Who should fall on their sword and retire mid 2023 to free up a mid season draft slection

Who should fall on their sword and retire mid 2023 to free up a mid season draft slection

• Castagna

Votes: 15 38.5%
  • Tarrant - if sore and out of form.

Votes: 12 30.8%
  • Riewoldt if he can only get up for 1 more game (injuries)

Votes: 3 7.7%
  • Martin if he can only get up for 1 more game (injuries)

Votes: 2 5.1%
  • Other

Votes: 7 17.9%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

I get Castagna isn't a fan favourite but there is no reason for him to be singled out in this thread. You could make a case for Jack and Tarrant if they fell off the cliff so to speak form and fitness wise, Martin by all reports seems reinvigorated for the 2023 season

I get Castagna isn't a fan favourite but there is no reason for him to be singled out in this thread. You could make a case for Jack and Tarrant if they fell off the cliff so to speak form and fitness wise, Martin by all reports seems reinvigorated for the 2023 season
How is he being singled out exactly?

There are 4 player voting options plus an 'other'.

How is he being singled out exactly?

There are 4 player voting options plus an 'other'.
Why would a 26 year old with no known health issues like Lamberts chronic hip issue retire mid season?

Like I said you could make an arguement for Jack and Tarrant where they may fall off a cliff performance wise, and Martin is a long shot given he has reportedly reinvigorated himself for the 2023 season

Last edited:
It’s going to be a long pre season with this s**t already starting. Embarrassing when you try to be funny and you aren’t
See you all in round 1🙃

Why would a 26 year old with no none health issues like Lamberts chronic hip issue retire mid season?
Possibly because he isn't up to afl standard sometimes afl players retire in their late 20's when they loose passion or aren't getting another contract.

He will be 27 mid year. Whats wrong with having that as a possible option of 5?

Tom Bugg retired at 25. Matthew Parker retired his career at 26. Ty Vickery retired at 27.

Many players like Will Langford (25yo at the time) who are not offered contracts later in their choose to retire too.

It's hardly contentious.......

Season hasn't started yet and you want someones head

The Princess Bride Boo GIF by filmeditor

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

As per above, and assuming we are in contention for the flag, which player should fall on their sword and retire similar to Grigg, Lambert and others?
What a s**t thread.
Obviously projecting injury on one of our older players in the hope of picking up the 18th best youngster that was overlooked at this years draft.

‘Dusty needs to go he’s passed it’

- Kane Cornes

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Possibly because he isn't up to afl standard sometimes afl players retire in their late 20's when they loose passion or aren't getting another contract.

He will be 27 mid year. Whats wrong with having that as a possible option of 5?

Tom Bugg retired at 25. Matthew Parker retired his career at 26. Ty Vickery retired at 27.

Many players like Will Langford (25yo at the time) who are not offered contracts later in their choose to retire too.

It's hardly contentious.......
It's fooking s**t and you know it.

Sadly, Grimes hammy injury issues seemed to return last year. I hope he can fix them. I believe he was frustrated with his body so I could understand a early retirement if he can't deal with them Tarrant played through a broken hand he had a good run with injury this year. I hope he hangs around all year at least. JR is durable if he cops a season ending injury he probably retires. Gibcus, Ryan or Bauer should play for him. Cotch had a good 22 season. Dimma will get him to 300 at least, TT & JH make it trickier to play him. Not the leg speed for some positions.
Wait and see our 22 looks with TT & JH.
Don't want Grimes, Broad and Tarrant retiring at the end of next year. Hopefully Broad gets games in 23 and wants to play on at RFC. Looks like we've taken Young for some depth. Or in 24 we play Miller, Balta & Gibcus back. & Lynch & Young/Ryan/

Mid season draft= Pickett, (hit) Parker (miss) and Bauer (????). & RFC VFL losing players to EFC. I'd rather we take Bradke and Narkle now and have them in the system.

Last edited:
Castagna wont be retiring this year in his last year of his contract and will be hoping to extend his career
newly married and on the way to having 5 sons

Free agent end of the year and will be hoping there is a team that wants him and his time at Richmond are just about done
specially with Maurice & Cumberland showing they are AFL quality and Clarke , Campbell , Smith , Green also at the club

Jason is done after 2023

Castagna wont be retiring this year in his last year of his contract and will be hoping to extend his career
newly married and on the way to having 5 sons

Free agent end of the year and will be hoping there is a team that wants him and his time at Richmond are just about done
specially with Maurice & Cumberland showing they are AFL quality and Clarke , Campbell , Smith , Green also at the club

Jason is done after 2023
I'd be surprised if he gets a game in the seniors 2023.

I'd be surprised if he gets a game in the seniors 2023.
Reckon you're right. I think he'd be banking on the development of those above him stalling or going backwards. I don't think he's got another level to try and compete with them.

Back