Review Women's Collingwood v Carlton

Remove this Banner Ad

Where are all those posters who said there would be no interest in women's footy?
They were adamant no one would turn up and it would die
They were also adamant it would cost our club huge $ to keep afloat

Surely these arse clowns are sick of getting everything wrong

BigFooty....funny place

I think the two blondes, Darcy and not sure of the others name were pretty good also.
The younger girls on both teams seemed to be of a higher skill bracket. I think if they league sticks with it in a couple of years it may become a good spectacle and younger skilled players come in. Several players seem to be in their 30's atm

Well I was looking forward to going next week at the holden ctr to cheer on the girls but there is no way im going now now that it looks like it will be at filth park.

Last night was such an amazing moment for women. Forgetting the football for a second, I work at a High School in the ACT and the fact that I had teenage girls talking about the game makes the result almost superfluous.

But as some posters have noted, how long can the game ride the positivity of AFLW before the 'cracks' begin to show remains to be seen. Are we entertained by the novelty or the spectacle? A friend noted that one of the pitfalls of women's sport is the inevitable comparison that is made with the male equivalent. As is already demonstrated here, we're being (unfairly, imo) quite critical of the standard of the game. Compared to what exactly? Nonetheless, one of the things we discussed was whether the AFL had made the AFLW distinguishable from AFL? Because if AFLW is its own brand that is unique to them, whilst remaining under the sport of Australian Rules, then it is more likely to succeed.

Having said that... f***, I hate Carlton.

Wait until the real stuff starts and crowds don't bother turning up then it won't even get a mention. Personally have no interest and don't feel any connection with Collingwood. Prefer they would've started their own teams like T20.

There is a connection with Collingwood - no other side leaves their key forward isolated in the forward line surrounded by 3 defenders. Mo Hope is the new Cloke.

There is a connection with Collingwood - no other side leaves their key forward isolated in the forward line surrounded by 3 defenders. Mo Hope is the new Cloke.
Was thinking that last night.

When do we sack Buckley because of that performance :p

By the way, did we win?

Ok, I will see myself out....

They have a crack I guess and good on them for that.

It was very poorly skilled though for the most part. It was pretty much like watching a game of boys under 14 local league.

I'm happy for them but I predict the novelty of it all will wear off. It's a bit hard to watch.

They have a crack I guess and good on them for that.

It was very poorly skilled though for the most part. It was pretty much like watching a game of boys under 14 local league.

I'm happy for them but I predict the novelty of it all will wear off. It's a bit hard to watch.

I was surprised that even with 2 less per team, it was still really congested. Not sure if this is just because we had a crap structure though.

Would be good to see the field opened up...but i think a big problem is that we only really have 2 players who can actually kick the ball more than 20-30 metres. It just means that there is no one who can clear the area. Its more about just scrounging the ball forward which is why everyone is on the ball.

Early days but i think our side is really going to struggle. Cant fault the endeavour though.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The Blues looked fitter, but that may be an impression brought on by their cleaner play and better adherence to structures. When you're on top, like they were, you tend to find another yard.

Individually, I cant say our girls looked less fit. They kept going hard. While the quarters were short, it was a warm night, and that would have an impact too.

For me, its too early to make an assessment of our fitness. I think we need some more games before making that call.

It did surprise me that King wasn't rucking much in the second half. I got the impression she really blew up.

I unfortunately could only see snippets last night, but what was the game plan like?

Was it more of a simple traditional type game plan with players playing in set positions, or was it more the modern day push numbers into the defensive half?

I unfortunately could only see snippets last night, but what was the game plan like?

Was it more of a simple traditional type game plan with players playing in set positions, or was it more the modern day push numbers into the defensive half?

Carlton were allow to throw extra numbers into their defensive zone without us doing anything about it, but those same Carlton players did a good job of pushing into the middle of the ground to help out.

Without being too harsh, I don't think that our loose players pushed as hard. They didn't help Hope in the forward line, they rarely worked into defence, and instead they seemed happy to occupy the territory between the arcs. If it was the plan, it wasn't a good one.

Carlton played like Hawthorn. No big surprise considering the Blues have imported that structure throughout the whole club.
We played like the Male Collingwood of the past three years. Slow, unskilled and no forward entry plan.

The skills were hard to watch, but it's still better, by a fair margin, than the a-League.

The poor skills can actually lead to some exciting moments, but the lack of goal scoring is quite concerning when trying to appeal to the average fan.

The game had a lot of novelty and excitement but once that wears off no one is going to be entertained by a 1-2 goal game (generally speaking)
Maybe the crowds won't be as big but neither were they for GC or GWS when they first started and players were full time professionals and raised plying football.
Not too concerned about it as once it is introduced in schools, more surburban areas, it will grow.
Just hoping that we will be more competitive in the future.

With this post TD, you have nailed it.:thumbsu:

It is the big, or bigger, thing.

But we do want results too, and soon this season!

Espically when they want More People Coming to the Games and Keep getting the Same Fans to the Games

To be brutally frank i dont think we can really have a game plan when most of our players are unable to kick, mark or handball with any consistency.

I think we put a lot of numbers on the ball to try and restrict carltons advantage when it came to strength and skill, but that in turn meant we could barely score.

The girls do have a lot of spirit and their tackling kept us in it. I thought the game was even through most parts, but carlton just had the more skilled players all over the field to capitalise on their chances.

But its going to be very hard to implement a game plan when the girls really arent at a level to execute. Id say our best option is to make it scrappy and just try and score through sheer will.

Maybe implement a pagans paddock type plan and hope to get some over the back.

Id also be utilising meg hutchins more because she is a lovely kick. I thought she was great.

I think the two blondes, Darcy and not sure of the others name were pretty good also.
The younger girls on both teams seemed to be of a higher skill bracket. I think if they league sticks with it in a couple of years it may become a good spectacle and younger skilled players come in. Several players seem to be in their 30's atm

There where quite a Few in there 30's and Some Nearly 40

I think that the women's comp is more than a 'novelty' (a slightly disparaging term), but I think it's fair to suggest that most games and most weeks won't generate anywhere near the same amount of support. What last night showed me was that the base of ongoing and serious support is definitely there, but it will take some time for that to be tapped into.

It doesn't serve anyone's interest to pretend that last night's game was as good a footy spectacle as any other. It wasn't, and it won't be for some time. The skill level of the best players (a small elite) is out of all proportion to the majority. But having a professional pathway is what will make this better. Junior players now have a reason to keep playing the game, rather than drifting off to netball, basketball, athletics, or soccer, and they now have an incentive to more seriously dedicate themselves to the game. These junior players seemed to make up a sizeable percentage of the crowd last night, and I have no doubt that they were seriously inspired by what they were watching even if a lot of other AFL fans weren't.

How was the sleep fellas;)?

Jokes aside, I want to thank Collingwood for making last night possible, we would never have got a lock out without all the magpie fans that turned up at Carlton last night and the AFLW would never operate properly without all Collingwood Football Club, last night was the start of a new rivalry between the 2 teams. Even though we won, everyone won last night whether you were Carlton, Collingwood or anyone. Great night for AFLW footy. No better honor that playing against the biggest club in Collingwood.

BTW, there is a big thread running on the Carlton one about AFL games returning to Princes Park, thoughts from the op's on last night as PP?

I think that the women's comp is more than a 'novelty' (a slightly disparaging term), but I think it's fair to suggest that most games and most weeks won't generate anywhere near the same amount of support. What last night showed me was that the base of ongoing and serious support is definitely there, but it will take some time for that to be tapped into.

It doesn't serve anyone's interest to pretend that last night's game was as good a footy spectacle as any other. It wasn't, and it won't be for some time. The skill level of the best players (a small elite) is out of all proportion to the majority. But having a professional pathway is what will make this better. Junior players now have a reason to keep playing the game, rather than drifting off to netball, basketball, athletics, or soccer, and they now have an incentive to more seriously dedicate themselves to the game. These junior players seemed to make up a sizeable percentage of the crowd last night, and I have no doubt that they were seriously inspired by what they were watching even if a lot of other AFL fans weren't.

I agree wholeheartedly. Its a long term project. Its going to take maybe a decade for the young girls to start coming through and lifting the standard.

Its also going to take lots of investment from the AFL, but i hope they stick with it. They found it fit to pretty much subsidise 2 new mens teams for the last 5 years, and will probably do so for at least the next decade. So i hope they put the same level of investment into the AFLW.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back