Why is there a Fitzroy board?

Remove this Banner Ad

There are other threads on this giving the reasons ($$$, ground requirements, etc), but one could also suggest the VFL simply isn't as desireable a vessel for the club anyway. The atmosphere at Brunswick Street for the VAFA matches more than suffices.
The VFL just ain't what it used to be. The VAFA is a far better option for Fitzroy.

Anyone know why Fitzroy aren't in the VFL? VFL doesn't have that many teams and it'd be nice to see them

Considering how much the AFL have to support certain clubs in the AFL, I thought as a mark of respect considering their minimal support of Fitzroy they could help set the club up in the VFL.

I think ground facilites is where it would fall down.

Considering how much the AFL have to support certain clubs in the AFL, I thought as a mark of respect considering their minimal support of Fitzroy they could help set the club up in the VFL.

I think ground facilites is where it would fall down.

Don't fitzroy have 1100 members? surely that's way more than most VFL clubs, wouldn't be too expensive

Don't fitzroy have 1100 members? surely that's way more than most VFL clubs, wouldn't be too expensive

Where do you play them from though, that's what I am getting at, Brunswick Street doesn't have the facilities.

It is a good pipe dream but the level of support they would need to get it off the ground would be too difficult.

Short answer: University have only competed in the VFL for less than 7 years, last season being nearly 100 years ago, which means that anyone who followed that team would be dead by now. Fitzroy were in the VFL/AFL for 100 years and their last season at that level was in 1996, which means a lot of people who followed the Roys that year are still alive. Also there is still a Fitzroy team in the VAFA, as well as the Brisbane Lions flying the Fitzroy flag at VFL/AFL level.

FWIW I wouldn't mind seeing University have its own board, but it would only have 6 threads per year at most.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Short answer: University have only competed in the VFL for less than 7 years, last season being nearly 100 years ago, which means that anyone who followed that team would be dead by now. Fitzroy were in the VFL/AFL for 100 years and their last season at that level was in 1996, which means a lot of people who followed the Roys that year are still alive. Also there is still a Fitzroy team in the VAFA, as well as the Brisbane Lions flying the Fitzroy flag at VFL/AFL level.

FWIW I wouldn't mind seeing University have its own board, but it would only have 6 threads per year at most.

Mate I bleed University's colours, they are my faviourite team by a mile.
FYI: Ok, so Fitzroy ended in 1996. Where's the Bears board, and the South Melbourne board?

FYI: Ok, so Fitzroy ended in 1996. Where's the Bears board, and the South Melbourne board?
Fitzroy never ended, they compete in the VAFA.

I'd personally like to see a Bears and South Melbourne board but there isn't enough demand for those two boards. If there was genuine demand for it, it would be there.

Also the Brisbane Bears are the same legal entity as the Brisbane Lions (although I don't see them as the same club) and South Melbourne is the same legal entity as Sydney (I'll let the South Melbourne/Sydney fans decide if they see it as the same club).

And University would have 4 threads:

What went wrong 100 years ago.
How can we get a VAFA or VFL Team up again.
Port are struggling, why not let us back in the AFL, we deserve a second chance.
How are all university members going with their exams.

Port are struggling, why not let us back in the AFL, we deserve a second chance.

They have two VAFA clubs, Uni Blues and Uni Blacks.

They have two VAFA clubs, Uni Blues and Uni Blacks.
All the more reason to start a board.
By not starting one, I cannot honor my great grandfather, who played for University and South Melbourne, and my Grandfather who played 1 game for the Bears.

All the more reason to start a board.
By not starting one, I cannot honor my great grandfather, who played for University and South Melbourne, and my Grandfather who played 1 game for the Bears.
Considering that the Brisbane Bears were formed in 1986 and started their first season in 1987, I there is no way that your grandfather played for the Bears. If you had've said father or uncle, your rubbish might have been slightly believeable. While I think the Bears, South Melbourne and University should have their own board, there simply isn't much genuine demand for it. There was and still is a genuine demand for a Fitzroy board. That is the difference.

P.S. Your trolling on the Fitzroy and Brisbane Lions board is truly pathetic. Are you still mad over 2001? Were you even born then?

Quite well, thank you very much...

Oh wait, Uni of Melb :(

Considering that the Brisbane Bears were formed in 1986 and started their first season in 1987, I there is no way that your grandfather played for the Bears. If you had've said father or uncle, your rubbish might have been slightly believeable. While I think the Bears, South Melbourne and University should have their own board, there simply isn't much genuine demand for it. There was and still is a genuine demand for a Fitzroy board. That is the difference.

P.S. Your trolling on the Fitzroy and Brisbane Lions board is truly pathetic. Are you still mad over 2001? Were you even born then?

Its a great Grandfather he said too.

So if Father at 16 and was 35 when playing for the bears in 1987 then Son/Daughter was 16 when they had their first child meaning grandchild was 3 in 1987, now if Grand Son/Daughter keeps the family tradition alive that means they gave birth to great gran child in 2000, that would mean great gran child is 13 and way too young to be up to trolling boards.

Plus I can't see us being unaware of a Grandfather playing in the AFL.

Would be an interesting piece of trivia, has a grandfather ever played in the AFL.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back