Which club boasts the best forward line in the modern era (since 1995)

Best forward six?

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

SouthSwans

Norm Smith Medallist
Mar 29, 2005
Glen Iris, Victoria
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
Bushrangers, Liverpool, Celtics
I've tried to put together the best forward six from each (non-expansion) club since 1995.
Vote for which one you think would be the hardest to stop.

Apologies if there are any glaring omissions from your team.

Adelaide
HF: B.Burton, T.Walker, P.Dangerfield
F: M.Ricciuto, T.Modra, D.Jarman

Brisbane Lions
HF: L.Power, J.Brown, J.Akermanis
F: D.Bradshaw, A.Lynch, C.McRae

Carlton
HF: J.Waite, S.Kernahan, A.Walker
F: M.Lappin, B.Fevola, E.Betts

Collingwood
HF: P.Williams, T.Cloke, A.Rocca
F: A.Didak, S.Rocca, L.Davis

Essendon
HF: J.Hird, S.Lucas, M.Mercuri
F: D.Bewick, M.Lloyd, B.Carracella

Fremantle
HF: M.Walters, M.Pavlich, H.Ballantyne
F: J.Longmuir, T.Modra, J.Farmer

Geelong
HF: P.Chapman, B.Brownless, S.Johnson
F: G.Ablett, T.Hawkins, G.Ablett

Hawthorn
HF: L.Franklin, J.Roughead, J.Gunston
F: L.Breust, J.Dunstall, C.Rioli

Melbourne
HF: R.Robertson, G.Lyon, D.Schwarz
F: B.Green, D.Neitz, J.Farmer

North Melbourne
HF: C.Sholl, W.Carey, L.Thomas
F: S.Grant, J.Longmire, B.Harvey

Port Adelaide
HF: P.Burgoyne, W.Tredrea, S.Dew
F: R.Gray, C.Cornes, C.Wingard

Richmond
HF: D.Martin, M.Richardson, S.Edwards
F: J.King, J.Riewoldt, N.Brown

St Kilda
HF: S.Loewe, N.Riewoldt, L.Montagna
F: A.Hamill, F.Gehrig, S.Milne

Sydney
HF: R.O'Keefe, B.Hall, L.Franklin
F: M.O'Loughlin, T.Lockett, A.Goodes

West Coast
HF: M.LeCras, J.Kennedy, A.Embley
F: Ph.Matera, S.Cummings, D.Cox

Western Bulldogs
HF: N.Brown, C.Grant, N.Eagleton
F: B.Johnson, P.Hudson, D.Giansiracusa

Last edited:
Out of Sydney and Hawthorn (same top 2 for best current forward line as well)

Not sure how the Hawks are winning the poll over the Swans. More Hawks voters?
Franklin = Franklin
O'Keefe > Rioli
Roughead > Hall
O'Loughlin > Hale
Goodes > Barker
Lockett > Dunstall

Even if you were to say Dunstall is better than Lockett, or Hall better than Roughy, the gap between O'Keefe and Rioli, Goodes and Barker and O'Loughlin and Hale is significant enough to win it for the Swans.

Not sure how the Hawks are winning the poll over the Swans. More Hawks voters?
Franklin = Franklin
O'Keefe > Rioli
Roughead > Hall
O'Loughlin > Hale
Goodes > Barker
Lockett > Dunstall

Even if you were to say Dunstall is better than Lockett, or Hall better than Roughy, the gap between O'Keefe and Rioli, Goodes and Barker and O'Loughlin and Hale is significant enough to win it for the Swans.

I would take out both Barker and Hale and replace them with Breust and Gunston. Luke Breust has kicked 30,45,40,57 in just four seasons and I'd also have Gunston ahead of Hale. Gunston has kicked 39,46,58 in just three seasons. Both Breust and Gunston are part of our current success being a dual-premiership players whilst Barker played in an average Hawthorn team back then.

IN: Breust, Gunston
OUT: Barker, Hale

HF: Jack Gunston, Lance Franklin, Cyril Rioli
F: Jarryd Roughead, Jason Dunstall, Luke Breust

Last edited:
Sydney from Geelong and Hawthorn.

Essendon's forward line in 2000 was pretty damn good. I think they averaged about 128 points per game that year, which is the highest points for average by any team over the last 15 years.

HF: Mark Mercuri, Scott Lucas, James Hird
F: Paul Barnard, Matthew Lloyd, Michael Long

Last edited:
I would take out both Barker and Hale and replace them with Breust and Gunston. Luke Breust has kicked 30,45,40,57 in just four seasons and I'd also have Gunston ahead of Hale. Gunston has kicked 39,46,58 in just three seasons. Both Breust and Gunston are part of our current success being a dual-premiership players whilst Barker played in an average Hawthorn team back then.

IN: Breust, Gunston
OUT: Barker, Hale

HF: Jack Gunston, Lance Franklin, Cyril Rioli
F: Jarryd Roughead, Jason Dunstall, Luke Breust
O'Loughlin > Gunston
Goodes > Breust

Yes I know the Swans pair are better, but you should've included them in the Hawthorn forward set up.
Now edited to include them. I'm interested though, you didn't rate Barker? His 2001 finals was outrageously good, schooled us in the Elim final and then won the Semi off his own boot against Port at Footy Park.

Now edited to include them. I'm interested though, you didn't rate Barker? His 2001 finals was outrageously good, schooled us in the Elim final and then won the Semi off his own boot against Port at Footy Park.

He was good in 2001, but apart from that he wasn't really a dominant player in his career in my opinion.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

He was good in 2001, but apart from that he wasn't really a dominant player in his career in my opinion.
Hmm, I guess I've still got that Elimination final burnt into the memory. One of the best finals performances from a KPF that I've seen. We looked good that day until Kelly did his hammy just before half time, then Crawf turned it on and Barker ripped us up with four ridiculous goals. If anyone has highlights of his goals from that game let me know, unless my 14-year-long memories of that day are wrong, my recollection is they were all stunning.

Fair enough though if that was all that he did, I was only 11 at the time and I guess I may have overrated him based on that two-week purple patch.

Last edited:
Would have him over burton or dangerfield
You really think his spell at Adelaide was better than what Burton & Dangerfield have given them over the years? His career at North isn't included in his eligibility for the Adelaide forward six, similar to how Fevola's years at Carlton can't be involved in calculations for his inclusion in the Brissy forward six.

This is different to Franklin & Modra who's short stints at Sydney/Freo were good enough to knock off the contenders for their spots.

I would argue Burton & Dangerfield have done more for Adelaide than Carey did, and I'd also argue Craig McRae and probably a few others have done more for Brisbane than Fevola did.

Gehrig Winmar Lowe Riewoldt and Milne are all elite in there positions.

You really think his spell at Adelaide was better than what Burton & Dangerfield have given them over the years? His career at North isn't included in his eligibility for the Adelaide forward six, similar to how Fevola's years at Carlton can't be involved in calculations for his inclusion in the Brissy forward six.

This is different to Franklin & Modra who's short stints at Sydney/Freo were good enough to knock off the contenders for their spots.

I would argue Burton & Dangerfield have done more for Adelaide than Carey did, and I'd also argue Craig McRae and probably a few others have done more for Brisbane than Fevola did.
Id have carey over either of them

Essendon's forward line in 2000 was pretty damn good. I think they averaged 128 points per game that year, which is the highest points for average by any team over the last 15 years.

HF: Mark, Mercuri, Scott Lucas, James Hird
F: Paul Barnard, Matthew Lloyd, Michael Long
That'd be my pick for a fwd line that actually played together, just we've been terrible for the last 10+ years so there's nobody else to put in it

Back