Golf World Golf thread - Foreign and Domestic

Remove this Banner Ad

Great win by Bhatia, what turned out to be a electrifying finish and after displaying one of the best putting performances in PGA TOUR history, Denny Mccarthy unluckily hits his ball fat to put it in the creek, still a great effort. That putt from Bhatia in regulation on 18 after Denny posted 20 under par, to sink that 12 footer after having a six shot lead was as Hulk Hogan would say "intestinal fortitude" right there brother!

Can't complain, went from no chance, to a playoff, where anything can happen and funnily enough it did in more ways than one. Now on to IMHO the best golf tournament on the planet, The Masters at Augusta national, after what happened in this tournament what dramas are going to unfold there?

Great win by Bhatia, what turned out to be a electrifying finish and after displaying one of the best putting performances in PGA TOUR history, Denny Mccarthy unluckily hits his ball fat to put it in the creek, still a great effort. That putt from Bhatia in regulation on 18 after Denny posted 20 under par, to sink that 12 footer after having a six shot lead was as Hulk Hogan would say "intestinal fortitude" right there brother!

Can't complain, went from no chance, to a playoff, where anything can happen and funnily enough it did in more ways than one. Now on to IMHO the best golf tournament on the planet, The Masters at Augusta national, after what happened in this tournament what dramas are going to unfold there?
I have always thought IMHO is a bit of a paradox? I think labelling one's own opinion as "humble" automatically makes it "unhumble"?

That would have been a nice little earner for you on McCarthy. I was hoping he would get up just because he might not get that many chances.

In much bigger World golf news, the Best Swing in Golf made it 4 in a row. Over the 3 match play rounds, she only once made it to the 16th tee.

I have a feeling Hideki will get it done this week.

For any Masters nerds out there, this is the first of a 5 part series on the "Making of the Masters". Pretty interesting - if you are into the history of the course, broadcasting and tournament development.

I have always thought IMHO is a bit of a paradox? I think labelling one's own opinion as "humble" automatically makes it "unhumble"?

That would have been a nice little earner for you on McCarthy. I was hoping he would get up just because he might not get that many chances.

In much bigger World golf news, the Best Swing in Golf made it 4 in a row. Over the 3 match play rounds, she only once made it to the 16th tee.
Nelly is playing "Tigerish" style golf at the moment and it is so deserved, last year having problems with sickness and adverse reactions to treatment she is healthy again and playing magnificent golf, I wonder who the last golfer to win 4 tournaments in a row was? Of course it was the great man himself Tiger Woods who in 2006 won his last 7 starts, 6 official tournaments and the unofficial Target world challenge. To put things into prospective it is very hard to win on any of the main tours, to win back to back tournaments is very rare, 4 in a row, sensational!
Pete Evans Wow GIF by My Kitchen Rules

Nelly is playing "Tigerish" style golf at the moment and it is so deserved, last year having problems with sickness and adverse reactions to treatment she is healthy again and playing magnificent golf, I wonder who the last golfer to win 4 tournaments in a row was? Of course it was the great man himself Tiger Woods who in 2006 won his last 7 starts, 6 official tournaments and the unofficial Target world challenge. To put things into prospective it is very hard to win on any of the main tours, to win back to back tournaments is very rare, 4 in a row, sensational!
Pete Evans Wow GIF by My Kitchen Rules
Lorena Ochoa, 2008.

My social media feeds are heating up with the great Masters moments.

Nicklaus' shot on 15 in 1986 is simply incredible. One of the sweetest sounding iron strikes I have ever heard. Absolutely pumped.

Two words, "yes sir".

Two words, "yes sir".

That was his putt on 17 - with one of the stinkiest putters to win a major. 3 words, “maybe. Yes sir!”.

Although it was the 8 words a few minutes later that stick with me,

“Look out right side.”

“Look out right gallery”.

And thus the trauma began.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

That was his putt on 17 - with one of the stinkiest putters to win a major. 3 words, “maybe. Yes sir!”.

Although it was the 8 words a few minutes later that stick with me,

“Look out right side.”

“Look out right gallery”.

And thus the trauma began.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

I never got any enjoyment out of that..

My social media feeds are heating up with the great Masters moments.

Nicklaus' shot on 15 in 1986 is simply incredible. One of the sweetest sounding iron strikes I have ever heard. Absolutely pumped.

Watching old footage shows how much better golf was when they actually had to worry about getting pure contact with a small wood.

I have a feeling Hideki will get it done this week.
Been playing very well sideswipe and being a former winner knows the course so is one of the main chances. While there are a lot of chances, boy oh boy there are a hell of a lot that can't win for different reasons. Going to be interesting to see how the LIV boys go, especially in a real tournament and real pressure, some of these guys are going to struggle, I know he's Australian and loved but Cam Smith is an example, T14 in the Australian open in a very weak field and a 9 over rounds of 73 / 78 in the Australian PGA in an even weaker event, I think one or two of them will play well but that hard edge seems to be gone, I guess we'll find out Thursday night/Friday morning.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Was ok at the time because we all thought, "he will win plenty of these". Similar to Rory in 2011?

Edit: Greg's behaviour over the last few years has made his losses a bit easier to tolerate.

I like him, always have. Reckon he is an arrogant bloke but I also reckon he is copping a lot of unnecessary flak. He was always a believer in players being free agents and all he is done is stand behind what he believes is right.
That he has done it working for the Saudi's initially bothered me but the longer it went and the more that we found out that the PGA tour all be it indirectly is sponsored by the Saudi's and that the USA themselves are one of the Saudi's biggest customers the hypocricy started to do my head in.
Now 3 years later and prize pools on the tour have tripled, No cut events are now starting to occur, smaller fields are starting to occur and it all directly follows what Greg and LIV have introduced.
I don't believe Greg hates the PGA tour, thats a nice common line people love throwing out there but the reality is he believes in Golf having a global tour and if that upsets the Yanks and the tour then so be it.

They could do a hell of a lot worse than all getting together now, sacking Jay and putting Greg in charge of the Tour. Any commissioner that is there for his players has to always be the best option.

Anyway I know many of you disagree so i am rambling, he is my favourite ever sportsman, he put golf on the map here in Australia, won 91 times around the world. HOF player. Should of been a 10 time major winner but for some reason he couldn't close.
Sorry, I just like the guy and I am always a big fan to people standing up against monopoly's.

Been playing very well sideswipe and being a former winner knows the course so is one of the main chances. While there are a lot of chances, boy oh boy there are a hell of a lot that can't win for different reasons. Going to be interesting to see how the LIV boys go, especially in a real tournament and real pressure, some of these guys are going to struggle, I know he's Australian and loved but Cam Smith is an example, T14 in the Australian open in a very weak field and a 9 over rounds of 73 / 78 in the Australian PGA in an even weaker event, I think one or two of them will play well but that hard edge seems to be gone, I guess we'll find out Thursday night/Friday morning.
Backed him e/w at $30-1 after the TPC.

Outside of the Aussies, barracking for Rory for sentimental reasons. Brooks' major record means he can never be discounted. Leave out his injured year of 2022, his majors performances since 2017:
25 starts
5 wins
4 seconds
3 other top 5s
3 6-10th
10 others

Quite extraordinary

Yes be very interesting, I am expecting all the following to be very competitive. Koepka, Rahm, DJ, Sergio, Niemen. Hatton maybe?
Agree with you re Smith, his game is just off and has been for a while. But hope he goes well.

I am hoping DJ can get another jacket.

I like him, always have. Reckon he is an arrogant bloke but I also reckon he is copping a lot of unnecessary flak. He was always a believer in players being free agents and all he is done is stand behind what he believes is right.
That he has done it working for the Saudi's initially bothered me but the longer it went and the more that we found out that the PGA tour all be it indirectly is sponsored by the Saudi's and that the USA themselves are one of the Saudi's biggest customers the hypocricy started to do my head in.
Now 3 years later and prize pools on the tour have tripled, No cut events are now starting to occur, smaller fields are starting to occur and it all directly follows what Greg and LIV have introduced.
I don't believe Greg hates the PGA tour, thats a nice common line people love throwing out there but the reality is he believes in Golf having a global tour and if that upsets the Yanks and the tour then so be it.

They could do a hell of a lot worse than all getting together now, sacking Jay and putting Greg in charge of the Tour. Any commissioner that is there for his players has to always be the best option.

Anyway I know many of you disagree so i am rambling, he is my favourite ever sportsman, he put golf on the map here in Australia, won 91 times around the world. HOF player. Should of been a 10 time major winner but for some reason he couldn't close.
Sorry, I just like the guy and I am always a big fan to people standing up against monopoly's.
Don't disagree with nearly everything you have said - and yes, he was definitely an idol of mine.

But he has just come across as too much of a w@nker - even the crap he spoke about AK, making himself out to have been some sort of driving force in "bringing him back to the game" - which was shown to be complete b/s.

Backed him e/w at $30-1 after the TPC.

Outside of the Aussies, barracking for Rory for sentimental reasons. Brooks' major record means he can never be discounted. Leave out his injured year of 2022, his majors performances since 2017:
25 starts
5 wins
4 seconds
3 other top 5s
3 6-10th
10 others

Quite extraordinary

Love Rory to miss the cut, sick of listening to him. But he is a star player and he is overdue for hi talent.

Don't disagree with nearly everything you have said - and yes, he was definitely an idol of mine.

But he has just come across as too much of a w@nker - even the crap he spoke about AK, making himself out to have been some sort of driving force in "bringing him back to the game" - which was shown to be complete b/s.

you don't think Rory talks crap? Or JT, or Monohan? It seems to come with the territory of these very wealthy golfers.

Now re-watching 1986.
you don't think Rory talks crap? Or JT, or Monohan? It seems to come with the territory of these very wealthy golfers.
Let's leave Jay out of it. Whilst he has a lot of years ahead of him to change my mind, everything I have heard from Rory makes me think he is a good bloke with his head screwed on his shoulders.

JT? Good player, well short of Greg or Rory. Never been much of a fan, bit too much of a Daddy's boy.

Now re-watching 1986.

Let's leave Jay out of it. Whilst he has a lot of years ahead of him to change my mind, everything I have heard from Rory makes me think he is a good bloke with his head screwed on his shoulders.

JT? Good player, well short of Greg or Rory. Never been much of a fan, bit too much of a Daddy's boy.

I think he is a good bloke as well but after he cracked Greg about tour wins I wiped him. He needs about another 60 wins worldwide to be able to say that s**t. Then his constant bleating about LIV just never stopped until the day when he realised he will be playing for the golden goose and now all of a sudden Yasir is a great guy wanting to help golf as long as the PGA tour control the money. Seriously Rory does not sound like a smart business man.

Agree completely with you in regards to JT. Can play but thinks he is a much better player than he actually is. All the American college boys will always stay with the tour, Hitler could be their CEO and they would stay with them and wear the American flag on their chest.

No cut events are now starting to occur, smaller fields are starting to occur and it all directly follows what Greg and LIV have introduced.
I dont wish to get into a lengthy debate about this as its been done and done but this comment is not quite correct.

WGC events were all smaller fields and no cuts and they were around from 1999. CJ Cup. ZOZO Championship. CIMB Classic. All no cuts before LIV.

Are the new designated events with no cuts and small fields a result of LIV? Yes of course. But it's also just smart business isn't it? Sponsors want to know that the Rorys and Spieths are locked away on a weekend. As a fan, I like the drama of a cut but I see the both sides of the argument.

Yes be very interesting, I am expecting all the following to be very competitive. Koepka, Rahm, DJ, Sergio, Niemen. Hatton maybe?
Agree with you re Smith, his game is just off and has been for a while. But hope he goes well.

I am hoping DJ can get another jacket.
Yes its so fascinating this week, Koepka had this tournament in his grasp last year but the iceman couldn't quite close it out while Rahm got the green jacket. Niemann is one to watch from LIV this week, has the potential to go that next step if his game is there this week, he has the shots, believe me, I feel its important to get off to a good start in this tournament, its not crucial but you don't want to be chasing up to many shots on this course, especially on Sunday.

I think he is a good bloke as well but after he cracked Greg about tour wins I wiped him. He needs about another 60 wins worldwide to be able to say that s**t. Then his constant bleating about LIV just never stopped until the day when he realised he will be playing for the golden goose and now all of a sudden Yasir is a great guy wanting to help golf as long as the PGA tour control the money. Seriously Rory does not sound like a smart business man.

Agree completely with you in regards to JT. Can play but thinks he is a much better player than he actually is. All the American college boys will always stay with the tour, Hitler could be their CEO and they would stay with them and wear the American flag on their chest.
Rory already has a better career than Norman IMO. More majors, more PGA Tour wins, more Euro Tour wins(albeit a bit more double counting of the majors).

Re: Greg. He has become very Trumpian. He just says the most outlandish things to drive interest in LIV or pump up it's tyres - which also means Greg's tyres are getting pumped.

His comments last week that Talor Gooch is the best iron player in the last 20 years is just ******* ridiculous. We all know its not true.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back