Play Nice Will Geelong win the 2016 premiership?

Where do you think the Cats will finish this year?

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Patrick Dangerfield, Lachie Henderson and Zac Smith are on their way to the Cats, with Scott Selwood likely to be heading there as well.

Should the Cats land these players, the side should be taken seriously as a premiership contender next year.

The club has a strong winning culture, and with a core of players that includes J Selwood, Hawkins, Taylor, Enright, Bartel and Mackie - these blokes know what it takes to win flags.

Simpson, Menzel, Vardy and Clark will finally be fully fit.

Write the Cats off at your own peril is all that I can say.

Personally I believe they will be the biggest roadblock standing in between Hawthorn and the four peat.

Do you rate the Cats for 2016 and how do you like their chances of winning their 4th flag in 10 years?

If a team can win the flag from 7th or 8th then they are a chance because that will be as high as they finish.

Henderson and him will be able to carpool.
NBLUB9i.gif

Could quite easily see Geelong failing to make the 8 though which won't be a good look considering they have invested heavily in the now.
See this is really surprising that people think this. We were the first team in 20 years to finish on 48 points and not make the finals, had our worst run of injuries for a decade and now have topped up with Carlton and Adelaide's best players.

Motlop and Betts are equally as valuable to their respective sides. Betts kicks more goals as he plays closer to them but Motlop plays further up the ground and probably gets more possessions. Both are great on their day but both can also go missing for large amounts of games as well.
Betts came 2nd in the Coleman this year. Nuff said.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Betts was superb this year....lets not beat around the bush. Some of his goals and his general play made him a very dangerous proposition. He produced far more than I expected, and I don't think I am Robinson Crusoe in that respect. For Adelaide's sake, lets hope he can produce similar play....really enjoyed watching him play this year.

Comparing him with Steven Motlop is quite silly though, particularly on the basis of goals kicked. Motlop plays a totally different position, and a very different type of player.

As a Geelong supporter, I am VERY happy to have Motlop in our 22...he could well step up another level this year...he's got all the skills required. A player well worth keeping an eye on IMO.

See this is really surprising that people think this. We were the first team in 20 years to finish on 48 points and not make the finals, had our worst run of injuries for a decade and now have topped up with Carlton and Adelaide's best players.
Lol, Henderson was nowhere near Carlton's best player. You come up with some classic delusional posts!

You neglect to mention the players that have left too & that injuries will occur again & hardly a bigger factor than playing poor footy for missing the finals this year.

Geelong and Adelaide may simply reverse spots next year.

Could quite easily see Geelong failing to make the 8 though which won't be a good look considering they have invested heavily in the now.
I expect both teams will be around mid table & neither will threaten for a flag in 2016.

Sounds like Danger was going to be delisted anyway so it's lucky for him we decided to throw him a lifeline. Just hope he can reward the faith we've shown in him and become a somewhat decent AFL level player after we revived his career. Quietly confident.
I'm not sure. I'm gonna wait and see on this one....

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Were we obsessed this much about Gold Coast when Ablett left as Adelaide are about us?:drunk:
The key point of difference is gold coast supporters weren't claiming Ablett would enable them to jump up 8 spots on the ladder or make them a premiership threat...

I'm staggered reading some of the idiocy in this thread. Anyone who thinks that a team that had 12 wins, in a season where they had a horrific run with injuries, as well as a draw that was universally deemed to be as hard as any draw in the competition - won't improve by at least 4 wins - through adding 4 quality players, and the natural improvement to a swag of ready very promising youngsters - just doesn't know football.
So add 4 wins to 12 and you have 16 wins. And 16 wins gets you a top 4 finish.
Conversly. Take a side that just scraped into the 8. Take away their best player. Add an extra Year to their most consistent midfielder. Ask yourself if Eddie betts can really have another year THAT good. Then make their draw considerably harder. And all of a sudden they're 2-4 wins worse off.

That's reality.

I'm staggered reading some of the idiocy in this thread. Anyone who thinks that a team that had 12 wins, in a season where they had a horrific run with injuries, as well as a draw that was universally deemed to be as hard as any draw in the competition - won't improve by at least 4 wins - through adding 4 quality players, and the natural improvement to a swag of ready very promising youngsters - just doesn't know football.
So add 4 wins to 12 and you have 16 wins. And 16 wins gets you a top 4 finish.
Conversly. Take a side that just scraped into the 8. Take away their best player. Add an extra Year to their most consistent midfielder. Ask yourself if Eddie betts can really have another year THAT good. Then make their draw considerably harder. And all of a sudden they're 2-4 wins worse off.

That's reality.

To be fair, that's mostly hypothesis, not reality.

Gee you can tell it's pre-season and not much to talk about (till Tuesday)

Lets face it Geelong are rolling the dice ...in much the same way Brisbane did to try and get another flag b4 Brown, & Simon Black retired

Who left: Steve Johnson (GWS Giants), Dean Gore (Adelaide Crows), Dawson Simpson (GWS Giants), Jarrad Jansen (Brisbane), Josh Walker (Brisbane), Jared Rivers (retired), Mathew Stokes (retired), James Kelly (retired)
12 players going off your list is not the mark of a top side
* highlighted are important

Who arrived: Patrick Dangerfield (Adelaide Crows), Scott Selwood (West Coast Eagles), Lachie Henderson (Carlton), Zac Smith (Gold Coast)

The key get was obviously Dangerfield ....Henderson IMO replaces like for like Jared Rivers ...Zac Smith criticism is he's too soft as a ruckman & i can see him not being first 22 preference as the season progresses (it was a trade smacking of desperation for a ruckman)

Corey Enright will be 35 in 2016 ......he's not going to be holding form consistently
Lonegan will be 32 in 2016 .....can he hold form?
Mackie will be 32 in 2016 ....Can he hold form?

IMO the players lost have not adequately been replaced by the 4 in-coming
The midfield has been strengthened, particularly in contested footy
The defense looks very susceptable ......3 old players & 2 questionable KPD's

It's not a list profile that screams top 4 .....and i think alot of the optimism is centred on the recruitment of Dangerfield?

Take Dangerfield out .....would Geelong supporters be equally gung ho on 2016 if it was just Smith, Selwood & Henderson coming into the side???

Geelong and Adelaide may simply reverse spots next year.

Lots of quality outgoing Geelong players at the end of 2015 ......???on Mitch Clarke, still older defense

Plus 5 very very late draft picks in a weak draft is not a good sign ......plus no first round pick next year ....ouch!!!!

Lots of quality outgoing Geelong players at the end of 2015 ......???on Mitch Clarke, still older defense

Plus 5 very very late draft picks in a weak draft is not a good sign ......plus no first round pick next year ....ouch!!!!
And yet we probably will still beat you twice next year and finish higher...ouch!!!!

Back