Remove this Banner Ad

Purrfect Pussies

Premiership Player
Mar 28, 2008
AFL Club
Geelong
Onto the next one...

Bit happening behind the scenes.

Walder back to the Eagles. Was rumors on WL Grand Final day that the Rats had already told him he wasn't required.

Giants & JR in talks. Stay in the Wimmera League?

Pekin back to the Demons?

Last edited:
My understanding is that if SMG and JR merge (and good on them for being proactive if they do), then they would be going Wimmera League.

It's going to be a very busy month locally for both leagues I think.

What happened at Rats?? Premiership coach out the door within weeks of a gf to a rival club? Stinks a bit?

Horsham are all in recruting wise. None to happy with making up the numbers.

Interested to see how Southern Mallee Storm will split home games between the four home grounds, if they indeed decide to play at all of them

Orange and green do not go well together, so expect a brand new guernsey design as well.

looks like Dimmy have picked up a couple of handy ones - Andrew Moore - ex-Richmond/Port/Box Hill for one

Local paper says that the merged club will either be the Southern Mallee Power or Southern Mallee Thunder, with either navy and white or teal black and white colours.

2024 fixture is out - the first in the state.

2024 fixture is out - the first in the state.

That has to be the earliest country footy fixture release ever!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

How many clubs has this new team swallowed up now?
Ouyen rovers and tempy-gorya-patchewollock made ouyen united. Who merged with belueh blues to make the southern Mallee giants, who merged with jeparit rainbow who were once seperate. 10 clubs so far. Only interested as my grandpa won flags and bnfs with patche back when they were on their own.

Only six clubs as far as I know.

Hopetoun-Beulah = SM Giants
Jeparit-Rainbow = JR Storm

SM Giants + JR Storm = SM Thunder

Not sure if Yaapeet come into the mix at all.

Ouyen United Kangas (a merger of Ouyen United Demons & Walpeup-Underbool Kangaroos) are still in the Sunraysia league and they comprise something like 30 clubs to be what they are now, including TGP.

Last edited:

Ouyen United Kangas (a merger of Ouyen United Demons & Walpeup-Underbool Kangaroos) are still in the Sunraysia league and they comprise something like 30 clubs to be what they are now, including TGP.
It's obviously good in a way that clubs can merge and remain alive in a sense, even though alot of history is lost when it's more than a couple of clubs combined. But I'm also thinking that either way they're going to lose a full clubs worth of people as not everyone can get a game now (not including age levels that couldn't form a team) do clubs always end up better off merging and would it have been in one of the clubs interests to just survive on there own, keep their identity, history and just absorb the left overs of the club that folds? Sounds very negative but I guess just thinking from a different perspective

Yaapeet were given option to merge with J-R or Hopetoun and effectively took too long to decide and folded. Majority of players went to Hopetoun.

Some very tough boys playing at Yaapeet back in the day!

How many clubs has this new team swallowed up now?
Ouyen rovers and tempy-gorya-patchewollock made ouyen united. Who merged with belueh blues to make the southern Mallee giants, who merged with jeparit rainbow who were once seperate. 10 clubs so far. Only interested as my grandpa won flags and bnfs with patche back when they were on their own.
Hopetoun and Beulah merged 2015 and became Giants through Jack Burdett relationship with Sheedy who provided the gear.

I played against TGP in practice match at Patchy on bindi eyes and sheep s**t!
Also played against Walpeup, Ouyen and Manang in 97 when Jeparit Rainbow merged and beat us (Beulah) in GF by 10 goals!

Whats you grandpas surname

Onto the next one...

Bit happening behind the scenes.

Walder back to the Eagles. Was rumors on WL Grand Final day that the Rats had already told him he wasn't required.

Giants & JR in talks. Stay in the Wimmera League?

Pekin back to the Demons?
Why doesnt Harrow Balmoral go into Wimmera? Time for WFL & HDFL bosses to merge towns and have relegation promotion.

Why doesnt Harrow Balmoral go into Wimmera? Time for WFL & HDFL bosses to merge towns and have relegation promotion.
how would that work, would it be based on Football, netball junior teams. As an example HB strong in footy but A grade netball could not compete against the strong district sides so would really struggle in wimmera. cant see how a relegation system would ever work.

how would that work, would it be based on Football, netball junior teams. As an example HB strong in footy but A grade netball could not compete against the strong district sides so would really struggle in wimmera. cant see how a relegation system would ever work.
Agree, Clubs are much bigger than the Senior Football teams. Why mergers aren't simple also. Taylors Lake & Laharum for example, how would you accommodate combining the netball teams?

Looks like it could be a very interesting year next year. Quite a few teams look busy with recruiting.

Warrack look to have done well, as have demons and warriors.

MM picked up McIntyre’s but not sure on anyone else?

Nhill have their coach but not sure what else?

Saints quiet?

Bit of an exodus from Ararat.

Much news on thunder with there retainment from the two clubs?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back