Which club is Carlton's biggest rival?

Carlton's biggest rival?

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Hi guys,

I am interested to know which club Carlton supporters on BigFooty see as the Blues biggest rival.

I know a fair few Carlton supporters in real life, and it's a mix between Collingwood, Essendon and Richmond for who they see as the club's biggest rival.

Other big clubs such as Hawthorn and Geelong rarely get mentioned as rivals of Carlton, so I've added a poll with the 3 obvious choices.

Please only Carlton supporters voting on this poll as well.
Obviously Collingwood - always and forever our nemesis!!

Can someone tell me who these Shitmond Tigers are please?

The media make me hate the Ferals. Collingwood this, Buckley that. Ive never picked on the misfortunate ones and those who live below the poverty line. Dont get me wrong though I love beating them and Eddie 8 chins.

As for the other Shitbags. I want them out of the league gone for ever. I no hate is a strong word but I hate them, what they have done and everything they stand for.

I'm confused why Richmond are in this poll. I hate North, Cats, Saints and a few interstate teams more than I hate Richmond.

Tradition. Richmond are "traditional" rivals, mainly going back to the 60s-70s.
Those others you've mentioned are more personal preference I'd say.

I actually don't mind the Cats. They are having by far the most successful era in their long history, are a great team and I for one don't really begrudge them that. I hope they get up again this year, if it will deny the horks and Sydney another flag.
Norf just irritate me, as do the Saints.

The Horks give me the royal sh!ts. Cocky, smug bunch of @-holes - everything we used to be. The worst thing is that we have absolutely no comeback since we haven't beaten them for nearly 10 years. :mad:

Definition: A person or thing competing with another for the same objective or for superiority in the same field of activity.

With or without the flags, it has to be Collingwood. Essendon*, whilst hated, are no competition when it comes to vying for the title of greatest AFL team.

Do you guys class Hawthorn and/or Geelong as a big rival, or are they far behind Collingwood, Essendon and Richmond in the rivalry stakes?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Do you guys class Hawthorn and/or Geelong as a big rival, or are they far behind Collingwood, Essendon and Richmond in the rivalry stakes?
Here is a sort of list for you of our rivalries... please try and keep up!
The filth
Daylight
More daylight
Some moonlight
Some more daylight
The drug cheats
a bit of daylight
Bitchmond

* loads of daylight
And can you see those two little dots right off there in the distance... thats the Geebungs and the Dawks. There is no rivalry between the Geebungs or the Dawks and Carlton.

Imagine the rivalries were based on a linear progression around the circumference of the earth at the equator. In a race around the globe, starting and finishing at the same point, Geelong and Hawthorn are about to get lapped.

They really are that far behind the real rivalries.

Pies then daylight..

Essendon are more of a joke than a rival

On SM-G965F using BigFooty.com mobile app
The cheats beat us in the 1993,1962 & 1949 Premierships. We beat them in 1968, 1947 and ofcourse the 1999 Preliminary final.
Richmond: They beat us in 1969 & 1973, we beat them in 1972 & 1982.
Hawthorn: They beat us in 1986 and we returned the favor in 1987.
Geelong: We destroyed them in 1995.
Melbourne: Never played them in a Grand final...hard to believe.
South Melbourne: Huge rivalry up until 1945... Beat them in the 1907, 1914 & 1945 Grand final. They beat us in the infamous 1909 Grand final...stopped us getting the 4 premierships in a row.
Fitzroy: no one cares.
University, Footscray, Norf & St.Kilda: Never played them in a GF.

Is it possible Carlton's biggest rival right now is ourselves?

giphy.gif

We're fighting against our own expectations, our own history - both recent and ancient, our self belief.... far out man.

Before my time it was Tigers in the 70's. Pies in the 80's and * in the 90's and 2000's, Depends when you were born I guess. I was just a kid watching the 79 and 81 grand final wins over Collingwood. In a way, first impressions last.

I still see them mostly as a club if stakes are really high, they exist for us to show up have fun with. You win grand finals over, I always look forward to meeting them if we are both contenders but the last time we ever meet in a final was 88.

Three decades of not much big games. Last big game was the Thursday Night Centenary game in 1992. Naturally we won. Same with any of their anniversary games. As a result I find it hard to actually hate them as had too much fun at their expense. We been s**t for two decades and even that feeling still lingers. Dons I never really hated as a kid.

They were a rival but not a big as Richmond or Collingwood games against us. That seemed to change as 90's went on, as they been the only one of our main rivals where we both have had brief moments where we contenders at same time. It was very frustrating in season 2000 when we were both clearly the top two sides but we got major injuries at wrong times and they got all the luck. I think if Kouta, Braddles, SOS, Sexton and others not injured at wrong times, we probably would have done them at the end. It was not to be.

Feel that we still owe them and they are level with us on premierships so for now they probably are our strongest rival in current decades but would not take much for Carlton-Richmond rivalry to fire up if we both contenders at same time next decade. I really enjoyed 1982 so much, I want more of it.

Last edited:
The cheats beat us in the 1993,1962 & 1949 Premierships. We beat them in 1968, 1947 and ofcourse the 1999 Preliminary final.
Richmond: They beat us in 1969 & 1973, we beat them in 1972 & 1982.
Hawthorn: They beat us in 1986 and we returned the favor in 1987.
Geelong: We destroyed them in 1995.
Melbourne: Never played them in a Grand final...hard to believe.
South Melbourne: Huge rivalry up until 1945... Beat them in the 1907, 1914 & 1945 Grand final. They beat us in the infamous 1909 Grand final...stopped us getting the 4 premierships in a row.
Fitzroy: no one cares.
University, Footscray, Norf & St.Kilda: Never played them in a GF.

The 1999 prelim win was such a sensational and memorable Carlton moment that people forget that we played North in a grand final one week later :)

Imagine the rivalries were based on a linear progression around the circumference of the earth at the equator. In a race around the globe, starting and finishing at the same point, Geelong and Hawthorn are about to get lapped.

They really are that far behind the real rivalries.
I thought mine was pretty good, yours wins though!

Back