Will Richmond Crash n' Burn Come Finals?

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Its not the end of the world - they have a lot to work with with their list. Still many young players are on their list. No need for threads like "will this squad go anywhere" since there is too much talent on the list. It is hard to see them going down at least. They could be in the mix next season.

They're a young team and though their loss hurts they'll be better for it in the long run.

This is the problem - and it's a big issue for Tigerland. The "young team" stuff is the base excuse for failure. I feel like Richmond have been developing their youth policy for over 10 years. When do the results come?

9th year after year? It's because they're young. Lose a final? it's because they're young. Take the average age of most teams - and there is usually about 12 months difference only. It's bullshite.

My feeling is that Richmond have huge support - so there are many people wanting them to do well. But I reckon they have many players whose abilities are massively inflated beyond reality. Yet, there is talk that this team is on track for a flag in the next few years!

The obesity epidemic in America was not helped when 130 KG girls were told "you're beautiful". Likewise, if the Tigers are surrounded by soft excuses like "we're young" etc etc, then they will continue to be the "potential" club that stays 8th-9th (in effect) for many years to come.

This is the problem - and it's a big issue for Tigerland. The "young team" stuff is the base excuse for failure. I feel like Richmond have been developing their youth policy for over 10 years. When do the results come?

9th year after year? It's because they're young. Lose a final? it's because they're young. Take the average age of most teams - and there is usually about 12 months difference only. It's bullshite.

My feeling is that Richmond have huge support - so there are many people wanting them to do well. But I reckon they have many players whose abilities are massively inflated beyond reality. Yet, there is talk that this team is on track for a flag in the next few years!

The obesity epidemic in America was not helped when 130 KG girls were told "you're beautiful". Likewise, if the Tigers are surrounded by soft excuses like "we're young" etc etc, then they will continue to be the "potential" club that stays 8th-9th (in effect) for many years to come.

My feeling is you have no clue.

Hardwick is in his 4th year and took us to finals after being called one of the worst sides ever in his first year. We won 15 games and our average age is still very young ecspecially regarding the core group.

Anyone with a brain realises Wallace took a youth/rebuild policy and failed miserably so of course we have been rebuilding for 10 years.

It's not like they are saying internally "we are young so stiff today but we will be better for it". But people from the outside can clearly see it's the likes of Cotchin, Martin, Ellis, Riewoldt, Vickery, Rance, Morris, Vlaustin, Conca ect who are going to take us forward and they are all under 25 and most closer to 21.

reading this - i see many Richmond supporters saying they didnt play well...

i thought they were well on top at half time, playing good footy, 5 goals up....i dont think you can say they didnt play well...the fact is, they crumbled when Carlton stepped up the pressure

there was so much pressure put on them by their own supporters and the media...so much expectation...

there is a lesson here for the Tigers, lets see if they can learn from it

reading this - i see many Richmond supporters saying they didnt play well...

i thought they were well on top at half time, playing good footy, 5 goals up....i dont think you can say they didnt play well...the fact is, they crumbled when Carlton stepped up the pressure

there was so much pressure put on them by their own supporters and the media...so much expectation...

there is a lesson here for the Tigers, lets see if they can learn from it

Agree in part. I think we ran too hard in the first half; lost our composure in the face of a monster crowd. A number of players chased for a hundred metres in the second quarter without ever being likely to influence the ball carrier. Also didn't finish cleanly, often enough. A 6- or 7-goal lead might've got the job done.

It's happened against other sides - St.Kilda R2, Adelaide R12, Brisbane R20 - dominated the game before allowing the opposition to get within striking distance in the last quarter, but in those games we got the points and the plaudits.

Certainly our structures came undone after half time, but I suspect it was due as much to tiredness & injury as nerves, plus the proven (against us) Carlton gameplan and their players having belief. Perhaps there were mistakes at selection, risks taken which backfired. Whatever the case, I trust the current Richmond to examine the issues honestly and take the necessary steps to improve in 2014.

Well making it to 5th this season is a result. Rarely do teams that make the 8 for the first time after a long period and go on and win the flag, or even win finals. Sometimes it's a progression. No doubt the tiges have things they still need to work on but it's not all the doom and gloom that you'd have us believe. Get a grip.

Well making it to 5th this season is a result. Rarely do teams that make the 8 for the first time after a long period and go on and win the flag, or even win finals. Sometimes it's a progression. No doubt the tiges have things they still need to work on but it's not all the doom and gloom that you'd have us believe. Get a grip.
Richmond actually finished the 2013 afl season in 7th spot not 5th It is taken at the end of the season not the end of the home and away season.;)

Richmond still have a relatively young midfield even your ex Coach Paul Roos said that Monday night
and while i think we should have won Sunday we just didnt play good enough in the second half plain and simple, the pressure got much for them IMO but hopefully they learn from it , if they don't then it is a concern.
We still have a ways to go but make no doubt we are improving each year since Hardwick took over.
Just on a side note you stated we get Ninth year after year ? we have got Ninth 3 times in the last 10 years and at no time back to back so i don't think that constitutes year after year.

I think the worrying thing and has been the same all year is we let teams back into the game when getting into a winning position, bit like the Roos have done this year to with certain matches.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back