of joint winners

15. A player should still be eligible to win the Brownlow if they're suspended throughout the season

16. Players should not have a curfew

17. Rex Hunt should lead the Channel Seven commentary team

18. Sam Newman is an extremely intelligent person and would make a great politician

19. All professional grounds should be the exact same in size and dimensions

20. Nathan Jones is so underrated that he has become overrated. A C-grade midfielder at best

Agree with bolded. Still think there are also too many players on the field (and far too many teams) especially when you look at the huge gap in talent between the best and worst players in the AFL. Surely seeing less of the bad players could only help things.

Pipe dream stuff: I think a big difference between now and the 80s and 90s glory days is nowadays people are far more exposed to the very top tier of elite professional athletes in the world in the EPL, NFL, NBA etc. People's standards are now higher and we only want the best of the best. The AFL is now competing with these world class leagues, not just A-League and NRL. The AFL is an amateur league in comparison and I personally would like to see the AFL strive for that level of professionalism no matter how unachievable it is. That can't be done with 800 players because 700 of them simply aren't world class enough to entertain people these days. I think you can see it in the NRL with SOO. People have less and less time for the actual NRL because there are too many non world class athletes, but in Origin the talent level is world class and it's a huge success. Same reason we see 100,000 at the MCG for world class soccer. Imagine for a minute if footy was as popular world wide as soccer, and then you got 36 of the absolute best players in the world to play against each other in front of 100,000 at the MCG, the Abletts and Careys barely making the cut, how much infinitely better than any soccer game, NFL game, anything ever is that spectacle. We're never going to get there in 1000 years but imo we should at least be pointing the ship in that general direction.

The recent soccer wasn't "world class", it was a glorified training session. The reason 100,000 turned up was because of it's uniqueness and the marketing promising the world's best players (even if they were only going about it 1/2 pace and ensring no one got injured) . The F1 Grand Prix gets way more in attendance than the V8 Supercars for a similar reason, but any fair observer would say that the Bathurst 1000 is a superior motor race. When the tennis comes to Melbourne all anybody really wants to see are the dozen or so stars, not the other 240 "world class" players.

That the league should be culled to 12 teams (killing off GWS and 5 vic teams), with a home and away game for each team. A second lower league should be created where the cut Vic teams play with the best of the SANFL, WAFL etc.
Can we just do a Brisbane on Fitzroy style takeover on Footscray? Geographically it makes sense. We'll even let them put EBWBFC on the back of the jumpers. There's 1 team down.

We've got good young talls, they've got good young mids. Happy days.

I don't like the players singing the team song after winning a game. I never enjoyed it when I played, seems rather camp, like some shitty musical where everyone randomly bursts into song and noone seems to think that it's peculiar.

I know its an old post but I agree, kind of, some teams are good (Adelaide/Freo), others are cringeworthy, especially geelong ( have passion but theres still no need to sing so bloody fast) and Port (like when they speed up where they go "we are the power from port")

My unpopular one? I know how EVERYONE loves seeing a 'good' coaching spray, theres even been threads on it ive seen. I'm sorry spray lovers, I believe they should be kept behind closed doors and NOT televised. You wouldnt see an employer reprimand an employee formally in front of customers/other collegues (unless they are a dick). Personally it would be embarassing for a player whether they deserve the spray or not. Imagine a player with kids watching, who would want to see their old man yelled at like that?

Last edited:
Racism in 2015 making you lose interest in footy? You must hate the heritage of your own club then from back in the day when things were much much worse, almost unimaginably worse than today...
I'm not saying it hasn't improved from the past, I'm more suggesting that as I've gotten older and see things with a broader perspective, I've become less enamoured with football culture. The pack mentality and irrational tribalism mixed with an ignorant racist and misogynist lads culture steeped in attitudes of the past just doesn't appeal to me at all.

While I don't agree with the excessive image consciousness displayed by the AFL, I believe that the 2 areas they are correct in trying to stamp out are the above-mentioned.

Hope that makes it clearer for you.

another: Jack Riewoldt gets far too much unnecessary hate, he is simply a guy who isn't afraid to show his emotion/passion for the game, in a world where players are expected to be emotionless conforming robots.

Richo mk 2, will be loved by all towards the end of his career.

Called it years ago.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Can we just do a Brisbane on Fitzroy style takeover on Footscray? Geographically it makes sense. We'll even let them put EBWBFC on the back of the jumpers. There's 1 team down.

We've got good young talls, they've got good young mids. Happy days.

I think every bulldog supporter reading this threw up in their mouth

That the league should be culled to 12 teams (killing off GWS and 5 vic teams), with a home and away game for each team. A second lower league should be created where the cut Vic teams play with the best of the SANFL, WAFL etc.
Why should a Vic club go before the Gold Coast?

I'm not saying it hasn't improved from the past, I'm more suggesting that as I've gotten older and see things with a broader perspective, I've become less enamoured with football culture. The pack mentality and irrational tribalism mixed with an ignorant racist and misogynist lads culture steeped in attitudes of the past just doesn't appeal to me at all.

While I don't agree with the excessive image consciousness displayed by the AFL, I believe that the 2 areas they are correct in trying to stamp out are the above-mentioned.

Hope that makes it clearer for you.

Homophobia not a concern as well?

1. Jake King would be a better bloke than Lenny Hayes

2. Dane Rampe's moustache is awesome

3. Dayne Beams is a better player than Luke Hodge

4. Melbourne will win a flag before Fremantle and Sydney

5. Umpires bouncing the ball should be scrapped from the game completely

6. There is a drug culture at every club

7. Jack Riewoldt is undeservedly hated

8. Jarryd Roughead seems like an ordinary bloke that often comes across as smug

10. Players should not have to be role models

11. The AFL website is a very functional and practical webpage

12. Supercoach points give a good indication of how well a player has played

13. I hope Melbourne and/or Carlton fold

14. There should be five Brownlow votes given per game to decrease the chance of joint winners

15. A player should still be eligible to win the Brownlow if they're suspended throughout the season

16. Players should not have a curfew

17. Rex Hunt should lead the Channel Seven commentary team

18. Sam Newman is an extremely intelligent person and would make a great politician

19. All professional grounds should be the exact same in size and dimensions

20. Nathan Jones is so underrated that he has become overrated. A C-grade midfielder at best
1. Subjective to the type of person you are. I couldn't possibly disagree anymore with this though.
2. Agreed
3. Fair enough
4. Definitely a possibility but Sydney will be competing for the next few premierships and could pinch one or two before Melbourne even become a contender
5. I like the romantic aspect it brings but agree it really isn't needed.
6. Pure speculation based off zero evidence.
7. One of my favourite players to watch. Is not hated, only critised at times for his poor body language due to being a very emotional person.
8. I don't see how he could possibly come across as smug. Maybe you've seen something i havn't.
9. Worst opinion of them all. Disgusting human being for even thinking this.
10. Unfortunately you can't choose where someone looks up to you or not. I agree that players shouldn't be expected to be perfect role models.
11. Agreed.
12. It gives a reasonable rather than a good indication. AFL ranking points give a better indication.
13. Disagree.
14. Nothing wrong with a draw. The current brownlow vote system gives zero indication of who has had the best year so I'm not against any change to it.
15. Agreed
16. They should act as professionals and are rightfully scrutinised if they don't have perfect recovery/preparation from/to games.
17. I've never minded him as a commentator. Couldn't do a worse job than BT.
18. I have no idea of his intelligence but he has said anything but appeal to the masses with the opinions i have heard. Sometimes I don't know if he even believes what he says. Being a politician may suit him. Not someone I ever want near politics though.
19. I disagree it's needed. I love that there are different sized grounds.
20. This year has performed as below an A grade midfielder. I definitely rate his two seasons prior to be worthy of an A grade status.

1. Subjective to the type of person you are. I couldn't possibly disagree anymore with this though.
2. Agreed
3. Fair enough
4. Definitely a possibility but Sydney will be competing for the next few premierships and could pinch one or two before Melbourne even become a contender
5. I like the romantic aspect it brings but agree it really isn't needed.
6. Pure speculation based off zero evidence.
7. One of my favourite players to watch. Is not hated, only critised at times for his poor body language due to being a very emotional person.
8. I don't see how he could possibly come across as smug. Maybe you've seen something i havn't.
9. Worst opinion of them all. Disgusting human being for even thinking this.
10. Unfortunately you can't choose where someone looks up to you or not. I agree that players shouldn't be expected to be perfect role models.
11. Agreed.
12. It gives a reasonable rather than a good indication. AFL ranking points give a better indication.
13. Disagree.
14. Nothing wrong with a draw. The current brownlow vote system gives zero indication of who has had the best year so I'm not against any change to it.
15. Agreed
16. They should act as professionals and are rightfully scrutinised if they don't have perfect recovery/preparation from/to games.
17. I've never minded him as a commentator. Couldn't do a worse job than BT.
18. I have no idea of his intelligence but he has said anything but appeal to the masses with the opinions i have heard. Sometimes I don't know if he even believes what he says. Being a politician may suit him. Not someone I ever want near politics though.
19. I disagree it's needed. I love that there are different sized grounds.
20. This year has performed as below an A grade midfielder. I definitely rate his two seasons prior to be worthy of an A grade status.
What was number nine?

Put Isaac Smith on the wing at a team like Melbourne or the Saints and watch him being torn to shreds in footy circles for not doing enough when his team is scrapping for wins.

Isaac Smith is the best outside seagull in the league playing his role to perfection in the best team.

Still a seagull however.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back