Oppo Camp Who’s your team

As per thread title - Which Team Would You Like to Win The Flag?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thats not what the thread title is claiming.

Except the thread concept is clearly explained in the OP

and the following was too long for a thread title:

Now that we’re out of the finals race.
I thought it would be a good discussion to see who people want and don’t want to win the premiership and why

As a Cats fan, and despite the many recent finals meetings with the Pies over the years where we've overcome them in every year we've claimed a Flag, I do want Brisbane to win this weekend.

Main reason is that I really don't like the runball, pressure-ball and tackling intensity of a style of footy like the Pies, it's a bit like what Richmond's footy was when they won their flags. In the Pies case, they have won a lot of close games, I think it was mentioned something like 17 of 21 matches decided by single-figure margins the Magpies have won. And when McCrae boasted of how they have trained for hours to perfect scenarios like last weekend, killing the footy with contests and ball-ups when the 'stop' sign was pulled out. To me that's sort of the antithesis of the Geelong way of footy, the beautiful game, the flowing, exciting, attractive football that classic Geelong has always been famous for.

It was always a bummer that that style under Blight couldn't get a Flag for the Cats, as I just can't help but think it would make the game a better spectacle. It's also the sort of feeling that it's Geelong that sort of sets the standard for attractive footy, and it's always an incarnation of pressure, tackling and stuff that's designed to beat it. Pies 2010-11, Lyon-Ball and of course the Tigers in the late teens.

So go Brisbane, with the excitement of the Motor-bike man, Hipwood and Daniher with their raking left feet, Rayner, and even the assortment of ex-Cats that exist in the Lion's list, even if it's only Linc whose Lourdes-like transformation from a crock at the Cats to be the new iron man of durability at the Lions.....I'd like that sort of footy to prevail. And with a forecast 28 degrees, the Lions might well be advantaged as those hot conditions may well tax big time the Pie's ability to play runball, tackleball and high pressure. Can't also help but think daytime conditions with a dry footy will help the Lion's big marking forwards...catching the footy is the best way to overcome tackling pressure. You can't tackle a bloke who's marked it!

So on Saturday I'm barracking our fellow felines.

Last edited:
I can't believe I'm saying this, but.....deep breath......Go Lions!!!!!!

Seeds makes a good point. When an interstate side wins it, it feels like nobody wins it...and that's a good thing if the Cats can't win it.

I've actually been an admirer of Collingwood in the past. As a young kid growing up in Melbourne, it's basically a rite of passage to hate Collingwood, but I never succumbed to that feeling.

I always hated the Blues more due to how many of their supporters seemed to go to my school, and being one of the lone Geelong supporters you can imagine how that went!!

Likewise Hawthorn, because it was instilled in me as a child, like a true Geelong father should 🤣

However, Collingwood's last 12 months or so has left a sour taste in the mouth.

Whether it be the treatment of Ollie Henry, or the ridiculous crowning of a side who has yet to actually win anything...It's all been annoying enough for me to finally join the rest of the country in disliking that football club.

Plus, for some reason I feel like if Collingwood wins a premiership in the month of September, the world will be thrown off its axis. It's just not supposed to happen.

Go forth, Lions. Humanities safety rests with you!!! (No pressure)

I can't believe I'm saying this, but.....deep breath......Go Lions!!!!!!

Seeds makes a good point. When an interstate side wins it, it feels like nobody wins it...and that's a good thing if the Cats can't win it.

I've actually been an admirer of Collingwood in the past. As a young kid growing up in Melbourne, it's basically a rite of passage to hate Collingwood, but I never succumbed to that feeling.

I always hated the Blues more due to how many of their supporters seemed to go to my school, and being one of the lone Geelong supporters you can imagine how that went!!

Likewise Hawthorn, because it was instilled in me as a child, like a true Geelong father should 🤣

However, Collingwood's last 12 months or so has left a sour taste in the mouth.

Whether it be the treatment of Ollie Henry, or the ridiculous crowning of a side who has yet to actually win anything...It's all been annoying enough for me to finally join the rest of the country in disliking that football club.

Plus, for some reason I feel like if Collingwood wins a premiership in the month of September, the world will be thrown off its axis. It's just not supposed to happen.

Go forth, Lions. Humanities safety rests with you!!! (No pressure)
I have thought since McRae took over "Yeah the current Pies team aren't too bad" on the likability metric. And I respect them always competing, feel bad for them failing at the last step so often. I admire a few of their veterans and youngsters alike. A lot of Carlton and Richmond supporters would be put in their place for the next year.

The media hype machine certainly doesn't help though and nobody likes cheering the front runner in any case.

Cox is a hilarious troll but it feels completely wrong to cheer him on in any situation, unless he is destroying someone where that scenario would be funny (e.g Richmond 2018). Then there's a LOT of bad haircuts. I can't get behind Moore no matter how well he speaks. Not with that mop. Murphy has always been a bit irritating with his theatrics. Ginnivan the same. Maynard is a classic heel and although I respect De Goey's capacity to stand up in finals, there's always a part of me that would like to see him caught. Miochek, WHE, J.Daicos - maybe not an offensive bunch but are they players neutrals are ever going to swoon over? I don't hate this Collingwood side. But I don't want to get out of my chair and cheer them on.

I realise you could do and say this for all teams. Brisbane have had a few unlikeable players, even if Zorko never quite got my mouth foam going like he did others. But overall they're inoffensive, they're the underdogs and they've also had a few bites of the cherry - if they got up there would be a little bit of a fairytale element about it after some tough years followed by near misses. 20 year anniversary of their great dynasty too.

So I'm probably team Brisbane. Although I'd say in most of these situations I go for the plucky underdog and on grand final day at the G, that will be the interstate team if they're facing someone like Collingwood. Even if this year Collingwood actually would've rightly hosted the game anyway.

My team is Lincoln McCarthy.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Im right behind the Magpies - top team and had a very good year - pretty solid last 20 years actually - a 2nd flag would book end that

My only slight knock on Coll- is from the Aesthetics- re watching them

Every supporter of every AFL Club - they love their clubs jumper - and they want to be looking at that in pristine condition - not torn etc - they want to admire their clubs jumper because they love it - and they cetaintly well in my case - and plenty of other supporters - they dont want to look at that horrible - utterly horrible painted on shitt on their arms

So watching Coll - i would much prefer - Elliot - DeGoey - Howe - and there are probably a couple of others - to be wearing long sleeve jumpers - and that goes for Stewart at Geel as well

I can remember when Trent Cotchin got the Richmond captaincy - the Tigers were down a bit - and he said - Tom Hafey pleaded with him - he said Trent your are the captain of the club - whatever you do - dont paint that shhiit on yourself - and Cotchin said to him he had no intention of doing that

Id love Gilligan to bring in rule for both Men and Womens comp - if you have got that painted on shiit on arms - then you must wear a long sleeve jumper - and every club supporter then can have the joy at looking at that jumper and not the painted on rubbish on their arms

I have thought since McRae took over "Yeah the current Pies team aren't too bad" on the likability metric. And I respect them always competing, feel bad for them failing at the last step so often. I admire a few of their veterans and youngsters alike. A lot of Carlton and Richmond supporters would be put in their place for the next year.

The media hype machine certainly doesn't help though and nobody likes cheering the front runner in any case.

Cox is a hilarious troll but it feels completely wrong to cheer him on in any situation, unless he is destroying someone where that scenario would be funny (e.g Richmond 2018). Then there's a LOT of bad haircuts. I can't get behind Moore no matter how well he speaks. Not with that mop. Murphy has always been a bit irritating with his theatrics. Ginnivan the same. Maynard is a classic heel and although I respect De Goey's capacity to stand up in finals, there's always a part of me that would like to see him caught. Miochek, WHE, J.Daicos - maybe not an offensive bunch but are they players neutrals are ever going to swoon over? I don't hate this Collingwood side. But I don't want to get out of my chair and cheer them on.

I realise you could do and say this for all teams. Brisbane have had a few unlikeable players, even if Zorko never quite got my mouth foam going like he did others. But overall they're inoffensive, they're the underdogs and they've also had a few bites of the cherry - if they got up there would be a little bit of a fairytale element about it after some tough years followed by near misses. 20 year anniversary of their great dynasty too.

So I'm probably team Brisbane. Although I'd say in most of these situations I go for the plucky underdog and on grand final day at the G, that will be the interstate team if they're facing someone like Collingwood. Even if this year Collingwood actually would've rightly hosted the game anyway.
Funnily enough, I'm actually a big fan of Josh Daicos. If I was to pick a favourite Collingwood player, he'd be the one.

It wouldn't have been easy growing up in Melbourne as with the Daicos name, particularly being the less revered of the two.

He's become a pretty good player over the last 18 months or so, but for a long time it looked like he was the 'Spud brother', and Nick was going to be the star.

Even in Josh's first couple of years when Nick was only 15-16, I remember some comments along the lines of "Josh may be a dud, but just wait until we get Nick" - such was the prowess that Daicos junior had even at a young age.

It wouldn't have been easy for him, and I admire that he's clearly worked his backside off to get this far.

Short, skinny, not overly quick, but his skills are sublime. He feels like the epitome of hard work over talent to me, and he seems like a real humble individual.

Im right behind the Magpies - top team and had a very good year - pretty solid last 20 years actually - a 2nd flag would book end that

My only slight knock on Coll- is from the Aesthetics- re watching them

Every supporter of every AFL Club - they love their clubs jumper - and they want to be looking at that in pristine condition - not torn etc - they want to admire their clubs jumper because they love it - and they cetaintly well in my case - and plenty of other supporters - they dont want to look at that horrible - utterly horrible painted on shitt on their arms

So watching Coll - i would much prefer - Elliot - DeGoey - Howe - and there are probably a couple of others - to be wearing long sleeve jumpers - and that goes for Stewart at Geel as well

I can remember when Trent Cotchin got the Richmond captaincy - the Tigers were down a bit - and he said - Tom Hafey pleaded with him - he said Trent your are the captain of the club - whatever you do - dont paint that shhiit on yourself - and Cotchin said to him he had no intention of doing that

Id love Gilligan to bring in rule for both Men and Womens comp - if you have got that painted on shiit on arms - then you must wear a long sleeve jumper - and every club supporter then can have the joy at looking at that jumper and not the painted on rubbish on their arms
You're entitled to your opinion, but it's a difficult one to agree with.

Personally, both in footy and general life, I try to live by the rule that if you're not hurting anybody then it's okay.

You might not agree with it, but if that's how they choose to express themselves then more power to them IMO.

Both these teams suck. One has players like Neale, Zorko, Daniher that I don't want to see win the flag.

The other side is the filth. And I'm already sick of the lovefest over Fly, Daicos, Moore, Maynard etc. Plus I remember the arrogance after 2010.

Lions are the lesser evil though so them, just.

Both these teams suck. One has players like Neale, Zorko, Daniher that I don't want to see win the flag.

The other side is the filth. And I'm already sick of the lovefest over Fly, Daicos, Moore, Maynard etc. Plus I remember the arrogance after 2010.

Lions are the lesser evil though so them, just.
Yep, we've already seen what it likes with Richmond.

Sometimes you let your guard down and want to see these clubs succeed. I was going for the Tiges in 2017...but you quickly realise that it's a big mistake.

It's partly due to the sheer size of the supporter base, but when these clubs actually have something to crow about...it certainly brings out the worst in them.

At least Brisbane will be out of sight and therefore out of mind.

My admiration for Collingwood goes back a long way, 1970's
John Greening(- my favourite Non Cats player until Akermanis), McKenna, Wayne and Max Richardson, Waters, Price, Thompson, Twiggy Dunne, Tuddenham, Wearmouth, Fabulous Phil Carman, Ray Shaw, Picken, Peter Moore, Manassa, Kink....BRILLIANT EXCITING PLAYERS.
I used to walk from Monash Uni Mannix College to VFL Park to watch games, and Pies were there a lot.
I felt sorry for their losses in 70 and 77, and I hated Carlton and NM back then. Not a popular opinion, but I was not a Barassi fan in those days.
They reminded me of us in 67, and later on, 89, 92, 94, 95.
Ever since then, I have had a soft spot, but weirdly, I did not mind the Lions 3-peat team beating them twice, as long as Aker was playing.
This year, while I would like to see Pies winning it, I can easily live with a Lions win. Both teams are deserving GF teams, and maybe a win will erase that loss v WCE 5 or so years ago, which I hated.
Peace exists this finals series with Hawks and Tigers joining us while we watch.

Last edited:
Funnily enough, I'm actually a big fan of Josh Daicos. If I was to pick a favourite Collingwood player, he'd be the one.

It wouldn't have been easy growing up in Melbourne as with the Daicos name, particularly being the less revered of the two.

He's become a pretty good player over the last 18 months or so, but for a long time it looked like he was the 'Spud brother', and Nick was going to be the star.

Even in Josh's first couple of years when Nick was only 15-16, I remember some comments along the lines of "Josh may be a dud, but just wait until we get Nick" - such was the prowess that Daicos junior had even at a young age.

It wouldn't have been easy for him, and I admire that he's clearly worked his backside off to get this far.

Short, skinny, not overly quick, but his skills are sublime. He feels like the epitome of hard work over talent to me, and he seems like a real humble individual.
Nice. But not enough for me to barrack for the Pies tomorrow. I don't like Bris either, but I can't barrack for the Pies.

Always makes me sad seeing his stats on afltables.
View attachment 1816329
At the time of the trade I didn't think much of it, I liked him as a player but he couldn't get on the park. Good on him for getting his body sorted out and having a good career, I wish it was at Geelong but you can't win em all

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back