Winners of Clubs B&Fs

Remove this Banner Ad

With respect to previous postings, can I please bring this thread back onto a more relevant keel?

From my researchings, the C section B&F winners thus far have been:

Ormond - Simon Keleher
Parkdale Vultures - Paul Sullivan
Hampton Rovers - Gary Carr
Old Camberwell - David Loats
Fitzroy Reds - Chris Meighen
AJAX - Jason Rittermann (?)
Old Paradians - Adam Curran
NOBSPC - Tim Brady
STBMT - TBA
Monash Blues - TBA

Congratulations to all of the above, and we're looking forward to filling out the list in the near future.

Oh and Brooksy - I made no secret of my first and foremost commitments every Saturday afternoon, which is my own club. The VAFA asked me to write for C section and I happily accepted - I enjoyed every aspect of it. Well, up to about 48 hours after the GF when you guys decided winning a GF wasn't enough.

Thank goodness for Dale Collins feeding me STBMT information every week - got loads of time for him, and the more Dale Collins-types you guys can attract, the better. Take a leaf out of his book.

Brooksy01 said:
Fanatastic effort Scribe to write a load of rubbish week in and week out including the literacy delight that was the grand final report after seeing 4 games for the whole year(not the gf). Does a lot for your credibility and your opinions you express on this forum.
Bring back the brain

Are you putting your hand up to contribute some unpaid work?

Scribe said:
With respect to previous postings, can I please bring this thread back onto a more relevant keel?

From my researchings, the C section B&F winners thus far have been:

Ormond - Simon Keleher
Parkdale Vultures - Paul Sullivan
Hampton Rovers - Gary Carr
Old Camberwell - David Loats
Fitzroy Reds - Chris Meighen
AJAX - Jason Rittermann (?)
Old Paradians - Adam Curran
NOBSPC - Tim Brady
STBMT - TBA
Monash Blues - TBA

Congratulations to all of the above, and we're looking forward to filling out the list in the near future.

Oh and Brooksy - I made no secret of my first and foremost commitments every Saturday afternoon, which is my own club. The VAFA asked me to write for C section and I happily accepted - I enjoyed every aspect of it. Well, up to about 48 hours after the GF when you guys decided winning a GF wasn't enough.

Thank goodness for Dale Collins feeding me STBMT information every week - got loads of time for him, and the more Dale Collins-types you guys can attract, the better. Take a leaf out of his book.

Ari Lewski won the Ajax b&f

Scribe said:
There's a big gulf between C and A grade, and I'm sure those in the inner sanctum of STBMT would acknowledge they have a fair way to go before they could seriously challenge in the top section.

I'm figuring the STBMT posters here are surely not members of the senior 22 who won the flag - otherwise they'd be satisfied with their (and their club's) achievements and wouldn't be wasting their time posting about it for weeks' after the fact. I'd expect the posters here are probably affiliated with the junior sides and are simply avoiding studying for their school exams.

Seriously though, STBMT did what they needed to do after being relegated in 2005. They won 3 premierships and will return to B grade in a very good position to stay up, and possibly push for finals.

That's what they (and their supporters) should be focusing on now.

got it in one...but mine are uni exams, procastinating at its best

Concrete boots said:
Give it a rest will you?

For heavens' sake, the guys over 30 and most blokes his age still playing A grade senior footy were either state players or club champions. I think Scribe would accept he was neither - wouldn't you Scribe?

You guys seem very keen to take pot shots at someone who has the knackers to front up about his role in the VAFA and have an opinion.

Who the ***** are you sImpLy f0oTy? :thumbsdown:

Could not agree more with you mate. Scribe's reviews and previews were well put together and interesting. The manner in which he carried himself on the C Grade board was equally as impressive.

For someone, who is not affiliated with a team in C Grade, to take the time to do that work week in, week out is a big effort.

So why don't you just let up on him Brooksy? Obviously the VAFA aren't going to ask you to contribute to anything like that given the uneducated drivel that comes from your mouth. It's bad enough that you're even allowed to post on boards like this one.

Brooksy01 said:
Fanatastic effort Scribe to write a load of rubbish week in and week out including the literacy delight that was the grand final report after seeing 4 games for the whole year(not the gf). Does a lot for your credibility and your opinions you express on this forum.
Bring back the brain

What is a "literacy delight" "Brooksy"?

Would love to know...

Scribe said:
Saw 4 C section games this year, and obviously many A grade ones. I also spoke to plenty of people involved in 2006 C section footy who are still able to compare the state of their club as an A grade standard versus where they are now (e.g. NOBSPC, Ormond, Paradians).

My comments are also based on past history of clubs moving from C Grade to B to A and only Collegians and Mazenod in the past 15 years have managed it and the Nodders stayed up for a year or two, whilst the Lions went back down.

My opinion (and that's all it is, just the same as others) is that a side which wins a C section flag would need to have probably another 10 players filtered into their top 30 - thereby pushing out the current guys ranked 21 - 30, in order to have the depth to challenge in A Grade. STBMT probably have plenty of players who could cut it, it's the guys from number 15 through to 30 who would have to improve.

Just an opinion, though, and I'm sure people will be happy to stand me corrected if they wish. :D

Scribe, please research a little more before you post on this forum, I think you will find Marcellin and SKOB both went through the grades at a rapid pace. SKOB 96 C Premiers, 5th A Section in 98. 4 Games is a poor return, but 4 more than Luke Mahoney when he was the Crunch Grade Scribe!!!
Brain is a buffoon and should be banned from the VAFA...

bob down said:
Scribe, please research a little more before you post on this forum, I think you will find Marcellin and SKOB both went through the grades at a rapid pace. SKOB 96 C Premiers, 5th A Section in 98. 4 Games is a poor return, but 4 more than Luke Mahoney when he was the Crunch Grade Scribe!!!
Brain is a buffoon and should be banned from the VAFA...

Bob,

Another to add to the list

The Poo Browns, were in D in 1994, C 1995, B 1996, A 1999, and finalists in that year,being their 1st ever year in A Grade.

Have been a little like OT's (up and down).

Bring on 2007.

Max Leader said:
Bob,

Another to add to the list

The Poo Browns, were in D in 1994, C 1995, B 1996, A 1999, and finalists in that year,being their 1st ever year in A Grade.

Have been a little like OT's (up and down).

Bring on 2007.

And another:

Ajax was in E-grade in 1975 and A-grade in 1980

Turbs23 said:
yerp... now apparently loving life in D3.

although i'm sure they are hoping that 07 will bring some success with the installment of a new coach...

I think you mean B-grade

I'm guessing where you live they haven't discovered the concept of "news" yet?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

quick reply there scrota.
yeh, my bad... that's what happens when you don't read posts properly.
thanks for the feedback. might go and attempt to read the paper although where i live we still write on cave walls.

Luke Mahoney has won back to back B&Fs at SKOB, on top of his three runner ups. Great effort by the great man.

Evening all,

Have just jumped on for the first time in a few weeks and read the last few pages. To all the St Bedes people on this forum, you are fast becoming B grades replacement for Ivanhoe. You blokes are all more interested in other people thinking you're a 'powerhouse' than actually producing results. A 'powerhouse' of the VAFA is surely a club that is a genuine threat to the A grade flag over a prolonged period of time. Come back in 5 or 10 years time when/if you get to A grade, and when/if you then win a flag or play finals consistently.

All this crap about what a great game the C grade grand final was is irrelevant. My brother played in a very exciting Under 14's grand final this year but that doesn't mean 10 of those players will be drafted in a few years. Seriously get over it we're in the middle of a much more exciting spring carnival.

If we were to describe SBMT as a 'powerhouse', how do we describe Xavs?

Seeing as this thread has moved completely off the topic of B&F's, anyone got any thoughts on the Cup?

....My comments are also based on past history of clubs moving from C Grade to B to A and only Collegians and Mazenod in the past 15 years have managed it and the Nodders stayed up for a year or two, whilst the Lions went back down.

My opinion (and that's all it is, just the same as others) is that a side which wins a C section flag would need to have probably another 10 players filtered into their top 30 - thereby pushing out the current guys ranked 21 - 30, in order to have the depth to challenge in A Grade. STBMT probably have plenty of players who could cut it, it's the guys from number 15 through to 30 who would have to improve.

Just an opinion, though, and I'm sure people will be happy to stand me corrected if they wish. :D

Just a tick over 15 years ago now, 17 years to be exact, Old Haileybury won the '89 C Section flag by 14+ goals and followed up in '90 by winning the B Section flag by 22+ goals. There wasn't much of a turn over of players in those two premierships (I would guess more like half a dozen regular senior players) and the club played A Section finals with the same nucleus of players in '92. So it can be done in a short period but it's almost impossible to maintain the momentum for too long. However with perseverance* a club can build on its successes in the lower grades to some day "challenge" the traditional powerhouse clubs.

*OH went down to B Section a couple of years later ('95), bounced straight back up and played A Section finals in '97. Relegated again a few years later, two years ('01, '02) in B Section before playing in preliminary finals in A Section in '03 and '05. Won A Section 2006.:D

Remove this Banner Ad

Back