What unpopular AFL opinions do you have? (Part 1 - cont in Part 2)

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm not so sure anymore. Seems more and more people are keen on a twilight GF.
Wouldn't be the same.
If you serveyed paid up members of the 18 clubs I guarantee you the overwhelming majority would want to keep it as it is, you survey some 21 year old girl on the street through the herald sun who goes for collingwood because of "Dane Swans tats" and she'll probably want to move it to seem modern.

If you serveyed paid up members of the 18 clubs I guarantee you the overwhelming majority would want to keep it as it is, you survey some 21 year old girl on the street through the herald sun who goes for collingwood because of "Dane Swans tats" and she'll probably want to move it to seem modern.
Most of WA would want twilight, there's no time for banter before bouncedown

There really needs to be some distinction made between 'unpopular' and 'uncommon' opinions.

Some opinions aren't as widely held by the football public, but are still given credence and afforded some respect.

The unpopular opinions are those that challenge the status quo and are rarely inhabited by anyone.

Why have horses been juiced up on cocaine for racing then?...Columbian marching powder. Its a performance enhancer. Same with ice. It's my experience that you can't trust what a junkie says. Thier reality is clouded. If he was lying to Worsfold and his parents...why not the media too in his " rose colored tainted memoirs"

I am no scientist man but probably coz humans arnt horses bro. and an afl game isnt over in 1 minute and 30 secs man.

Why have horses been juiced up on cocaine for racing then?...Columbian marching powder. Its a performance enhancer. Same with ice. It's my experience that you can't trust what a junkie says. Thier reality is clouded. If he was lying to Worsfold and his parents...why not the media too in his " rose colored tainted memoirs"
The failure of the AFL to test players for cobalt shows they are not serious. If it gives a boost to a racehorse, what must it be doing to all those players?

Sent from my XT1068 using Tapatalk

Matthew Knights was a very poor player towards the end of his career, and only got a game in his last three seasons due to his brilliance in his prime and the very weak Richmond midfield.

Build a stadium that can hold 100k then.
Yeah cause the super bowl has that rule right? So does the Champions league.....

You'd actually find it quite fun to journey across the country and go in to the unknown to watch your team play in a grand final and possibly win one. Some people are lucky enough to afford that. Others however may never be able to and to be able to soak up the atmosphere of a grand final week would be incredible at growing the game in these other cities and confirming it as Australia's sport.

You could have Night Grand Finals in Melbourne/Sydney, Twilight Grand Finals in Adelaide and Day Grand Finals in Perth.

So 'bring the game to the fans' by making sure fewer people can see it live?
You'd could broker a deal that see's more members of the competing teams get to the game. Fans that can't afford going to the game will get to experience the whole grand final week. The parade. The past players running events in the city. Even move the AA event to that week. Make a thing of it. Yes there are fans outside of Melbourne and Victoria. Of the grand final I'd say 35% of people at the 2015 Grand Final went to the 2014 Grand Final. Now tell me the Grand Final is for fans.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

You'd could broker a deal that see's more members of the competing teams get to the game. Fans that can't afford going to the game will get to experience the whole grand final week. The parade. The past players running events in the city. Even move the AA event to that week. Make a thing of it. Yes there are fans outside of Melbourne and Victoria. Of the grand final I'd say 35% of people at the 2015 Grand Final went to the 2014 Grand Final. Now tell me the Grand Final is for fans.

Yeah, not many fans get into the game...but even fewer would get in if it was a smaller stadium...Sponsors/corporates would still get in after all, and the price for the remaining seats would be FAR higher (AFL would want the same revenue from fewer seats after all).

Take out ~40K in corporate and other 'pre-arranged' seats (AFL members, players, past players, club officials, etc) and tell me how many fans would get in, then tell me what they'd have to pay to make up the shortfall in revenue. (I'm sure $10K for a crap seat would be great for 'fans').

Yeah, not many fans get into the game...but even fewer would get in if it was a smaller stadium...Sponsors/corporates would still get in after all, and the price for the remaining seats would be FAR higher (AFL would want the same revenue from fewer seats after all).

Take out ~40K in corporate and other 'pre-arranged' seats (AFL members, players, past players, club officials, etc) and tell me how many fans would get in, then tell me what they'd have to pay to make up the shortfall in revenue. (I'm sure $10K for a crap seat would be great for 'fans').
That is a bullshit argument. If there was a bigger stadium than the MCG outside of Vic, it still wouldn't host a grand final, and arguments of getting the most numbers to the ground would be howled down in favour of tradition.

That the MCG hosts is a given, and what you are giving us is a rationalisation, not a reason.

That is a bullshit argument. If there was a bigger stadium than the MCG outside of Vic, it still wouldn't host a grand final, and arguments of getting the most numbers to the ground would be howled down in favour of tradition.

That the MCG hosts is a given, and what you are giving us is a rationalisation, not a reason.

It's still a valid reason.

Here's 3 more.

Teams play on the MCG more often than any other ground, making it the smallest home ground advantage.

Vic has about 60% of the fans (by last years memberships), so they're playing it where it benefits the clear majority.

I touched on this before, but the AFL makes bucket loads more money from it being at the MCG.

Last edited:

Here's 3 more.

Teams play on the MCG more often than any other ground, making it the smallest home ground advantage.

Vic has about 60% of the fans (by last years memberships), so they're playing it where it benefits the clear majority.

I touched on this before, but the AFL makes bucket loads more money from it being at the MCG.
And if none of those were true, it would still be played at the MCG. A rationalisation can be true, and still be a rationalisation.

The short fall in revenue is made up by cities bidding to host the game. Since it's not a home ground advantage. All clubs play at least one game in each state so I guess that means their venues aren't home ground advantages either? It's no different to the Eagles playing 1-2 games a year at the G. The game would still majority of times be in Melbourne it just also has a right to be played in other states.

Here's 3 more.

It benefits a clear majority. There you go. How wrong that thinking is. There's still so many fans outside of Victoria. There's so much money to be made by having the game outside of Melbourne 40% of the time.

The short fall in revenue is made up by cities bidding to host the game. Since it's not a home ground advantage. All clubs play at least one game in each state so I guess that means their venues aren't home ground advantages either? It's no different to the Eagles playing 1-2 games a year at the G. The game would still majority of times be in Melbourne it just also has a right to be played in other states.

Really? Clubs play every year at the Gabba and SCG? Or doesn't your 'spread it fairly' mantra include them?

Not to mention now you've got cities bidding for it rather than spreading it around for the fans...

BTW..WCE plays 3 games at the MCG this year...When does any non-WA team ever play Subi that often?

It benefits a clear majority. There you go. How wrong that thinking is. There's still so many fans outside of Victoria. There's so much money to be made by having the game outside of Melbourne 40% of the time.

So, what, we should play the GF in Darwin once every 30 years (Darwin being ~1/30th the size of Melbourne)?

Now you're being stupid. Perth will be upgraded to 70-80k, Adelaide Oval would upgrade that open end for another 20k and Sydney has a 80k stadium. Let the cities bid.

Ahh, so you ARE OK with a minimum size...So long as the number suits you.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back