Analysis Who Is The Greatest Docker In History According To The Doig Medal Results

Remove this Banner Ad

the simpsons nerd GIF
4405053C-77BF-4972-9B51-B51405336146.jpeg

Stephen Colbert Nerd GIF by The Late Show With Stephen Colbert

I do like the fact that some of the options see Shane Parker finally get a bit more recognition as being in the tope ten of all time.

The votes per season is a little skewed by seasons where players missed large chunks of a year or more through injury (see S Hill, M Barlow, Shauny Mac, A Pearce, etc). Votes per games played might be better. Just sayin.

Great work though Bob.

maxresdefault.jpg
Here you go.

1664839402788.png

Petey B still on top. Nat Fyfe & Brad Hill overtake Matthew Pavlich & Adrian Fletcher. Caleb Serong & Andy Brayshaw still in 6th & 8th respectively. Craig Callaghan jumps into the top 10, while Dave Mundy just scrapes in.

Holy s**t. When did Tommy Sheridan and Shane Kersten end up top 10 in our best and fairest? Far out.
Tommy came 10th in 2016, Kersten did it the following year (maybe the year he kicked the winning goal vs Geevegas).

Almost need 2 lists. One for players who played their complete career here and one for those whose games were mostly in their prime (Belly, Fletch)

Points per game if you top and tail 2 years off their career e.g. Pav's middle 14 seasons, Fyfes middle 8 those two would be streeting it. (Pav was cooked his last two years. Lower back was stuffed)

Almost need 2 lists. One for players who played their complete career here and one for those whose games were mostly in their prime (Belly, Fletch)

Points per game if you top and tail 2 years off their career e.g. Pav's middle 14 seasons, Fyfes middle 8 those two would be streeting it. (Pav was cooked his last two years. Lower back was stuffed)
Topping & tailing would dent the scores of others. Thinking of those who started well (Hasleby/Barlow/Palmer), anyone from 1995-6 or anyone who polled well the last couple of years (Brayshaw & Darcy obviously, but Mundy also came second last year).

3f33202d31fb8543a8b9e0bd446d5376

"это кошмар! Столько времени и денег на фиктивные выборы, когда я мог бы просто прийти к BigFooty."

Seemingly McPharlin was never a coaches pet. Surprisingly low on all Tonga Bob's metrics for someone who we fans regard as a reliable star. Wonder whether he was so metronomically good coaches forgot to include him in the votes or what he wasn't doing for the team to command more votes...

Seemingly McPharlin was never a coaches pet. Surprisingly low on all Tonga Bob's metrics for someone who we fans regard as a reliable star. Wonder whether he was so metronomically good coaches forgot to include him in the votes or what he wasn't doing for the team to command more votes...
He often missed a few games.

And being used as a swingman probably didn't help.

This is some impressive data interpretation here Tonga Bob

Unfortunately there must be a flaw somewhere as the correct answer should be a tie between Clive Waterhouse and Kepler Bradley
I’ve obviously forgotten to include the jumper # 26 multiplier.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

2023 Results
Righto nerds, the 2023 Doig has been run and won, so I've updated my spready. Here's the new Top 10:

The new Top 5:

1694582397238.png
1694582456740.png

The new Top 3:

1694582532086.png

And the new Top 1:

1694582580112.png

Shout out also to PurpleReign95 for getting in on the act as well:

Righto nerds, the 2023 Doig has been run and won, so I've updated my spready. Here's the new Top 10:

The new Top 5:

The new Top 3:

And the new Top 1:

Shout out also to PurpleReign95 for getting in on the act as well:

Has the points voting system changed? If it hasn’t, Maybe you could use that to calculate the real points per game played metric (bit like Brownlow point averages per game) I have a feeling some of those top 10 finishers should be worth more than others. You’d obviously need all the years points data though, so may be a bit tough.

Farmer nowhere to be seen either.

Has the points voting system changed? If it hasn’t, Maybe you could use that to calculate the real points per game played metric (bit like Brownlow point averages per game) I have a feeling some of those top 10 finishers should be worth more than others. You’d obviously need all the years points data though, so may be a bit tough.
Good call! Yeah you're right though about getting the points data from the past 29 years (unless freo_dockers have them somewhere??).

Farmer nowhere to be seen either.
Only played seven seasons for two 7th places and an 8th. Top 10 averaged 14 seasons each.

Four coaches each giving up to 5 votes per player this year (i.e. max of 20), when last few years it's been 5 coaches (max = 25).

He wouldn't be the Lone Ranger.
Hase probably didn’t mind it. I’ll never forget his post match interview after Pav’s 200th game, you could hear genuine raw emotion when he spoke about Pav and what he meant to the club.
Just a shame OP messed his career up, as pure footballer as you could get. In my mind he’s still a top 10 Docker ever

Remove this Banner Ad

Back