Which side is closer to a premiership - Carlton or Essendon?

Which club is closer to a flag - Carlton or Essendon?

• Carlton

Votes: 153 47.8%
  • Essendon

Votes: 75 23.4%
  • Neither in next 10 ywars

Votes: 92 28.8%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

That was a great win against GWS, kudos
Could be a big win for them in the grand scheme of things.
Even a loss to Blues (not saying that it will happen, just hypothetically) most likely sees them at 10-3-1 heading into the Cats game.
Sets them up for their tougher run home.

Think GC away is far from a certainty
For sure, but if you want to be taken seriously, you'd have to at least split one of Blues and Suns games.
Lose them both and you could still have a decent win/loss record, but it will still leave questions heading into the toughest part of your draw.
Get on a roll and anything can happen.

Last edited:
Could be a big win for them in the grand scheme of things.
Even a loss to Blues (not saying that it will happen, just hypothetically) most likely sees them at 10-3-1 heading into the Cats game.
Sets them up for their tougher run home.

we were top 5 going into the last ~6 weeks in 2023.

Anything could happen with us; we are irrelevant until we are not.

For sure, but if you want to be taken seriously, you'd have to at least split one of Blues and Suns games.
Lose them both and you could still have a decent win/loss record, but it will still leave questions heading intot the toughest part of your draw.
Get on a roll and anything can happen.
Mate, they smacked us last legitimately last year during our 1W/8L trot and have improved significantly since then. Admittedly we have at least improved since then as well, but the bombers are 3rd for a reason . Respect to them

How about now?
Carlton are meant to be in a premiership window while Essendon are meant to be a middle of the road side, yet Essendon are higher on the ladder.

Having said that, Essendon would want to improve their precentage - although they get to play North next week which will be their best chance of a percentage boosting game.
I haven't seen enough of Carlton this year tbh to say one way or another.
Every team, apart from Sydney, seem up and down after a few matches.
Essendon are playing very well, I do fear though that if Durham or Stringer gets injured the whole mids will deflate, and the rest of the team will wilt. Saw that with the earlier Port match.
We most likely will win against the up coming bottom teams, not enough to win against the best later on the year, as yet. I'd expect Carlton to win a final again this year.

I haven't seen enough of Carlton this year tbh to say one way or another.
Every team, apart from Sydney, seem up and down after a few matches.
Essendon are playing very well, I do fear though that if Durham or Stringer gets injured the whole mids will deflate, and the rest of the team will wilt. Saw that with the earlier Port match.
We most likely will win against the up coming bottom teams, not enough to win against the best later on the year, as yet. I'd expect Carlton to win a final again this year.
Carlton v Essendon elimination final this year is a real possibility.
Right now people are asking whether Essendon have gone past Carlton.
Would you say this is true?

When the Bombers get a top 4 finish opposition schedule and an injury run to best 22 players like this come and talk.

D89FF900-0841-4A30-BA6B-7AB552092F8F.png

Best 22 by team that have missed games so far. Our list is only going North as well.

When the Bombers get a top 4 finish opposition schedule and an injury run to best 22 players like this come and talk.

View attachment 1994317

Best 22 by team that have missed games so far. Our list is only going North as well.
I remember Carlton having injuries last year too.
How many of those are to important players?
Curnow and McKay have been fit and firing.

Carlton are in the 9th year of their rebuild.

Essendon are in the 4th year of their rebuild.

Injuries and schedules aside Carlton should be clearly ahead of Essendon on just that basis.

Carlton are in the 9th year of their rebuild.

Essendon are in the 4th year of their rebuild.

Injuries and schedules aside Carlton should be clearly ahead of Essendon on just that basis.
Not all rebuilds equate to success , Carlton are testament to that.
Every side should be looking at improving lists every year.
Essendon have done a good job getting 4 into the side straight away makes a big difference to morale as well.
Carlton tried with Fantasia but he has been a bust.
I would have bombers in front at the moment but things can change quickly in this day and age

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Not all rebuilds equate to success , Carlton are testament to that.
Every side should be looking at improving lists every year.
Essendon have done a good job getting 4 into the side straight away makes a big difference to morale as well.
Carlton tried with Fantasia but he has been a bust.
I would have bombers in front at the moment but things can change quickly in this day and age

I don’t believe Essendon is ahead of Carlton but like you said things can change quickly in this day and age especially in a competition thats trending towards becoming more of a week to week league.

Last edited:
Back