Who should fall on their sword and retire mid 2023 to free up a mid season draft slection

Who should fall on their sword and retire mid 2023 to free up a mid season draft slection

• Castagna

Votes: 15 38.5%
  • Tarrant - if sore and out of form.

Votes: 12 30.8%
  • Riewoldt if he can only get up for 1 more game (injuries)

Votes: 3 7.7%
  • Martin if he can only get up for 1 more game (injuries)

Votes: 2 5.1%
  • Other

Votes: 7 17.9%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Reckon you're right. I think he'd be banking on the development of those above him stalling or going backwards. I don't think he's got another level to try and compete with them.
The only thing he brings to the team is as a pressure forward. Think MRJ has passed him in that respect and others have more class and upside like Cumberland.

The only thing he brings to the team is as a pressure forward. Think MRJ has passed him in that respect and others have more class and upside like Cumberland.
Even with his pressure I don't think he really worries oppo players anymore, whereas you can see the panic set in when MRJ is approaching.

I don’t think anybody will. We just did a massive clean out. All the oldies left are best 22 players. Even with injuries I’d expect everybody to try and be fit for finals.

And no Castanga won’t he needs the money.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

I don’t think anybody will. We just did a massive clean out. All the oldies left are best 22 players. Even with injuries I’d expect everybody to try and be fit for finals.

And no Castanga won’t he needs the money.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com
This aged well

I get Castagna isn't a fan favourite but there is no reason for him to be singled out in this thread.
way 2 early 2 make a call like this.
Why would a 26 year old with no known health issues like Lamberts chronic hip issue retire mid season?
Far too early to predict now.
Can't wait for the next thread.
Castagna wont be retiring this year in his last year of his contract.

Free agent end of the year. Jason is done after 2023
I don’t think anybody will retire. And no Castanga won’t he needs the money.
👎Yeah. Apologies accepted whilst you all punched down.

Almost as if I knew hey.

Well done.

Last edited:
👎Yeah. Apologies accepted whilst you all punched down.

Almost as if I knew hey.

Well done.
Fancy patting yourself on the back because a player, you singled out in the thread, retired early, in part no doubt because of the constant potting of him by 'supporters' of the club he played for.

Congratulations, hope it made you feel great.

Fancy patting yourself on the back because a player, you singled out in the thread, retired early, in part no doubt because of the constant potting of him by 'supporters' of the club he played for.

Congratulations, hope it made you feel great.
Good one again. You literally have no idea about anything.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

We have one spot available due to Castagna retiring. No real benefit of Tarrant pulling the pin early unless the club thinks we might be able to pinch a kid early that is projecting to be a decent prospect come the National Draft later in the year.
Could you actually do that if you have the number 1 pick in the MSD, could you tell the kid who is projected to go 1 or 2 in the November draft to nominate for the MSD instead and also get him into a state league team.

Could you actually do that if you have the number 1 pick in the MSD, could you tell the kid who is projected to go 1 or 2 in the November draft to nominate for the MSD instead and also get him into a state league team.
Nah. You had to have nominated for a previous draft to be eligible for the MSD or have been delisted from another club for at least a year. There are exemptions but not for 17-year-olds to avoid your scenario playing out.

But plenty of over agers miss out in the National Draft and get another chance a year or two later. Just gotta find em.

Nah. You had to have nominated for a previous draft to be eligible for the MSD or have been delisted from another club for at least a year. There are exemptions but not for 17-year-olds to avoid your scenario playing out.

But plenty of over agers miss out in the National Draft and get another chance a year or two later. Just gotta find em.
Jai Culley got picked up in a mid season draft by a team who had an early pick.
Not sure if they pulled a swifty to get him

We have one spot available due to Castagna retiring. No real benefit of Tarrant pulling the pin early unless the club thinks we might be able to pinch a kid early that is projecting to be a decent prospect come the National Draft later in the year.

Will be interesting. Obviously if Tarrant wants to call it I can’t see the club getting in his way.

The interesting thing with the MSD is that the players have to nominate the length of contract. Generally this will be 18 months.

Noting we already have one, and we have to make a minimum of three list changes next season I do wonder if they’d rather have one MSD pick and then take an additional player in the national draft

Will be interesting. Obviously if Tarrant wants to call it I can’t see the club getting in his way.

The interesting thing with the MSD is that the players have to nominate the length of contract. Generally this will be 18 months.

Noting we already have one, and we have to make a minimum of three list changes next season I do wonder if they’d rather have one MSD pick and then take an additional player in the national draft
Reckon it might be the other way round , we may be keen to call it , he not so, can’t see issue if he’s paid out ok

Reckon it might be the other way round , we may be keen to call it , he not so, can’t see issue if he’s paid out ok

You may well be right. I think if it something between now and the MSD it’s probably more of a subtle hint at by the club.

Thing that may get in the way - and it’s purely speculation on my behalf - is whether by retiring and the documentation needed to adhere to the new rules the AFL has implemented would mean that Tarrant’s contract is null and void. The extension of that is whether there contract being made null and void would cease any obligation of the RFC to provide medical services for his hip issue.

That’s purely from my limited knowledge of player contracts and from there on a massive speculative jump on my part.

Back