Whats better. One day cricket or big bash cricket?

Whats better? And what age are you?

• Big bash under 30

Votes: 1 2.2%
  • One day cricekt under 30

Votes: 21 46.7%
  • Big bash over 30

Votes: 7 15.6%
  • One day cricket under 30

Votes: 16 35.6%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

I miss the old format where players got in some first-class 4 day matches in before the test matches started, but now the schedule is rushed and all over the place.

I dunno what the answer is. I do think one-day cricket is a much better game, but the shorter format and style of 20/20 will always better suit the masses..

Thank goodness AFL-X never took off.. (though I wouldn't mind seeing the AFLW trialling this format to see how it goes..)

The rest don't

(Pakistan, West Indies, Sri Lanka, Bangladesh and Zimbabwe regularly play to empty test crowds)
As Gideon Haigh put it: “Does cricket make money to exist or exist to make money?”

Too many readily accept the premise that cricket exists to make money at face value in my opinion.

A pool of funds facilitated primarily by the big 3 should be commissioned to service the costs of the other 9 test match nations playing a reasonable minimum number of tests per year, to ensure test cricket doesn’t die out. Will never happen unfortunately.

I would have loved to have voted for "one day cricket over 30" but that option wasn't available.

12 votes for option 2. 7 votes for option 4. Some people are difficult to please :tearsofjoy:

I was a test and ODI man. Then T20 came along. I tried, followed it for one season. But it sucked pretty quickly, then basically killed my following ODI too.

Test cricket is where it's at, the premier level, means the most. World Cup ODI is still worth following. T20 WC just doesn't mean anything, maybe it does for the minnows.

Funnily enough I like the 10 over Euros that have just started. Whipping through more matches quickly seems to cancel out any mishaps a team might have in a single match. Overall the cream rises in the end. And I would rather go out and spend a day watching a bunch of these different nations play each other, instead of watching Australia in a single T20. Seems to mean more to them.

OP must be comparing state v state 50 over games vs big bash T20s to get a like for like comparison.

Look at crowd numbers and you'll get your answer. The public isn't interested in 50 over games anymore. It's only a matter of time before one day games go the way of the dinosaur.

OP must be comparing state v state 50 over games vs big bash T20s to get a like for like comparison.

Look at crowd numbers and you'll get your answer. The public isn't interested in 50 over games anymore. It's only a matter of time before one day games go the way of the dinosaur.
The one thing in favour of ODIs right now is that they are still considered the premier limited overs format at the international level.

Most of the interest in T20 is at a domestic or franchise league level.

Another vote for the Tri-Series, meaningful ODI's and the old days in general but that's not going to happen.

Early days I thought T20 would be left to the national competitions but it hasn't played out that way. I'd rather it be left for franchise teams only, but ATM I'm watching a stadium packed full of Indians watching ground staff throw around sawdust for two hours for an Eight8 game. it's hard to argue with economics.

T20 is killing all other forms of cricket. It’s cheap, easy to digest and makes a lot of money.

ODI’s will die within 10 years or sooner the way things are going. It’s not valued anymore. Just look at short form coverage on free to air. Apart from big bash it’s gone from free to air.

I hate T20 but it’s dominating. In saying that the crowds for the West Indies, England and Zimbabwe series were embarrassing. 20 years ago any international match had a heavy crowd figure.

Now an Aussie match has the same attendance as a Zimbabwe v England tri series match in 2001.

T20 is killing all other forms of cricket. It’s cheap, easy to digest and makes a lot of money.

ODI’s will die within 10 years or sooner the way things are going. It’s not valued anymore. Just look at short form coverage on free to air. Apart from big bash it’s gone from free to air.

I hate T20 but it’s dominating. In saying that the crowds for the West Indies, England and Zimbabwe series were embarrassing. 20 years ago any international match had a heavy crowd figure.

Now an Aussie match has the same attendance as a Zimbabwe v England tri series match in 2001.
ODIs aren't dying anytime soon - for a start, World Cups are already booked up to 2031. The 2027 and 2031 editions will have 14 teams, an increase from recent tournaments because more teams want a chance to compete.

There'd be plenty of time for both formats if the Big Bash season didn't run for ******* ever.

Attendance averages would suggest people are a bit over T20 format in Australia. Season too long, too many teams, not enough talent to sustain the Big Bash the way it is.

There'd be plenty of time for both formats if the Big Bash season didn't run for ******* ever.

Attendance averages would suggest people are a bit over T20 format in Australia. Season too long, too many teams, not enough talent to sustain the Big Bash the way it is.
There'd be enough talent to sustain the BBL if we could secure top line internationals (and perhaps increase the international cap to 3) and have Australias best players involved (i.e the test team).

There'd be enough talent to sustain the BBL if we could secure top line internationals (and perhaps increase the international cap to 3) and have Australias best players involved (i.e the test team).
It would have to be at the expense of the international game. Which is why I hope it never happens

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I'd gladly scrap the meaningless ODIs that occur post Sydney test if it resulted in a strengthened Big Bash.
Meaningless to who? Not the majority of the people who voted in this thread clearly.

Why does the Big Bash have to go for 2 months anyway? Surely every team could play each other once, with a 4 team finals series. Could knock it over in a month and leave January for international cricket (the pinnacle of the sport)

Meaningless to who? Not the majority of the people who voted in this thread clearly.
The crowds have spoken in regards to the post January ODIs.
Attendance is bleak. FTA TV doesn't even want to broadcast it anymore

Why does the Big Bash have to go for 2 months anyway? Surely every team could play each other once, with a 4 team finals series. Could knock it over in a month and leave January for international cricket (the pinnacle of the sport)
I agree with you the Big Bash is too long.
If it were up to me I'd start the BBL just after the Sydney test, and then finish it before school holidays end.

The crowds have spoken in regards to the post January ODIs.
Attendance is bleak. FTA TV doesn't even want to broadcast it anymore

I agree with you the Big Bash is too long.
If it were up to me I'd start the BBL just after the Sydney test, and then finish it before school holidays end.
The ODI's have suffered in recent years because between the Big Bash and the Test series, we've got cricket on every day of the week from basically the end of November to the end of January. No one outside of India loves cricket that much.

I just don't envisage a situation where we're sacrificing the international game in January to prop up the Big Bash. Why would overseas cricket boards agree to that?

I am going to the ODI against England at the SCG on November 19.

Long odds to attend a Big bash game though.

Our mates group make a day of it every year at the Test and ODI's if they are on.

With the D/N ODI its perfect.

Get down to Surry Hills early sink a few pints at lunch then head to the SCG for the afternoon and evening and watch some entertaining cricket.

Cricket is losing its appeal, for the first time in my life I couldn't care if the Aussie team lost or not. Players have too much to say, the game has become stagnated.
Same. I used to see players and massive crowds giving their all and desperate for a win. Now all I see is rich dudes going through the motions so they can go back to their lavish lifestyle without a care in the world.

Same. I used to see players and massive crowds giving their all and desperate for a win. Now all I see is rich dudes going through the motions so they can go back to their lavish lifestyle without a care in the world.
Yep. I remember crowds losing their s**t for a trip series! Back when it all meant something.

Exactly, I wonder what happens if the Netballers lose their $15 million sponsorship and the Cricketers can't get anyone else to invest $40 million? All those range rovers and lavish lifestyles might be a little harder to maintain, particularly if they continue to put the fans like us offside. I'm quite ambivalent about this Australian team these days...

I'm a Test and Sheffield Shield man who avoids all forms of the truncated game. I guess the acid test for me when it comes to 50 over cricket or T20 is when there's a World Cup for the 50 overs game, at least I take some interest in it. Apparently, there's a World Cup for the 20 over game on at present and I'm not the least bit interested.

I'm a Test and Sheffield Shield man who avoids all forms of the truncated game. I guess the acid test for me when it comes to 50 over cricket or T20 is when there's a World Cup for the 50 overs game, at least I take some interest in it. Apparently, there's a World Cup for the 20 over game on at present and I'm not the least bit interested.
Why not enjoy all 3 forms of cricket ?

I like the ODI's but not much interest without a tri series and finals.

The T20 seems to suit the attention span of today and doesn't occupy much more than say a footy match worth of viewing time. The younger gen seem to like it so probably it's the future.

I voted for ODI and over 30 even though that option is written incorrectly.

Back