Oppo Camp Who’s your team

As per thread title - Which Team Would You Like to Win The Flag?

Sep 11, 2006
Now that we’re out of the finals race.
I thought it would be a good discussion to see who people want and don’t want to win the premiership and why

Don’t want to win.
Brisbane, soft team who have a lot of soft kills, act tough but when it gets tough they fall apart

Want to win.
Any interstate team would be nice, just because it sucks not being a chance and the noise wouldn’t be as in your face.
Carlton, it’s been long enough and they do good footy and hoping Fogarty gets a game and flag.

In short: probably Port

By process of elimination…

Collingwood - unbearable if it happens. Unfortunately think it’s theirs to lose.

Brisbane - soft underbelly so sure to disappoint if I hitch myself to them

Melbourne - a bit like Brisbane and also won one recently so happy for them to fail

The only non-top 4 team worth mentioning is Carlton and I’m old enough to know how unbearable their supporters are when they are up and about. Also think history is against non-top 4 teams anyway but it wouldn’t surprise me if they made a Prelim.

Not really too bothered. Was speaking to a mate on the weekend and we both agreed Collingwood don't look nearly as comfortable as they were a month ago. Big question mark as always on Brisbane and whether they can finally produce in finals. Port and Melbourne I'm not sure on either. Be interesting to watch how it unfolds.

Now that we’re out of the finals race.
I thought it would be a good discussion to see who people want and don’t want to win the premiership and why

Don’t want to win.
Brisbane, soft team who have a lot of soft kills, act tough but when it gets tough they fall apart

Want to win.
Any interstate team would be nice, just because it sucks not being a chance and the noise wouldn’t be as in your face.
Carlton, it’s been long enough and they do good footy and hoping Fogarty gets a game and flag.

Port just for the Hinkley factor is probably my first here.

Brisbane has some d***heads in it but I want to see Linc with a medal

Melbourne fans didn't let their first one go to their heads and they have some really likeable players so I'm behind them third.

The rest can gagf

It would be pretty funny if Carlton won it after the entire fan base wanted Voss gone. Cookie organises the premiership celebration at Princes Park but deactivates any membership that called for Voss' head. Only 20 people make it inside.
Knowing Carlton, winning the premiership probably only guarantees Voss another 30 or so games before he "has the full backing of the board"

I reckon winning the flag would see the opposite. Win the flag and he can be there for 10 years without making finals before he gets the ass. Finish runner up and his head will be on the chopping block a month into next season if they start poorly.

It depends on who is in.. probably one of the lesser chances. GWS or Stk .. to give supporters that have never had success a taste of it. Be a hell of a GF with plenty of tears from the big clubs supporters..

but we probably end up with the top four playing each other ..at which time ..they have all experieced success recently so the care factor withers ..and I will be less focused on who wins and more on who and what we do in trade.

Screenshot 2023-08-21 at 11.55.58 am.png

Just like revitalisation of Richmond... a Carlton flag would see the return of the entitled flog... and if Voss failed with a side that had shown it can win a flag.. I wonder how long it would be before there would be rumblings about it was the talent that won it not the coach..

I reckon winning the flag would see the opposite. Win the flag and he can be there for 10 years without making finals before he gets the ass. Finish runner up and his head will be on the chopping block a month into next season if they start poorly.
That's how a normal fan base would respond

In order of want the most to the least, assuming current top 8

1. GWS - never won.
2. St Kilda - "The Fairytale"(TM) after so many decades of missing out.
3. Brisbane - they've been up a while and would be good to see them succeed at last.
4. Port - Hinkley factor, another team who's been thereabouts without winning one.
5. Sydney - Another "FairyTale" after last year's shocker.
6. Melbourne - they won in 2021 anyway
7. Carlton - hate them but not quite as much as Collingwood.
8. Collingwood - nope.

I think Port. They have some good players, play a good combo of tough and skilled footy, and it would be great for Ken Hinkley. Also piss off the Crows supporters.

I've rated Brisbane for a while and some of those guys deserve a flag. But Zorko. And all the other floggish behaviour they get up to when they play us. So no thanks.

Melbourne or Collingwood I'd be fine with - both have played well this year.

Of the unlikelies:

GWS - what a great story that would be. They can play some mighty fine footy and I've always respected them as a team - great little rivalry with the cats building too.

Saints - piss off. Ross Lyon. Enough said.

Sydney - yeah that would be good. Great recovery from a horrid grand final and they are always competitive.

Dogs - no cos I want to win in R24. And if they somehow sneak in it would demean the cup if that rabble won it.

Carlton - of course not.

So, in order:

Port
GWS
Pies

Saints
Dogs