Who was your favourite main family character from The Simpsons?

Remove this Banner Ad

Dont be a lemon

Brownlow Medallist
Suspended
Jun 2, 2006
Party time all the time
AFL Club
Essendon
I have put the word "was" in the topic title because the series went to s**t around the end of last century and I'd like to see people vote based on the 'good times' (although if you genuinely like the 21st century episodes then by all means take them into consideration).

More and more as I watch the old episodes (having seasons 1-9 on DVD) I'm liking Lisa more and finding her to be the most enjoyable. Perhaps with age and time I've grown to appreciate the way she was written and portayed. Maybe I didn't really know how to properly enjoy her? Anyone else have similar thoughts?

P.S. Maggie's in the poll because it would be rude to leave her out ;)

I have put the word "was" in the topic title because the series went to s**t around the end of last century and I'd like to see people vote based on the 'good times' (although if you genuinely like the 21st century episodes then by all means take them into consideration).
;)

100% agree.

Am watching an ep on 10 now, where Marge pretends shes married to Apu and Homer is living in the retirement village. Fecking hilarious. :D:thumbsu:

Here I am using my own lungs like a sucker!!!!!!!! :D

Oh and I'd have to say Homer... how can anyones fav not be Homer.

Homer by miles, probably followed by Maggie. How they made a character that didn't talk so entertaining is beyond me.

Honourable mention to Abe.

Lisa followed by Homer.

I hate Lisa in the episode where she ruins Homer's BBQ though.

tumblr_lbs0g1w05L1qdoghio1_500.png

look everyone i brought enough gespatcho for all so you dont have to eat meat

its-still-good2.jpg

its still good its still good

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Lisa, just for the fact it's great when her dreams are trampled in the early seasons. Also, the bbbq episode is fantastic.

Lisa's my favourite character- have always strongly related to her :eek:
Surprised at how much love there is for Homer, and how little love there is for Bart!

Bart was a fantastically written character, but he was one-dimensional and his character didn't develop or allow for emotional moments. After nine seasons he was still pretty much "don't have a cow, man".

The answer is Homer and by so far it's ridiculous. They've removed Homer's softer side, that, essentially, he's just a normal guy trying his best to keep a roof over his family's head and in doing so, they've removed the show's soul. It's just full-speed all the time without giving the audience time to breathe and reflect. No storyline, just joke, set-up, joke. You know that episode where Marge is trying to explain to Patty and Selma that Homer is actually kind and complex and he leans out the window and smashes a plate over his head? That's New Simpsons.

do-it-for-her.png

Gets me every time.

Daddy--Maggie-s-first-word-maggie-simpson-660442_180_268.jpg

This too.

Find another character, in any show, ever made, that managed to entertain and move the audience in the way that Maggie did while only ever saying one word. You can't.

Good thing putting was in the poll.

Homer - before they just made him angry and stupid without being a decent guy and father underneath all the laziness and crazy things he does.
Bart - although getting repetitive by the end of it's golden run (season 11).

Lisa and Marge weren't funny and episodes centered on them were usually the worst (Last exit to Springfield, having a large Lisa part one of the few exceptions). One of the reasons for its slide from the end of season 11 onwards is more Lisa and Marge based episodes. They are essential characters - but as foils for Homer and Bart to show how stupid they are, or the consequences of their actions. They shouldn't have been pushed to the front of so many later season episodes.

Maggie falls into the same category as Lisa and Marge, except they thankfully didn't try to make too many Maggie episodes.

Just found this thread and thought I would give my 2 cents.

The answer for me is clearly Homer. Apparently Bart was the main character in the beginning of the show as he was supposed to be based on a young Matt Groening (as you probably know), but found the audience responded more fondly to Homer and so he became the main Protagonist.
Homer does and says everything you wish you could but can't. He is so likeable because he is so dumb and naive. As a parent he does as most parents wish they could do from time to time and just not care. He doesn't sugar coat advise he gives the kids and in a lot of ways 'he' is the child of the family, being brought up by the kids. He is completely flawed as a person, but never pretends like he isn't. If anything, he embraces it.

I was quite surprised in reading this thread to see those naming Lisa as their favourite character, but as I've read and started writing this post, I've realised how much I appreciate her character. I still find her preachy and a bit of a party pooper, but she definitely provides an important role in the show. In a way, I think she is supposed to represent 'you', as in 'the viewer'. She continually comments on how outrages and ignorant the other characters are and usually sees the glaring inconsistencies in society. She keeps the show grounded and relevant.
Having said that, her and Marge work best as support characters and episodes focused around them tend to be the most boring.

This post was never meant to be this long, so I'll finish it off with a list of my favourite 'family' characters and my favourite from the 'support' cast:

The Family
1. Homer
2. Bart
3. Lisa
4. Marge
5. Maggie

The rest
1. Moe- "I'm better than dirt. Well, most kinds of dirt, not that fancy store-bought dirt... I can't compete with that stuff."
2. Lenny (and Carl, they come as a pair)
3. Mr Burns
4. Flanders- He annoys me, but most of the funnier moments in the show are his interactions with Homer.
5. Grandpa Simpson

My 10 favorite non Simpson characters:

1. Mr Burns
2. Lionel Hutz
3. Troy McClure
4. Principal Skinner
5. Ned Flanders
6. Moe
7. Ralph Wiggum
8. Milhouse
9. Apu
10. Chief Wiggum

Also special mention to Grampa Simpson, he is gold.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back