Opinion Which club is Mark Jackson most associated with?

Remove this Banner Ad

This may be strange to you guys but Mark "Jacko" Jackson is the reason I support Geelong. He stood out with his antics as a kid and because of that I adapted Geelong as my team plus my brother gave me his footy card as a kid too like pretty much my first footy card around 1985 or 86 when I was 6. So for me I've always associated him with the Cats.

Looking at his stats across the WAFL, VFL Reserves and VFL he kicked 560 goals in 142 games. Basically a 4 goal a game average. The guy could actually play.

Could 100% play. Strong, quick, good hands and a very good kick.

Just completely incapable of operating in a team environment. Kind of a problem in team sport.

Energizer.

Only footy player the writers of The Simpsons would have heard of (least at that time) :)

images

Looking at his stats across the WAFL, VFL Reserves and VFL he kicked 560 goals in 142 games. Basically a 4 goal a game average. The guy could actually play.
He was a gun

Very strong, intimidating and skilful

Unfortunately also a peanut

I'll always remember him for this game at Victoria Park in 1982 when he destroyed us, kicked 7 and gave it to the hostile crowd, so it's Melbourne for me

On SM-A225F using BigFooty.com mobile app

(Log in to remove this ad.)

He was a gun

Very strong, intimidating and skilful

Unfortunately also a peanut

I'll always remember him for this game at Victoria Park in 1982 when he destroyed us, kicked 7 and gave it to the hostile crowd, so it's Melbourne for me

Describing Mark Jackson as a gun is a pretty broad use of the term. He didn't debut until 21yo, and averaged 9 disposals, a bit over 3 marks, and 3.76 goals per game when full forwards scored a lot more than now. He never won a Coleman, got 6 career Brownlow votes and never played in a final. Whilst strong, I am not sure he was too intimidating, which is probably why he chose to carry on like a galah to try create some doubts in opponent's minds. He was more or less just a ball player the majority of the time, didn't move fast enough to be too dangerous. Players that called his bluff didn't have too much trouble handling him.

In his best seasons he was 10, 18, and 28 goals off the Coleman and his best season he basically averaged 4 goals per game. In fact that was his ceiling. He was very much a second rung full forward in his career in the VFL. Very consistent output was about the best thing you could say about him.

At VFL level he was just a good average player, as they used to say.

Describing Mark Jackson as a gun is a pretty broad use of the term. He didn't debut until 21yo, and averaged 9 disposals, a bit over 3 marks, and 3.76 goals per game when full forwards scored a lot more than now. He never won a Coleman, got 6 career Brownlow votes and never played in a final. Whilst strong, I am not sure he was too intimidating, which is probably why he chose to carry on like a galah to try create some doubts in opponent's minds. He was more or less just a ball player the majority of the time, didn't move fast enough to be too dangerous. Players that called his bluff didn't have too much trouble handling him.

In his best seasons he was 10, 18, and 28 goals off the Coleman and his best season he basically averaged 4 goals per game. In fact that was his ceiling. He was very much a second rung full forward in his career in the VFL. Very consistent output was about the best thing you could say about him.

That's a pretty good record for a guy with zero marbles who played for awful sides don't you think?

That's a pretty good record for a guy with zero marbles who played for awful sides don't you think?

It certainly isn't a bad record in terms of his on field output. He seemed to get his 4 ish goals per game no matter what team he played for.

I think the club he is most associated with is when Maurice Rioli Senior clubbed him half to death in a boxing match at training at South Fremantle.

It certainly isn't a bad record in terms of his on field output. He seemed to get his 4 ish goals per game no matter what team he played for.

I think the club he is most associated with is when Maurice Rioli Senior clubbed him half to death in a boxing match at training at South Fremantle.
Got voted off the team at South.

He carried on like a galah to lift his profile for his off field career.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back