What unpopular AFL opinions do you have? (Part 1 - cont in Part 2)

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
I believe Jobe is a drug cheat who needs his brownlow taken of him.

Statistics in proof

In the first 13 weeks of 2012 he polled Brownlow votes in 12 games. To repeat. He polled votes in 12 out of 13 games during the period of the injection regime.

In the previous 13 games he polled 4 times. In the subsequent 13 games he polled 5 times.

During the injection regime he polled 26 votes in 13 games, an average of 2 votes per game.

The rest of his career he polled 87 votes in 187 games, an average of approx 0.45 votes per game.

but I make up for it with the popular opinion that Mark Robinson is a flog
Brilliantly put, you cannot argue against this.
Robinson's dogshit article was all about sympathy and confusion he felt, well I have no sympathy or confusion and neither should anyone with any common sense; he cheated and it should be rightfully stripped.

I actually believe the bigger a superstar, the more detrimental he is to the team. Seems rare that a great team has a stand out player from the others ( Ablett at GC, Fyfe, Dangerfield, Franklin) as these stars have to be inherently selfish to be as good as they are. Yes, I believe all these players teams are better off without them but it's not the stars fault.

You need decent players turn to highly efficient players to get a great team (chapman, Breust, Enright, Lewis for example) and that comes with culture. These players are guys who wouldn't have been memorable in say, individual sports but are exquisite team/role players. I feel like the champs should have been solo athletes in some other sport.

Nathan Fyfe would be nowhere as good as he is without Sandilands doing the ruck work at Fremantle.

People who say there are too many teams are happy to name any team in the AFL to be removed unless it's theirs, which makes them hypocrites. Anyone who says any team should be removed is an idiot.

People judge a good game of footy too much on the final result. 2005 Grand Final was a boring game until the last 10-15 minutes and if either team kicked three quick goals and won by 15+, it would be among the worst GF's in the modern era.

Doesn't get much more compelling than that. I'm surprised there hasn't really been any discussion regarding Jobe's week to week performance during the regime and how different it is in comparison to the rest of his career.
woefully weak AFL journalists too scared to go down that path against a favourite son

Based on the evidence to hand why do people keep pushing the Jobe Watson is such a "top bloke" angle.

Yes Rohan Connolly (essendon supporter), Robbo (essendon supporter), Tim Watson (relative) and the like all bleat about what a good, honest, honourable bloke and great leader of men that he is..

Meanwhile the CAS, an (until proven otherwise) independent international body who couldn't give a stuff about Chas Brownlow or the AFL, considers Jobe to be "wholly unconvincing" as a witness, "significantly at fault", and most of all GUILTY of doping violations.

It would be fair to assume that some of the players - who the media are excusing by saying "they just went along for the ride...footy club culture, WADA rules don't consider that they're all top blokes and best mates blah blah blah" - would have looked to Jobe for leadership when they realised that they were part of a program that was apparently so super-secret that they can't tell anyone (not even ASADA who their contract says they HAVE to tell about everything)..not even the club doctor who's been there for a million years. Jobe either provided no leadership whatsoever (which seems hard to believe given what a "great leader and top bloke" he apparently is)...or he led them down the dark path that they now find themselves on. IMHO Jobe is no less guilty for the predicament the players find themselves in than the likes of James Hird.

TL;DR - Unpopular opinion is Jobe Watson = Not a top bloke. Not even a particularly good bloke.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Statistics in proof

In the first 13 weeks of 2012 he polled Brownlow votes in 12 games. To repeat. He polled votes in 12 out of 13 games during the period of the injection regime.

In the previous 13 games he polled 4 times. In the subsequent 13 games he polled 5 times.

During the injection regime he polled 26 votes in 13 games, an average of 2 votes per game.

The rest of his career he polled 87 votes in 187 games, an average of approx 0.45 votes per game.

but I make up for it with the popular opinion that Mark Robinson is a flog
Watson was stellar in the first half of 2013 too though.
He just peaked at 27-28 or however old he was

I don't care if any player takes a whole range of supplements to improve their performance and to ward off injuries, in fact i think development in this area should be encouraged.

Neither GWS or GC will win a Premiership and both will be basket cases that the AFL will have to prop up in perpetuity.

The problem these clubs were always going to have is player retention. It is difficult to build a team capable of winning a Premiership when so much time has to be spent convincing highly rated young players to stick it out at a club with no history and little local support. It's all very well for the AFL to consider having a club in the rapidly expanding western region of Sydney or the Gold Coast essential for the Leagues future reach but for the young players it has to be tough to drafted to these AFL outposts. As hard as the people running these clubs work at building a culture the fact is that the opportunity to play at an established AFL club, located in an AFL mad city must be a massive lure.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back