Wimmera League 2024

Remove this Banner Ad

Should be a really competitive league in 2024 which is fantastic for the competition.

Warrack - should really improve with Walder at the helm and a strong recruiting off season and probably likely to bring in a couple more after xmas.

Horsham - Will look to bounce back strongly as well successful recruiting and a fully fit list should bring them back into finals contention

Ararat - have love a few fringe line players to Ararat Eagles & Moyston but definitely have the quality still to go back to back still the team to beat in my eyes.

Stawell - Successful recruiting definitely has helped shape season 2024 still need to plug a few holes in there list but all positive signs early.

Haven’t heard much at all about the remaining sides but it’s shaping up to be a fantastic season.

Should be a really competitive league in 2024 which is fantastic for the competition.

Warrack - should really improve with Walder at the helm and a strong recruiting off season and probably likely to bring in a couple more after xmas.

Horsham - Will look to bounce back strongly as well successful recruiting and a fully fit list should bring them back into finals contention

Ararat - have love a few fringe line players to Ararat Eagles & Moyston but definitely have the quality still to go back to back still the team to beat in my eyes.

Stawell - Successful recruiting definitely has helped shape season 2024 still need to plug a few holes in there list but all positive signs early.

Haven’t heard much at all about the remaining sides but it’s shaping up to be a fantastic season.
Who have the Eagles, Demons and Warriors recruited, I am not up with the news. Thanks in Advance!!!

How many clubs has this new team swallowed up now?
Ouyen rovers and tempy-gorya-patchewollock made ouyen united. Who merged with belueh blues to make the southern Mallee giants, who merged with jeparit rainbow who were once seperate. 10 clubs so far. Only interested as my grandpa won flags and bnfs with patche back when they were on their own.

Ouyen united never merged with Hopetoun Beulah. Ouyen united merged with walpeup underbool to form the Ouyen united Kangas where they now play in Sunraysia football league. Beulah Hopetoun merged to form the Southern mallee giants. Now southern mallee giants have merged with jeparit rainbow to form The Southern mallee Thunder where they will play Wimmera league

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Ouyen united never merged with Hopetoun Beulah. Ouyen united merged with walpeup underbool to form the Ouyen united Kangas where they now play in Sunraysia football league. Beulah Hopetoun merged to form the Southern mallee giants. Now southern mallee giants have merged with jeparit rainbow to form The Southern mallee Thunder where they will play Wimmera league

Yep I got my mergers mixed up. But it is still alot of teams merged into one out of necessity of course. Associated clubs:

1965 - Gorya and Tempy merge to form Tempy-Gorya
1971 - Tempy-Gorya and Patchewollock merge to form TGP
1982 - Kiamal and Tiega merge to form Ouyen Rovers
1982- Walpeup and Underbool merge to form Walpeup-Underbool
1997 - Ouyen Rovers and TPG merge to form Ouyen United
2015 - Ouyen United and Walpeup-Underbool merge to form Ouyen United Kangas

14 seperate footy clubs if you count them all individually and as a merged team
(as in 1-Gorya, 2-Tempy, 3- Tempy-Gorya, 4-Patche, 5-TGP etc) craziness

Warriors have signed former St Mary’s premiership captain Jacob Welsh for season 2024. Absolute jet should be just about the best player in the league.

Thunder
Ararat
Demons
Stawell
Minyip
Dimmy
Saint
Warrack
Nhill
Stawell & Horsham have picked up a few for you to have them 3rd & 4th? Horsham (especially) were a ways off the pace last year if I recall.

I thought I'd heard that Dimboola have assembled a decent side again.

Thunder all depends on how everyone gets along ;) In theory they should be right amongst it and would be great to see them get over the line.

Stawell & Horsham have picked up a few for you to have them 3rd & 4th? Horsham (especially) were a ways off the pace last year if I recall.

Thunder all depends on how everyone gets along ;) In theory they should be right amongst it and would be great to see them get over the line.

Should be a really competitive year.
Nhill will miss Fraser Driscoll but having McQueen for the year will definitely help.

Saints drop from Third to 7th, and horsham go from 8th to third, you must know something that others dont

Saints drop from Third to 7th, and horsham go from 8th to third, you must know something that others dont
I know nothing! chimp2022 has the inside word perhaps :) Saints loved being written off last year. It gave them a fire in the belly. I agree with Fatboy, it should be a really competitive year. Could be lots happening on both ends of the ladder.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Only going what I have heard around the grapevines and following socials. Horsham will bounce back with a fully fit and healthy list, 3-4 solid recruits including a former Toohey medal winner. Jordy Bourke is a good coach with plenty of experience with success.

Personally think saints slide only because other teams improve. Heard they haven’t recruited apart from Koenig.

Stawell needed to and have recruited 6-7 players including a gun I have watched play a lot of football in Jacob Welsh. Add two Driscolls into the forward line and a former league best and fairest into the ruck i can’t see how they don’t push up the ladder but time will tell.

Thunder
Ararat
Demons
Stawell
Minyip
Dimmy
Saint
Warrack
Nhill

Ararat (well ahead of the others) although the new merged entity will do well. It will take some time for them to gel as a club. Stawell and Minyip will be thereabouts and the big improver will be Dimboola. Things are looking good there. Think the Horsham based teams may be middle to lower positions on the ladder in 2024.

Only going what I have heard around the grapevines and following socials. Horsham will bounce back with a fully fit and healthy list, 3-4 solid recruits including a former Toohey medal winner. Jordy Bourke is a good coach with plenty of experience with success.

Personally think saints slide only because other teams improve. Heard they haven’t recruited apart from Koenig.

Stawell needed to and have recruited 6-7 players including a gun I have watched play a lot of football in Jacob Welsh. Add two Driscolls into the forward line and a former league best and fairest into the ruck i can’t see how they don’t push up the ladder but time will tell.
Demons won 2 games last year with a % of 58. burke is a good coach but the 3 or 4 recruits you talk about would want to be better than solid if they are going to contend

Ararat (well ahead of the others) although the new merged entity will do well. It will take some time for them to gel as a club. Stawell and Minyip will be thereabouts and the big improver will be Dimboola. Things are looking good there. Think the Horsham based teams may be middle to lower positions on the ladder in 2024.

Dimboola wouldn’t want many injury’s. With there full side out there they will be top three but they don’t have much depth. And apparently there good recruits are only playing 6-8 games and finals.

Exactly right about Dimboola 0 depth. I’m just not sure how you can build any culture or camaraderie when your side changes so much from week to week but that’s only my opinion about having fly in fly out players.

Exactly right about Dimboola 0 depth. I’m just not sure how you can build any culture or camaraderie when your side changes so much from week to week but that’s only my opinion about having fly in fly out players.
What’s the alternative? Its what sadly JR & Giants have had to do for the last 5 years.

Mergers will need to happen in 2024/25 but if you are a club like Dimboola I think having the smallest population of the last stand alone club in WImmera leauge. Opportunities would
Be hard

There's only two clubs in the WFNL that aren't either merged identities or based in a large rural centre, which can make numbers across both football and netball a challenge.

Thunder
Ararat
Stawell
Minyip
Saints
Horsham
Dimboola
Nhill
Warrack
I'd have MM over Stawell and Dimmy at least 1 or possibly 2 spots higher :think:. I'm expecting it to be really even this year. Even at the bottom end, Nhill showed a lot of improvement last year and Warrack have a premiership coach!

Remove this Banner Ad

Back