Why are Port risking David Rodan's career?

Remove this Banner Ad

Not different at all (to me anyway). Chick had the option of having the joint fused but he decided to have the finger lopped. The doctors provided the options and he took the course of action the he deemed most appropriate.

So what? The main point with Chick is that he was in pain and needed to take drastic action in order to continue playing footy.

Rodan has been through both procedures and has opted to go for the LARS surgery obviously due to shorter recovery time, because if he was choosing based on what gave him more time on the field, he'd choose the traditional method.

Good luck to him though, but I do think his emotions got in the way. If we're thinking long term then I can't understand why they didn't go with the traditional method. It's a huge risk doing the LARS surgery again, which is the entire point of the thread.

Good point, are your saying LARS can be successful with a short time turnaround to prolong a footballers career?

It took 2 years for Malceski to get back to playing decent football. LARS is still widely unproven and if the ligament frays after less than a year then maybe you have to consider the possibility that the LARS surgery just isn't the right option for someone with a game style like Rodan's.

Completely different. Chick was in pain and opted to get the top of it amputated to prolong his career.

In a situation like Rodan's, the ligament frayed after 10 months. I would've thought instead of allowing Rodan to immediately have another LARS surgery, that a little bit more thought would have gone into it. There was also a good point bought up in the paper that there is the likehood that the LARS surgery just doesn't stand up to Rodan's game style.

Yeah you are probably right, very little thought would have gone into it at all. He probably didnt even need it done, they just thought, you know what, lets open Davids knee up and have a muck around while it's off season.

We'll toss a coin, heads for a traditional reco, tails we'll redo the LARS ligament.

What poor form? I'm not laughing at the fact they had injuries, I'm giving examples of how traditional knee reconstructions aren't guaranteed to return you to your best. Meanwhile fryingpan has come out panning (pun intended) Port for forcing him to go down the LARS path again, while its been clearly stated that a guy who has been through both procedures chose LARS himself. It's his choice, he's the one who has to live with the consequences if it fails.

I am sure you are aware Burton and Hentchells knee injuries were worse than just a ruptured ACL. No comparison there.

THat's why I am surprised he went for it again. I would have thought the Port medicos and coaches would have tried to talk him into the traditional procedure. IMO, he is playing with fire.

But hey, I'm just a nuff nuff on an internetz forum;)

What do I know:confused:

**cue jibes

Yeah I see your point, would be better to go with the proven method, I would only understand rushing him back if they were in premiership contention.

No, they're not in premiership contention but they are in prove-Primus-is-not-a-s**t-coach contention which is why they need to rush only a "good average" player like Rodan back.

Rodan has been through both procedures and has opted to go for the LARS surgery obviously due to shorter recovery time, because if he was choosing based on what gave him more time on the field, he'd choose the traditional method.

This sounds a lot more like conjecture than fact.

If we're thinking long term then I can't understand why they didn't go with the traditional method. It's a huge risk doing the LARS surgery again, which is the entire point of the thread.

Actually I believe I read comments from the doctor who did the original surgery that said going back to a traditional reco after having the LARS surgery done can be problematic due to the extra bone they remove to accomodate the LARS ligament. It is supposedly a fair bit more bone than is removed normally.

Good luck to him though, but I do think his emotions got in the way. If we're thinking long term then I can't understand why they didn't go with the traditional method. It's a huge risk doing the LARS surgery again, which is the entire point of the thread.

Wow, what a contradiction to your op:confused: So now it's Rodan risking his career rather than Port?

Wow, what a contradiction to your op:confused: So now it's Rodan risking his career rather than Port?

Sigh.

Every footballer would choose an option which means less time on the sidelines. As Rodan's employer, and with qualified staff at the club, I would've thought Port wouldn't let his emotions get in the way of what's best for his future.

Who knows? I wish him the best of luck but if his ligament frays after 10 months then like I said, maybe LARS surgery doesn't stand up to the rigours of Rodan's twisting, turning and weaving game style.

Why is frying pan risking his Bay 13 career by being a dirty welching bastard?

Try to stay on topic:D

Correct lets get this thread back on topic. So why is frying pan risking his Bay 13 career by being a dirty welching bastard?

Is it because he is just one of many Camry Crowsters who are just plain filth?

Why is frying pan risking his Bay 13 career by being a dirty welching bastard?

Of course he would though. No footballer wants to be on the sidelines due to injury and I can understand why he'd want to slash his recovery time by a few months, but that's what Port's doctors are there for. If a footballer pulls a hammy and feels as though he's ready to come back, do you think it would be up to him or do you think the doc would overrule them?

**** off, Welcher.
:(:(:mad::mad:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Re: Why is frying pan risking his Bay 13 career by being a dirty welching bastard?

Oh my God.

Some people, probably due to intense sociopathic tendencies beyond their control, take Bay 13 very seriously and see it as their raison d'être.

I am sure you are aware Burton and Hentchells knee injuries were worse than just a ruptured ACL. No comparison there.

THat's why I am surprised he went for it again. I would have thought the Port medicos and coaches would have tried to talk him into the traditional procedure. IMO, he is playing with fire.

But hey, I'm just a nuff nuff on an internetz forum;)

What do I know:confused:

**cue jibes

Hentschel might be a little different, but as far as I was aware Burtons was quite similar.... infact:

Burton ponders 'Malceski' path
...Burton suffered the injury making a seemingly innocuous change of direction and, at age 30, will look at all his options before deciding on a definite course of action.

Pain in the LARS for stricken David Rodan
..."It was just a pretty innocuous movement which he has done a thousand times since he's had the operation," Port coach Matthew Primus said.

Rodan might be playing with fire, but I guess its a no risk no reward type thing, and for all we know Port DID trying and talk him out of it. Also as someone mentioned earlier... doing a traditional reconstruction after LARS is a bit more difficult.

I guess it all comes down to the fact that no one would know more about his injuries than the club, his doctors, and Rodan himself... and given that none of us are surgeons (hell I wouldn't trust a few people in here with a plastic spork, let alone surgical equipment) I'm not sure why any of us would know better.

Re: Why is frying pan risking his Bay 13 career by being a dirty welching bastard?

Oh my God.

I fully expected you to help out a welcher. You’re the type that protests against compulsory military service. Why don’t you piss off and make a few more tie-dye t-shirts, you ****en draft dodging hippy.

To be honest i would say Rodan was unlucky, out of the 4 players that have had the procedure Rodan's the type of player that would be the one where the lars would fail. His style and his evading skills would put alot of pressure on his knees with all the twists and turns.

For the reason why he would have chosen Lars over a normal reco would be because its there, just because its not proven doesnt mean it shouldnt be an option. I thought this procedure had been quite sucessfull in other countries just because it hasnt been used here in Australia doesnt mean its not proven.

If we didnt try new things we would still be living in caves sitting around a fire, hoping someone would give electicity a go or someone trying to build a house with bricks and motar.

I fully expected you to help out a welcher. You’re the type that protests against compulsory military service. Why don’t you piss off and make a few more tie-dye t-shirts, you ****en draft dodging hippy.

Is that the AFL draft he's dodging? If not I wasn't aware that conscription had returned. Have you put your hand up for national service? You know you can just join the army, you don't have to wait for it to be compulsory.

What was it that excluded you? Web feet, fat fingers or the psych test?

Hentschel might be a little different, but as far as I was aware Burtons was quite similar.... infact:

Burton ponders 'Malceski' path

Pain in the LARS for stricken David Rodan

Rodan might be playing with fire, but I guess its a no risk no reward type thing, and for all we know Port DID trying and talk him out of it. Also as someone mentioned earlier... doing a traditional reconstruction after LARS is a bit more difficult.

I guess it all comes down to the fact that no one would know more about his injuries than the club, his doctors, and Rodan himself... and given that none of us are surgeons (hell I wouldn't trust a few people in here with a plastic spork, let alone surgical equipment) I'm not sure why any of us would know better.

Fair point. Burton did have knee troubles before his ACL though. He couldnt kick the footy over a jam tin before his ACL.
I suppose weighing it all up, people in here will have divided opinions. Hope is works for him. Take it from me though, the more times you have your knee opened up, the more trouble you will have with it.

From what I have read about LARS it seems the best option for older players as it may not last as long as a normal reco but will last them until the end of their career.
For a younger player I don't think its a really a good option. It sounds as if, once done, LARS provides too many complications to then have a full blow reco done on the same knee if done again thus limiting further options. Hence if this was to happen the young player may end his career early or never come back the same player he was.
In Rodan's case it was probably a case of if you have LARS it wont last as long but you have a good chance of getting back to 100%. If you have a full reco then you may have problems with the knee for the rest of your career due to the first LARS operation. It also may be a case of rodan having to lose some weight to help prevent this again. And before you cry foul I am not saying he's fat just saying he is a very heavy set player.
To me all options would have been sought after and many medical opinions given. I am sure the club has done right by him because the last thing Port want is a court case if the procedure fails again and ends Rodans career after they push him into something he didnt want.
I really like Rodan as a player and respect him as a person. Good luck to him and hope he is back playing sooner rather than later

I don't think avoiding military duty is the same thing as welching, but then I'm not up with the latest military terminology. For the record though, I am against compulsary military service so I guess you got me pegged there.

As for tie-dye shirts, I told you man, I'm not hip enough to wear that sort of stuff. I'm the worlds least fashionable hippy :(

Also I'm not defending anyone - I'm just positively bemused why anybody, in even the furthest throes of insanity, would even contemplate using the expression "Bay 13 career" in a context that implies that it is not only something that exists, but also has any kind of value.

I don't think avoiding military duty is the same thing as welching, but then I'm not up with the latest military terminology. For the record though, I am against compulsary military service so I guess you got me pegged there.

As for tie-dye shirts, I told you man, I'm not hip enough to wear that sort of stuff. I'm the worlds least fashionable hippy :(

Also I'm not defending anyone - I'm just positively bemused why anybody, in even the furthest throes of insanity, would even contemplate using the expression "Bay 13 career" in a context that implies that it is not only something that exists, but also has any kind of value.

The above post probably explains why your Bay 13 career can be equated to that of the photocopy clerk.

Correct lets get this thread back on topic. So why is frying pan risking his Bay 13 career by being a dirty welching bastard?

LOL :D:eek::eek::D!

So much LOL :D:D!

Let's just take a moment to reflect......................

i agree that griddle is plain filth:thumbsu:

The above post probably explains why your Bay 13 career can be equated to that of the photocopy clerk.

Bahahaha. What led you to your chosen career :eek:? What are the fringe benefits? Holidays? Sick leave? Do they provide training if you want to get ahead?

Douche......just LOL :D!

Remove this Banner Ad

Back