News Charlie Dixon - Traded to . . . ?

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sorry for the intrusion. Just coming for some insight/ discussion from Gold Coast's point of view on the current Dixon saga. I hope your mods don't think I'm trolling "lol 2nd rounder plus fringe for Dixon." This is genuinely what I believe is going to happen. But I could be totally wrong. Who knows. I'm trying to piece it together still myself. No ban pls.

Looks like Port's list management has planned to increase Wines' and Wingard's salary in their new contract (most likely to be signed around December 2015. We do most of our contract announcements around December.) Schulz is out of contract this year and his salary was considered as well during this list management process to remain within the salary cap. We offered Schulz a contract and he refused. Schulz didn't agree the fee he'd receive was fair (around 300-400k). Schulz has decided to pursue other options and Freo are willing to pay more since they're most likely losing Pavlich at the end of the year and have been throwing cash at Full Forwards for years now.
Source: http://www.triplem.com.au/adelaide/shows/rush-hour-adelaide/podcast/tuesday-25-august-2015/

Hence our interest in Dixon. We will need to offload Schulz and one or more player(s) to fit Dixon in our salary cap. Butcher, Moore, Young and O'Shea looking the most likely candidates (in order of likelihood). Hence Port fans wishfully thinking we can package one or more of them to get Dixon in the trade in a kill 2 birds with 1 stone kinda way. Also Lobbe is in the mix given his recent drop in form. But Hinkley (at least publicly) seems stubborn on this issue. Not willing to trade him for anything right now. Even if it costs us finals (like it did this year.)

If it was my guess, we'll probably trade Schulz and our 2nd for Freo's 1st (and maybe Freo's 2nd - we'll see how desperate they are for a ready made Full Forward). In which case, that first rounder (pick 17-20 roughly) would most likely be sent your way for Dixon. Maybe packaged with a player. I'm not sure. But I know Port are super keen to hold their first round pick (roughly pick 10) this season since we traded away our first round pick the past 2 seasons consecutively to get Polec and Ryder. But it is wishful thinking on our (the fans) part.

Honestly not sure if I even want Dixon. Very fearful of his ankles breaking down. But he clearly has talent. He's a Full Forward unlike Schulz too. Schulz is a good forward but doesn't command the Forward 50. I feel Dixon would command our forward line. Will be super depressed when he's injured though.

Edit: After doing some research, I think it's actually illegal for Port to trade it's first round pick given the restrictions provided by the AFL in regards to trading future picks. You need to have 2 first round picks in a 4 year period according to the following link (2nd dot point): http://www.afl.com.au/news/2015-08-06/future-trading-given-goahead-but-with-restrictions
Port has traded away 2 of its last 3 first rounders. That means pick 10 is off the table unless we get another first round pick. Making the Schulz theory not necessarily true, but more likely than a straight swap for pick 10.

Only if it's retrospective, which is unlikely

Sorry for the intrusion. Just coming for some insight/ discussion from Gold Coast's point of view on the current Dixon saga. I hope your mods don't think I'm trolling "lol 2nd rounder plus fringe for Dixon." This is genuinely what I believe is going to happen. But I could be totally wrong. Who knows. I'm trying to piece it together still myself. No ban pls.

Looks like Port's list management has planned to increase Wines' and Wingard's salary in their new contract (most likely to be signed around December 2015. We do most of our contract announcements around December.) Schulz is out of contract this year and his salary was considered as well during this list management process to remain within the salary cap. We offered Schulz a contract and he refused. Schulz didn't agree the fee he'd receive was fair (around 300-400k). Schulz has decided to pursue other options and Freo are willing to pay more since they're most likely losing Pavlich at the end of the year and have been throwing cash at Full Forwards for years now.
Source: http://www.triplem.com.au/adelaide/shows/rush-hour-adelaide/podcast/tuesday-25-august-2015/

Hence our interest in Dixon. We will need to offload Schulz and one or more player(s) to fit Dixon in our salary cap. Butcher, Moore, Young and O'Shea looking the most likely candidates (in order of likelihood). Hence Port fans wishfully thinking we can package one or more of them to get Dixon in the trade in a kill 2 birds with 1 stone kinda way. Also Lobbe is in the mix given his recent drop in form. But Hinkley (at least publicly) seems stubborn on this issue. Not willing to trade him for anything right now. Even if it costs us finals (like it did this year.)

If it was my guess, we'll probably trade Schulz and our 2nd for Freo's 1st (and maybe Freo's 2nd - we'll see how desperate they are for a ready made Full Forward). In which case, that first rounder (pick 17-20 roughly) would most likely be sent your way for Dixon. Maybe packaged with a player. I'm not sure. But I know Port are super keen to hold their first round pick (roughly pick 10) this season since we traded away our first round pick the past 2 seasons consecutively to get Polec and Ryder. But it is wishful thinking on our (the fans) part.

Honestly not sure if I even want Dixon. Very fearful of his ankles breaking down. But he clearly has talent. He's a Full Forward unlike Schulz too. Schulz is a good forward but doesn't command the Forward 50. I feel Dixon would command our forward line. Will be super depressed when he's injured though.

Edit: After doing some research, I think it's actually illegal for Port to trade it's first round pick given the restrictions provided by the AFL in regards to trading future picks. You need to have 2 first round picks in a 4 year period according to the following link (2nd dot point): http://www.afl.com.au/news/2015-08-06/future-trading-given-goahead-but-with-restrictions
Port has traded away 2 of its last 3 first rounders. That means pick 10 is off the table unless we get another first round pick. Making the Schulz theory not necessarily true, but more likely than a straight swap for pick 10.

You make reasonable arguments except a couple of your assumptions seem unlikely to happen:

1. Fremantle are very unlikely to be desperate enough to gift even a last 1st rd draft pick for a 30 yo out of form, undersized full forward

2. While you hope you will get pick 18-19 for a washed up player who the Power reportedly won't pay $400k to to you think we should take the equivalent plus a fringe player for a 25 yo power forward who you would be prepared to pay 50% more over more years who is not worth a #10 pick

3. If the compensation being offered is borderline useless for us to use (pick #24+) it presents the Suns with an opportunity to make a public stand against players and other clubs trying to dictate terms and demanding trades to the club of their choice without adequate compensation. That could provide us with more credibility at future trade negotiations which may be more valuable in the long run than the opportunity cost of missing out on Port's 2nd rd pick and a fringe player.

If pick 10 is not on the table , Dicko will be staying , that is a cold hard fact.

Don't know if he will be staying but he would be long odds to make it through to Port - a lot of cashed up Victorian clubs between pick 1 and 8 of the PSD who need a power forward and will be more than happy to meet his financial terms without having to give up any picks or players.

You make reasonable arguments except a couple of your assumptions seem unlikely to happen:

1. Fremantle are very unlikely to be desperate enough to gift even a last 1st rd draft pick for a 30 yo out of form, undersized full forward

2. While you hope you will get pick 18-19 for a washed up player who the Power reportedly won't pay $400k to to you think we should take the equivalent plus a fringe player for a 25 yo power forward who you would be prepared to pay 50% more over more years who is not worth a #10 pick

3. If the compensation being offered is borderline useless for us to use (pick #24+) it presents the Suns with an opportunity to make a public stand against players and other clubs trying to dictate terms and demanding trades to the club of their choice without adequate compensation. That could provide us with more credibility at future trade negotiations which may be more valuable in the long run than the opportunity cost of missing out on Port's 2nd rd pick and a fringe player.

1. I think you misunderstood what I said. I did say Freo's first pick (17-20) for Schulz and our second pick (30). It's a downgrade, but nothing horrific. These types of deals are quite common. If Freo bundle out of the finals due to their poor attacking prowess, then you can bet they will be desperate to land Schulz. Especially if Pav retires. They have no one to replace him. Even if Schulz is only being paid 400k give or take. Do you know how many full forward targets Fremantle have failed to lure to the West in recent years? I'd say close to 10. They will play ball to make it happen. But then again, maybe it'll just be their 2nd round pick (40) in a straight swap for Schulz.

2. Point 1 kinda covers point 2. I agree, Schulz isn't worth a late first round pick. I never said he was, once again, it's an exchange of picks. Which in effect would mean we'd pay our 2nd rounder and Schulz (plus potentially more) to get Dixon. Which isn't unrealistic. I can understand why your list manager would hold out on the deal. But that being said, so can we. Rodney Eade has made some pretty damning comments in his recent interviews regarding Dixon's ankles/ being injury prone and only a 15-game a year player. That would decrease his value in a trade where he is most likely going to nominate us as his club.

3. I can understand why you guys would feel that way. We've been screwed over in the recent past with players wanting to leave too. Ben Jacobs the most notable. First round draft pick who left after his first 2 years to North Melbourne as a free agent. They wouldn't offer anything other than a late 2nd rounder - early 3rd, if my memory serves me well. When a player chooses to leave you really can't do much about it I'm afraid. Take what you can get, or get nothing at all. In the Ben Jacobs trade, we chose nothing. It sends a message but at a price. Which wouldn't help you guys in this particular trade anyway.

Fact of the matter Dixon is easily in our top 10 players of importance. A fair deal is someone who is of top 10 importance for the recipient. GCFC actually have the luxury of quite a few key positions, and any suitors will have to pay up handsomely as they are typically some of the highest paid players in the game. Case in point some of Dicko's reported offers around the 3mil mark.

Personal opinion, hope we offer about a 500k deal over 3 years. I can certainly understand the bloke trying to get the best deal he can for himself.

Opposition supporters can't keep offering up fringe 22, when one of the top key positions is available on the wage he is on. E.g. From Port, I would hope one of their top 10 players is in the conversation that is excess to Ports list management needs. Hartlett, Boak, Wines, Wingard, Gray, Ebert, Westhoff, Lobbe, Ryder. If the shoe is on the other foot what would be required? You get the idea... I know most people in life expect something for nothing, but that usually doesn't get them very far. End rant. :)
I don't want to get in to an tit for tat arguments on your board, but the issue with naming top 10 players that are under contract is that those players need to want to leave. If Dixon wants to go, like any player who wants to go, it makes it harder to get 'worth'.

Anyway, hopefully if we do want him both sides feel like they got decent value from the deal.

But they don't have Ken

And we care about keeping Ken happy? I would actually think both public and board sentiment have swung against him and we would rather he back off and stop trying to take our required players (you can have Gorringe, he doesn't count) given we were good enough to let him leave while he was still contracted.

I don't want to get in to an tit for tat arguments on your board, but the issue with naming top 10 players that are under contract is that those players need to want to leave. If Dixon wants to go, like any player who wants to go, it makes it harder to get 'worth'.

Anyway, hopefully if we do want him both sides feel like they got decent value from the deal.

Maybe we can keep him for another year on good money and then you can get him as a free agent and the AFL can give us the 1st round draft pick and everybody is happy

Stated he wants to stay, he is only going if he can get a godfather deal. If you guys are willing to invest in such a deal then so be it.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Don't be so sure.Hawks held onto Clarko for his plan to be executed. Port were in total dire straights in 2012 so what Ken and co. have achieved so far is outstanding.

I agree it has been outstanding, what I am saying is that expectations have been set. I think you would agree they were not met this year, if that happens again next year then Ken (like any coach) will be under pressure.

I agree it has been outstanding, what I am saying is that expectations have been set. I think you would agree they were not met this year, if that happens again next year then Ken (like any coach) will be under pressure.
I understand your point, but same with all coaches. That's footy. I think our boys have learned their lesson and with our guns back in next year plus the depth we have discovered I feel optimistic for us and Ken. There is no way his contract will be cut short imo.

Clarko had a flag by 2009, Ken's achieved what?
That's true, in Clarko's 5th Season, in a 16 team competition. Let's compare oranges with oranges. This is only Ken's 3rd season at Port. Plus Clarko and Hawks got some very very handy draft picks and had exceptional talent to work with in his early years. Port bottomed out when all the top talent were taken by GWS and GCS. Let's discuss this at the end of 2017 and see how Ken has gone. As I said, he's not gong anywhere. PAFC is in his blood already.

Where has Charlie ever said he is going to stay at gcs? And would only leave for a godfather like offer?

This goes against not only every thing we have heard that he has asked to be traded , and traded to port , but it also cannot be possible if he has more money on offer from bris. Which he did. They withdrew right when all the talk was that he had chosen port , which fits with everything we know.

It doesn't make sense that he could have possibly told gcs he would stay , then knocked back an offer from bris for big money , then nominates port but wants to stay at gcs?

As for shultz I think we have no chance of getting freos 1st by giving them our 2nd.

they would lead with their 3rd rounder , we might be able to swing our 3rd and shultz into their 2nd as that would only be a 12spot downgrade. If shaw asks for a trade to Freo as I suspect he might we have even more trade bait.

I don't think port will be using any combo of second rounders or fringe players to gc though.

Would be this years or next years first rounder.. I just think that it wouldn't need to be a straight swap. Imo port could and should ask for something back. Hard to see gc playing hard ball after they have publicly spoken about dixon not ever being able to play a full season etc etc talk.

What do you guys make of the club coming out and saying that publicly ?

Where has Charlie ever said he is going to stay at gcs? And would only leave for a godfather like offer?

This goes against not only every thing we have heard that he has asked to be traded , and traded to port , but it also cannot be possible if he has more money on offer from bris. Which he did. They withdrew right when all the talk was that he had chosen port , which fits with everything we know.

It doesn't make sense that he could have possibly told gcs he would stay , then knocked back an offer from bris for big money , then nominates port but wants to stay at gcs?
How hard is it for you to comprehend? He loves the club but wants a longer deal for what he feels he is worth. The Suns are either refusing his money request or his contract length request, and has looked elsewhere.

Port has obviously offered a longer contract and he's wanting to go there.

The Suns obviously don't feel like a long-term offer for Dixon is worth it, so they're not budging.

He's got a dodgy ankle and he's at an age where he's needing to secure his future financially. I don't blame him for wanting that security, but I also don't blame the club for not agreeing to it.

Tredrea reporting over here he's requested a trade to Port.

Let's hope this doesn't drag on and both parties are satisfied with the deal.

How hard is it for you to comprehend? He loves the club but wants a longer deal for what he feels he is worth. The Suns are either refusing his money request or his contract length request, and has looked elsewhere.

Port has obviously offered a longer contract and he's wanting to go there.

The Suns obviously don't feel like a long-term offer for Dixon is worth it, so they're not budging.

He's got a dodgy ankle and he's at an age where he's needing to secure his future financially. I don't blame him for wanting that security, but I also don't blame the club for not agreeing to it.

A) I asked where has he ever said that , as I've seen this poster quote that many times that "dixons preference is to stay at gcs"

When a player is asking to be traded , excuse me for not buying into a poster saying his first choice is to stay and asking the poster where Charlie has said that..

B) I also questioned if contract was the issue why dixon would be going to port and not bris?

I'm hardly being antagonistic asking these questions , nor am I here trolling and spouting crap.

A) I asked where has he ever said that , as I've seen this poster quote that many times that "dixons preference is to stay at gcs"

When a player is asking to be traded , excuse me for not buying into a poster saying his first choice is to stay and asking the poster where Charlie has said that..

B) I also questioned if contract was the issue why dixon would be going to port and not bris?

I'm hardly being antagonistic asking these questions , nor am I here trolling and spouting crap.
Sorry but when did Dixon ask to be traded ?. Or are you just repeating what some media flog said on TV/Radio

Eade has said this in his press confrence , he said "'we want Charlie and Charlie does'nt want to go , but we are not gonna sell the farm to keep him.""

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back