Why are Port risking David Rodan's career?

Remove this Banner Ad

Pain in the LARS for stricken David Rodan

PORT Adelaide onballer David Rodan has had a third knee reconstruction‘.

Rodan again opted for a LARS operation when his left knee was reconstructed for a second time on Monday night....

....Rodan, who had his right knee reconstructed by conventional surgery in 2005 when playing for Richmond, immediately requested another LARS procedure.

Of course he would though. No footballer wants to be on the sidelines due to injury and I can understand why he'd want to slash his recovery time by a few months, but that's what Port's doctors are there for. If a footballer pulls a hammy and feels as though he's ready to come back, do you think it would be up to him or do you think the doc would overrule them?

With the amount of trouble D-Rod has had with his knees since early in his career would having a traditional re-construction really make the risk of it happening again any better :confused:

With the amount of trouble D-Rod has had with his knees since early in his career would having a traditional re-construction really make the risk of it happening again any better :confused:

Well I guess you have to ask yourself the question. Do they go with the traditional knee reco method that has been successful in the past or do they go with the unproven LARS surgery again which failed after 10 months? I'd say there's a greater risk with one option.

Well I guess you have to ask yourself the question. Do they go with the traditional knee reco method that has been successful in the past or do they go with the unproven LARS surgery again which failed after 10 months? I'd say there's a greater risk with one option.

Yeah I see your point, would be better to go with the proven method, I would only understand rushing him back if they were in premiership contention.

Fortunately this is still a (sort of) free country, and Rodan was able to choose which procedure to do on his own :thumbsu:

Lol wut? A free country? :confused:

What's the point in having doctors in footy then?

Doctors give an opinion/recommendation, the patient gets to choose... a whacky concept i know, but we are generally in charge of what happens to our bodies. I'm also pretty sure a guy who has been through both types of surgery would be fairly well informed on the risks/complications of both.

If traditional reconstructions are so awesome, please enlighten us on how Brett Burton, Shaun Rehn, and Trent Hentschel recovered from theirs? Rehn had what.... 3 reconstructions? You think he would have chosen LARS had it been available?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I wonder if Daniel Chick had any say in getting his finger lopped off?:confused:

Doctors give an opinion/recommendation, the patient gets to choose... a whacky concept i know, but we are generally in charge of what happens to our bodies. I'm also pretty sure a guy who has been through both types of surgery would be fairly well informed on the risks/complications of both.

If traditional reconstructions are so awesome, please enlighten us on how Brett Burton, Shaun Rehn, and Trent Hentschel recovered from theirs? Rehn had what.... 3 reconstructions? You think he would have chosen LARS had it been available?

Poor form dav.:thumbsdown:

Hentchells was a lot worse than just an ACL. Burton was worse as well. Rehn was always buggered after his first one.
What about Schwartz from Melbourne. He had 2 or 3. Came back way too early and did it again.
Traditional reconstructions aren't "awesome"!! They just have a better result than the LARS procedure.
I'm surprised Rodan has chosen it again. I would have thought he was a much more valuable asset to Port than to risk it going again.

Are you saying that if someone pulls a hammy, then wants to play the next week he can because the "patient gets to choose" ? Surely you jest.

And I think it's pretty obvious Rodan chose the LARS surgery due to the recovery time. He's been through both and which surgery gave him more playing time?

Rehn had horrible luck with his knee injuries and Hentschel's was likened to a car crash victim so you couldn't expect him to come back and win a Brownlow. Burton did his late in his career and still got back into our best 22.

Why are you just talking about Crows players though? How about every other successful knee reconstruction? This isn't a Port v Crows argument so stop trying to make it into one.

I wonder if Daniel Chick had any say in getting his finger lopped off?:confused:

He did and I also recall Cornes wanting to get his done, but the doc recommending against it. At the end of the day it's the player's choice, but if they have faith in their club doctor, they'll follow their advice.

I don't see anything wrong with Rodan having LARS again, but they should certainly slow down his recovery this time. The proper reconstruction is not really an option as I understand it anyway, given what they had to do with the first LARS surgery. Good luck to him, he's a classy player and a class act.:thumbsu:

Why are you just talking about Crows players though? How about every other successful knee reconstruction? This isn't a Port v Crows argument so stop trying to make it into one.

Where is the thread you started about Nick Malceski's LARS procedure?:confused:

Completely different. Chick was in pain and opted to get the top of it amputated to prolong his career.

In a situation like Rodan's, the ligament frayed after 10 months. I would've thought instead of allowing Rodan to immediately have another LARS surgery, that a little bit more thought would have gone into it. There was also a good point bought up in the paper that there is the likehood that the LARS surgery just doesn't stand up to Rodan's game style.

Poor form dav.:thumbsdown:

Hentchells was a lot worse than just an ACL. Burton was worse as well. Rehn was always buggered after his first one.
What about Schwartz from Melbourne. He had 2 or 3. Came back way too early and did it again.
Traditional reconstructions aren't "awesome"!! They just have a better result than the LARS procedure.
I'm surprised Rodan has chosen it again. I would have thought he was a much more valuable asset to Port than to risk it going again.

What poor form? I'm not laughing at the fact they had injuries, I'm giving examples of how traditional knee reconstructions aren't guaranteed to return you to your best. Meanwhile fryingpan has come out panning (pun intended) Port for forcing him to go down the LARS path again, while its been clearly stated that a guy who has been through both procedures chose LARS himself. It's his choice, he's the one who has to live with the consequences if it fails.

Completely different. Chick was in pain and opted to get the top of it amputated to prolong his career. In a situation like Rodan's, the ligament frayed after 10 months. I would've thought instead of allowing Rodan to immediately have another LARS surgery, that a little bit more thought would have gone into it. There was also a good point bought up in the paper that there is the likehood that the LARS surgery just doesn't stand up to Rodan's game style.

Not different at all (to me anyway). Chick had the option of having the joint fused but he decided to have the finger lopped. The doctors provided the options and he took the course of action the he deemed most appropriate.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back