Would you take Jobe Watson's Brownlow away?

If the decision was yours to make. Would you take away Watson's Brownlow after ASADAs investigation?

• Yes - I would give it to Cotchin & Mitchell

Votes: 500 42.1%
  • Yes - The award wouldn't go to anyone for the year

Votes: 258 21.7%
  • No - I think he deserved it

Votes: 98 8.2%
  • No - He didn't know he was taking drugs.

Votes: 28 2.4%
  • Sadly yes, the integrity of the game comes first before any individual.

Votes: 269 22.6%
  • I would try my best to sweep it under the carpet and give Essendon a 500,000 dollar fine.

Votes: 35 2.9%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
if they were going down the line of damage control, Watson wouldn't flat out tell them he did nothing wrong. He would brush off the questions or tell them to wait for the investigation to finish. The fact he confidently said he believed he hasn't done anything illegal has made me more confident

I think the penny has dropped and there is no escaping the fact they took a banned substance. the only defence they have left is "we were led to believe it was ok".

bombers fans won't like it, but to me this seals the deal. players must be banned regardless if they intended to cheat or not. players can take it up with Dank and Bombers now if they truly didn't know of any wrong doing. it's not fair on every other player or supporter of the league to have to compete against them now.

I don't know fully how this works as AFL are not fully signed on to ASADA but if Watson was in an Olympic sport he would get a ban regardless of what his coach told him. I don't mind as the AFL got it's own rules but the tweets from the athletics community just started going nuts talking about what would happen in their world should they do that and say their coach told me it was ok.

Very surprised by the interview.

Can't see Jobe having said anything not approved by the club, and by some extent ASADA too.

I think too it blows the lack of evidence out of the water too, that many believed.

Confused and unsure.

if they were going down the line of damage control, Watson wouldn't flat out tell them he did nothing wrong. He would brush off the questions or tell them to wait for the investigation to finish. The fact he confidently said he believed he hasn't done anything illegal has made me more confident
He said as a player he felt he hasn't done anything wrong. Which even if AOD was administered to him I can understand because he was given assurances that what he was being given was legal and WADA/ASADA approved.

But he did also say something along the lines of it's not up to him to decide what happens. I'm also not sure ASADA would be telling players one way or the other that they are in the clear or in trouble.

It will be interesting how this all plays out from here on in, as it now appears certain players were injected with a banned substance(based on all available evidence). If the players do somehow escape sanctions I really can't see how EFC will.

Watson's admissions tonight pretty much put to bed the rogue element argument to a certain extent as far as AOD is concerned at least.

I think the penny has dropped and there is no escaping the fact they took a banned substance. the only defence they have left is "we were led to believe it was ok".

bombers fans won't like it, but to me this seals the deal. players must be banned regardless if they intended to cheat or not. players can take it up with Dank and Bombers now if they truly didn't know of any wrong doing. it's not fair on every other player or supporter of the league to have to compete against them now.
I wasn't worried until now. :(

Jobe didn't admit to taking a banned substance...there is still conjecture over if AOD is actually illegal or not. We know for certain it is not a PED.

This makes me feel even more confident because Jobe wouldn't have said this unless there was word from ASADA that there isn't an issue.

Positive news Essendon fans!

I dont think you can ban the players for taking substances that they believed were legal and that was what Watson pointed out on OTC. If a doctor prescribes you medicine to take when you are ill your going to take it believing your going to get better as your placing your trust in his medical advice. Thats no different to what happened with the Essendon players. Dank on the other hand has a lot to answer for and they should be going after him more so for ill advising the players

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I dont think you can ban the players for taking substances that they believed were legal and that was what Watson pointed out on OTC. If a doctor prescribes you medicine to take when you are ill your going to take it believing your going to get better as your placing your trust in his medical advice. Thats no different to what happened with the Essendon players. Dank on the other hand has a lot to answer for and they should be going after him more so for ill advising the players

Problem is that all suspects could play dumb and say they had no idea.

Ignorance isn't an excuse when it comes to the law (yes I know this isn't law).

WADA stated it was a banned substance. That is good enough for me.

No, they said it was banned under a particular clause but as we know AOD has been given approval for therapeutic use in multiple Countries including Australia. If you go through the list of specifically banned substances because they are classified as PED's, AOD is not on the list.

1. NOT A PED!
2. HAS BEEN APPROVED FOR THERAPEUTIC USE

The athlete is liable for whatever they take...prescribed by their doctor or bought down the gym, or off the Internet.

Plenty of athletes have been banned taking prescribed medications without a TUE.

10.5.1 and 10.5.2 of the WADA code covers this.

It may not be fair on the players, but what are the other options?

you can't have players get away with it under ANY circumstances or you'll have end up with every team shooting up then the players will just claim they didn't know it was illegal.

plus you also have the issue of players competing with an unfair advantage over the rest.

No, they said it was banned under a particular clause but as we know AOD has been given approval for therapeutic use in multiple Countries including Australia. If you go through the list of specifically banned substances because they are classified as PED's, AOD is not on the list.

1. NOT A PED!
2. HAS BEEN APPROVED FOR THERAPEUTIC USE

Well that settles it, the club just has to produce the TUE's and they are set. What was the point of the past six months

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back