When were the incorrect disposal / HTB rules abolished?

Remove this Banner Ad

Smedts_2

Club Legend
Apr 23, 2012
AFL Club
Geelong
So I searched the 2014 rules and it seems that incorrect disposal and holding the ball are still rules, so why on earth aren't they being paid this season?

Why wouldn't you hold it in or throw it out as it suits you? It's been heading this way for a while but in "putting away the whistle" this year, umpires have been sanctioning some blatant cheating this season.

Anyone else feeling this way?

Did you watch Dogs v Rich first half, resembled a rugby scrum and that's what the AFL want. It's ******* horrible:thumbsdown:

As KB says, if you're not going to pay rules then you need to remove them from the rulebook. I've always been firmly in the 'pay them if they are there' camp but I seem to be in the minority if the media is any indication. I find it incredibly frustrating. It's not the game I grew up with.

Impossible to follow today; anyone watching their first game would've had no chance. "Letting the game flow" sounds fine in principle, but the natural consequence is that players will take liberties. They could've paid another 20 obvious free kicks today according to past interpretations.

Not whinging, Richmond got the best of a confusing display.

The only holding the ball they seem to pay these days is the diving on it and dragging it in ones. Pretty obvious players know they won't get pinged when they have prior and get tackled and the ball "spills" free, so they are just either dropping the ball or doing a little one handed flick and getting away with it most of the time.

As a fan its great being able to shout BALLLLLL.... YEAHHHHH!!. You hardly ever get that anymore. Its more like BALLLLL... BOOOOOO!!

On the other hand, some of the HTB frees they are paying are staggering. A few in the North/Port game have been shocking. Absolutely no prior opportunity and no chance to even pretend to try to get it out. As biased as I am, I've found myself yelling at the telly even when my team has been the beneficiary, such is the disgraceful nature of some of the calls. Hate seeing the bloke dwelling on the playmaker being rewarded for no reason.

An attempt to despose the ball is deemed sufficent, unless your attempt is not deemed sufficent enough and if the wind is coming in from the west, under a new moon and if mars is in uranus then you may or may not be deemed to of made an attempt.
Who knows whats going on.

Holding the ball has turned to s**t since the beginning of 2012. You used to be able to obviously tell when a htb happened, you can't do that anymore. There were a few shockers in the Collingwood Geelong game last night.

Horlin-Smith received a couple of holding the ball decisions against when gang tackled the moment he took possession... no dragging the ball in on either occasion.

He wriggled and writhed madly to try and dispose of the pill but the sheer weight of 300 odd kilograms on his back precluded this.

On both occasions the umpire looked at him straight in the eyes and rolled out the appalling "no genuine effort" call. o_O

Horlin-Smith received a couple of holding the ball decisions against when gang tackled the moment he took possession... no dragging the ball in on either occasion.

He wriggled and writhed madly to try and dispose of the pill but the sheer weight of 300 odd kilograms on his back precluded this.

On both occasions the umpire looked at him straight in the eyes and rolled out the appalling "no genuine effort" call. o_O
Yeah it really baffles me why they focus on paying those ones, and don't pay the obvious ones where a player is run down and they just drop the ball.

It's shambles at the moment.

I rage when I hear "He tried" through the umpire mic....:mad:

Players just let the ball drop and it dribbles on......"PLAY ON", since when ?

Yeah it really baffles me why they focus on paying those ones, and don't pay the obvious ones where a player is run down and they just drop the ball.

It's shambles at the moment.

Surely these basic HTB rules aren't that hard to adjudicate on and provide the players / public with a level of consistency.

There seems to be some cognitive dysfunction in the past players administering the rules.

Not always the sharpest tools in the shed and perhaps suffering some form of encephalopathy.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

It's gone from rewarding the tackler to rewarding the third man in who blatantly pins the ball against the poor bugger on the ground.

I'd love to see them pay frees AGAINST the last "tackler" in these situations. In other words have a Holding the Ball In law that penalises the "holder in-er"

At least in this way, the guy who's been jumped on would have some hope of actually disposing of the ball with a handball rather than a flick or a throw.

It's gone from rewarding the tackler to rewarding the third man in who blatantly pins the ball against the poor bugger on the ground.

I'd love to see them pay frees AGAINST the last "tackler" in these situations. In other words have a Holding the Ball In law that penalises the "holder in-er"

At least in this way, the guy who's been jumped on would have some hope of actually disposing of the ball with a handball rather than a flick or a throw.
Half the time they're laying across the ball-player's back, anyway, which should (IMO) warrant an in the back free.

This was the plan of the AFL , to make the game keep flowing.

That's why anytime the ball is under a pack the umps ping the guy who is directly on top of it whilst at the same time calling play on for the guy that drops the ball or disposes of it incorrectly when being tackled.

When I was a kid, the rules that endeared me to this game were simple.

If a player took possession of the ball and took more than one step before being tackled, then it meant that he had prior opportunity (even if just a split second of opportunity) to dispose of the ball, thus it was holding the ball.

If a player took possession of the ball and tried to evade a tackle then lost possession of the ball without kicking or handballing it while being tackled, then it was incorrect disposal.

They have turned 100+ years of football rules on their head simply to make the game faster paced, its a shame.

3:11 left in the game between the Pies and Cats, Collingwood down by 5, Dawson Simpson takes nine steps with the ball in the centre square, gets tackled, lets the ball go.... play on. After Tom Hawkins' final goal, Taylor Adams gets tackled after taking three steps and drops the ball... HTB (correct call).

Geelong were definitely the better team on the night, but gee it would've been nice to know what would've happened if the umps actually called the obvious with consistency.

3:11 left in the game between the Pies and Cats, Collingwood down by 5, Dawson Simpson takes nine steps with the ball in the centre square, gets tackled, lets the ball go.... play on. After Tom Hawkins' final goal, Taylor Adams gets tackled after taking three steps and drops the ball... HTB (correct call).

Geelong were definitely the better team on the night, but gee it would've been nice to know what would've happened if the umps actually called the obvious with consistency.

Yeah, agree that decision was completely wrong - and at such a key time! As a cats fan, I tend to focus on the two Horlin Smith HTB decisions (hard not to conclude he was cuckolding the umpire given the treatment he got) but the general theme across the first three rounds has been that incorrect disposal is a thing of the past. And I'm hating how that's allowing players to cynically release the ball in the best possible way without rewarding quality tackling.

This was the plan of the AFL , to make the game keep flowing.

That's why anytime the ball is under a pack the umps ping the guy who is directly on top of it whilst at the same time calling play on for the guy that drops the ball or disposes of it incorrectly when being tackled.

No doubt it's made a mockery of the original intent of the rules of the game.

The shame (or irony) of these new "interpretations" is that whilst the game is now "flowing" it's actually got a lot uglier and less aesthetically pleasing.

Personally, I'd rather see a few more stoppages than this horrible rolling maul style that's fast turning Aussie Rules into pseudo- Rugby Union

I can explain that one. If Horlin-Smith was Selwood or Pendlebury or another big name he would be given the benefit of the doubt.

I was under the impression that a scoop was a throw. so many of these happened in the saints crows game, but none were called. I don't get it

Remove this Banner Ad

Back