Will the Giants land a big fish in 2014/15?

Will the Giants land a big free agent in 2014/15?

• Yes!

Votes: 8 33.3%
  • No, they have enough talent.

Votes: 16 66.7%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Brought up rance last trade period but I can't see rance himself wanting to move here. He will move to another Vic club or wa before he even thinks about joining us
Money talks. You think Mitch Clark really wanted to go to the Demons at the end of 2011? Highly doubtful. He got a huge offer and changed his mind about going home to Perth.

Don't forget at the time that everyone was predicting Melbourne to become a powerhouse.

I'm all for obtaining some big names but I'd rather the cash to be spent on the lesser lights of shiel, treloar, Kennedy, Cameron, coniglio, smith, Haynes, Tomlinson, etc

Don't forget at the time that everyone was predicting Melbourne to become a powerhouse.

I'm all for obtaining some big names but I'd rather the cash to be spent on the lesser lights of shiel, treloar, Kennedy, Cameron, coniglio, smith, Haynes, Tomlinson, etc

I don't know about powerhouse but I can see what you mean. I'm sure no one at that point thought they would still be second last in 2014 and a realistic chance for another spoon.

It's a bit of a balancing act when it comes to list management. Retaining young talent is great but that is going to cost you in the mid to long term as they will all peak around the same time and you won't be able to afford them all. My personal opinion is that the Giants should try to hang on to 6-8 of the really good ones from the '11 draft class (or younger) and use the remaining pieces to acquire mature players to fill holes over the ground. That way you open your premiership window quicker and you still have the core from the '11 draft class or younger. It will also mean the mature players will start to decline as the '11 draft class or younger players begin to peak so that's easier to manage cap wise.

Free agency has also completely changed the landscape when it comes to stockpiling picks. Look at what has happened to Melbourne with James Frawley this year. They are almost definitely going to lose Frawley and their list starts to go backwards after spending many years rebuilding. Likewise, GWS will need to be really mindful of free agency and that a lot of their really good players might become free agents at the same time. Just another reason to try and spread the age of the list by acquiring mature players and replacing guys from the '11 draft class with new draft picks.

Don't need a big fish. Would be up for a couple of 26-28yo foot soldiers, guys that have played 100 games maybe but haven't cemented themselves and want a better opportunity. Personality is very important for any player coming into this group, Shaw has fitted straight in, so it has to be guys that get along easily with the younger guys but are good trainers and have a good workrate on field.

I prefer the idea of tried and true top ups to step in for the younger guys as required and help out with develop in NEAFL and training. Say if Hunt pursues a NFL Punting career next, then we should take a serious look at Malcheski. Still plying good footy at AFL level and wants to play on. Would be good to have around, even for blokes like Patton who are walking the path he has been.

I wouldn't be against getting Rance for a reasonable price but I think the focus needs to be retention of the talented players we already have.

It is possible to keep a talented group together, paying slightly under market value, if you reinforce the team mentality and what they can achieve if they stick together. I see lots of signs this is exactly what is occurring and bringing in a big money free agent could increase the likelihood current players will lose the team comradery.

The time for heavy recruitment has come and gone.

Retention is the focus now and we have the players that we need already. They just need more development.
BOY OH BOY. How wrong we can be sometimes. Patfull and Griffen as well as a few high draft picks. I'd imagine the Giants will now chase pick 1 from St Kilda with those picks.

So, is Griffen a big fish? I think it's fair to say he's the biggest name to ever sign for the club but I'm not sure if he fits the bill of "big fish".

(Log in to remove this ad.)

he fills a short term need. you might get a lower draft pick as well. I can see you making the 8 if you get him next year! I would say you were certainties if Patton didnt do his knee

Ha Ha, GWS don't won't to make the 8, they want to win a premiership!!!!

Nice try though!!

Guess what GWS really want?

They want guns that will be shoulder to shoulder with them pulling their own weight with the team to win a premiership on GF day!!!

But Ryder is not worth near that?

pick 6 or 7 sounds about right for ryder imo, he was the best ruck/fwd in the comp last year, and he is still only 26. he and mumford would compliment each other perfectly, mumford plays the gorilla role and wears the other ruckmen down at the start of each quarter and then paddy has the athleticism to jump over them later in the quarter.

pick 6 or 7 sounds about right for ryder imo, he was the best ruck/fwd in the comp last year, and he is still only 26. he and mumford would compliment each other perfectly, mumford plays the gorilla role and wears the other ruckmen down at the start of each quarter and then paddy has the athleticism to jump over them later in the quarter.

There is not one ruckman in the game worth picks 6 and 7.

Cox in his absolute prime and still young could only justify picks 6 and 7 in this draft!

IMO Ryder doesn't have the physical presence to command such picks. Ryder put simply is not a complete ruck but a handy hybrid who can play a role. IMO Role players can't command pick 6 or 7 unless match winners which unfortunately I do not believe Ryder is.

We got Griffen ranked 5 on AFL ratings. That's not a big fish that's a whale the dogs are still paying for. Plus pick 6.
OMG. We're set. Plus Patfull is going to star for us and win games single handedly by shutting a KPF down.
Finals this year

There is not one ruckman in the game worth picks 6 and 7.

Cox in his absolute prime and still young could only justify picks 6 and 7 in this draft!

IMO Ryder doesn't have the physical presence to command such picks. Ryder put simply is not a complete ruck but a handy hybrid who can play a role. IMO Role players can't command pick 6 or 7 unless match winners which unfortunately I do not believe Ryder is.

Read it again mate. There is a big difference between asking for 6 and 7, compared to 6 or 7

Would the Giants do a trade of Giles + 6 for Ryder + 20? They could then use picks 4 + 7 to get pick 1 from the Saints. That would leave the Giants with Ryder, 1 and 20. Anyone think this is on the cards today?

Back