Delisted 12. Wylie Buzza (2016-2018)

Remove this Banner Ad

Cane toads here don't seem to have made any dent at all in the Brown snake population. So much veg farming here, and all the small stuff that feeds off of it must leave a lot of food for the snakes.
Mice plagues after the seed crops,anyway back to Buzzard.

Last edited:
Late picks can be late picks for multiple reasons. Blicav wasn't a top ten pick because he was not even playing the game at 18. Wylie is late to the game, had all his limbs, full head of hair, and from the above posts a work ethic with mongrel.

No reason he can't be the greatest player to have ever played the game. On him to want it, on us to develop it.

I like these code swap success stories. Means my son is a chance. His current sport is Nintendo, should help him make good decision in traffic when he takes up footy. Just need to clean up his ball drop before his balls...well you know.

That is gold…. Seriously LOL funny…

Well played.

GO Catters

Come on, there would not be one Geelong fan who isn't looking forward to Brian Taylor calling this kid? It will be a special moment in commentary history, if he becomes a star Taylor will require immediate resuscitation.

dd984c64a08179938786882cabad975f_400x400.png
"Wylie Buzza hey"?
Coyote all the way….

And much like what bigblackboz said about this marking, he doesn't mind a pluck. Good hands, takes the ball at its highest point. Good hands down low too.

Now, it is a highlights reel so im sure there is a lowlight reel too - I thought Id read one of the BF draftniks previews on him talked of a criticism of hard hands and spilling marks he should take.

All that said, I m very pleased to have read the stuff earlier about his character and work ethics - and dare I say his ability to run straight at the ball regardless of what is in his way - and to make the opposition remember they have been tackled.

Its Day 1 at the GFC for him - so perspective please - but there appear to be some definite tools there to work with and if his on field efforts over the next few months mirror what Ive seen - Id have no problems him seeing out his 2 year deal.

Go Catters

And for what its worth, I apologies to him already for whatever Brian Taylor comes up with.

I almost cannot wait to get to see some Cat VFL action in 2016.
Are in in Willo and Daz (if you get over in 2016)?
Is a bar you are in gonna run out of beer? that would be yes. :D

Already looking at options my friend.

Coyote could become a draw card!

GO Cattes

Last edited:
And much like what bigblackboz said about this marking, he doesn't mind a pluck. Good hands, takes the ball at its highest point. Good hands down low too.

Now, it is a highlights reel so im sure there is a lowlight reel too - I thought Id read one of the BF draftniks previews on him talked of a criticism of hard hands and spilling marks he should take.

All that said, I m very pleased to have read the stuff earlier about his character and work ethics - and dare I say his ability to run straight at the ball regardless of what is in his way - and to make the opposition remember they have been tackled.

Its Day 1 at the GFC for him - so perspective please - but there appear to be some definite tools there to work with and if his on field efforts over the next few months mirror what Ive seen - Id have no problems him seeing out his 2 year deal.

Go Catters

And for what its worth, I apologies to him already for whatever Brian Taylor comes up with.
I wonder if that was an observation made prior to the eye rectification.

You are spot on. Very aggressive, and right temperament for it. No beg pardons, but will always shake hands. Has the right attitudes. Will only improve.

Consider this. Most Victorian u12s have had more Australian footy games than Wylie...

Didn't stop Blitz…. so im not worried about experience one bit. With Hawkins, Mooney, and Scarlo at the club, he's got some great resources there. Helll even Mitch Clark can teach the lad. Not worried about experience at all.

That comes with time. And im happy to give him all the time in the provided he's the right type of kid. And from what I've heard so far, he has it in spades. Its great to hear it from people that know/are aware of him rather than just from the papers etc.

I keep reading about work ethic, tries hard, learning and persistence, and i don't mind the big of agro either.

Hope you keep following his progress and keep adding info about him.

Go Catters

Yeah, isn't that a joke. All the whinging the Lions do about players leaving, and they stuff Wylies opportunity up to play with the Lions before even draft day!!! Then, with a chance of keeping a kid who was born and raised 100km from the Lions, (via the draft), they choose a Southerner. (or more?)

Using recent years as a template...Brisbane probably see us as a development club ..and just feel two years with us puts the icing on him...... Jansen this year just being the latest. Two full time years in system and I suspect he will really start looking strong , but I suspect it will take at least two years. So I hope he is not the impatient type.

The one issue with drafting a kid like this is finding when and where he will get his chance. My rough look at him say he will probably be a two year min type , not too dissimilar to Hawkins. ( He looks to have a better kicking tec than Tom , and perhaps a natural more aggressive attitude). Will he be a good fit in and around a similar type like Hawk. How mobile is he , etc,etc... its all to be worked out.

From reading the article posted inline above, I guess that his name (Italian origin) is originally pronounced as
Butsa with "u" pronounced like "oo" in "foot", and "tsa" as in "pizza"

100% chance of commentators going with "buzz-a", which is of course more fun!

From reading the article posted inline above, I guess that his name (Italian origin) is originally pronounced as
Butsa with "u" pronounced like "oo" in "foot", and "tsa" as in "pizza"

100% chance of commentators going with "buzz-a", which is of course more fun!
Ah well,commentators get Blicavs name wrong so Wylie is in a good club then.

I almost cannot wait to get to see some Cat VFL action in 2016.
Are you in Willo and Daz (if you get over in 2016)?
affirmative mate...

It is required for the next stage of brainwashing my child :D

Ah well,commentators get Blicavs name wrong so Wylie is in a good club then.

Geelong supporters get Blicavs name wrong, and Kolodjashnij, and Jansen, who seemed to regularly get called Jensen here and on FB Cats supporter pages.

affirmative mate...

It is required for the next stage of brainwashing my child :D

I prefer to think of it as bringing little Willo up in the ways of righteousness brother.;)
It is called good parenting.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

looking forward to calls by Cometti

Fingers on the Buzza

Buzza... light years ahead of his opponent

Wylie, while he runs around the defence

Yes, it could get very ugly.

“As a 16-year-old I took up the game properly. I have probably played about 80 games over four years.”
He is already ahead of about 90% of our ruck/forwards on that count!

Geelong supporters get Blicavs name wrong, and Kolodjashnij, and Jansen, who seemed to regularly get called Jensen here and on FB Cats supporter pages.
Don't forget Clark and Clarke. Two very distinct sounds.

So stoked to see Wylie get a chance, he's a quality kid. I was at his first game when he played U16's for Lockyer Valley, I was on the phone to the local AFLQ talent guys before half time, he was something special. I've never come across a kid who works as hard as him, he'll bust his arse to win the respect of the playing group, coaches and fans. His father, Gordon, was a pro boxer and he has instilled that toughness into Wiley, he can throw them too. You won't meet a nicer young bloke, typical country kid who'll do anything to help those around him. I would have loved him at the Lions but as far as his on and off field development goes, I don't think he could have landed at a better club. Best of luck Cats, you've got a good one here.:thumbsu:
Wow! Wylie sounds wonderful! He's won his way into many hearts hear already!

Come on, there would not be one Geelong fan who isn't looking forward to Brian Taylor calling this kid? It will be a special moment in commentary history, if he becomes a star Taylor will require immediate resuscitation.

dd984c64a08179938786882cabad975f_400x400.png
"Wylie Buzza hey"?
Is it wrong of me to hope the ambos fail? :oops:

I guarantee you it will involve words selected from the following list:
- big
- bad
- boy
- bustling

The latter may miss out due to pushing Taylor's syllable limit, "wowee" being the only multi-syllabic 'word' he has really nailed down.
Bustling Buzza has a noice ring to it ;)

AFL Draft 2015: Likely cult hero Wylie Buzza pinching himself to be drafted to Geelong
59 minutes ago
Jon RalphHerald Sun

FOUR years ago dreadlocked Queenslander Wylie Buzza wagged school to try out for an AFL schoolboy trial.

It would start a remarkable journey that will see the 197cm forward become an instant cult hero after Geelong this week drafted him at pick 69.

The magnificent Ben Brown-inspired mane, the spectacular name, the laconic Queensland manner: he is the full package.

“Just reading your name on the internet, everyone was saying they are putting me down as a cult hero already,” he told the Herald Sun.

“They are big boots to fill. I don’t want to be the cult hero that is a dud.

“We think (the surname) is Italian but if you met me I am not Italian in any sense of the word.

v1

“I have only ever met one Wylie and he works on a farm out west. I don’t think he would have ever played in the AFL. It’s quite an unusual name.”

The sports-mad rugby league player accompanied a friend on that AFL tryout — with mum’s blessing — and quickly fell in love with the game.

The 19-year-old key forward’s strong contested marking brought him into the draft equation this year, but Thursday night was a long, agonising affair.

“It was a long wait. First the whole year and then draft night and they were screwing around on TV in that first half an hour,’’ he said.

“All that stuff beforehand was making it even worse. My nerves were uncontrollable.

“And then my manager told me two clubs were my chance — North Melbourne and Geelong.

“North Melbourne passed and were out of the draft and then it came to Geelong’s third pick and they read my name out and I lost it.

“I was just crying my eyes out in pure happiness. I just had to pace around the house to understand what was happening.”

a5e3b421cec25e3da2c7e565963751ee

Wylie Buzza in action for the All Stars on the MCG on AFL Grand Final day. Picture: Colleen Petch
Stage fright hit when Geelong captain Joel Selwood called to congratulate him on his recruitment.

“I have already made a fool of myself. He asked a question and I completely mucked up the answer,” he said.

“He was probably thinking, ‘What an idiot’, but oh well. I will have to make up for it when I meet him.”

Buzza, who played footy for Mt Gravatt but hails from Gatton — 80km west of Brisbane — admits his footy journey is improbable.

“Rugby league was my main sport but when I was 15 I had a mate who had the idea of taking the day off school to try out for this schoolboy thing.

“I took the day off. Mum knew about it but it was pretty much a wag. They picked me to go to Townsville for five games and I fell in love with the sport.

“As a 16-year-old I took up the game properly. I have probably played about 80 games over four years.”

051917b65bd7b77481571b041bfff0eb

Wylie Buzza has only been playing footy for four years. Picture: Richard Walker
Buzza has always grown his hair long apart from one ill-advised decision to shave his head at five — “Everyone thought I had leukaemia”.

“Since then I have kept it long. It is long curly hair but it turns into natural dreads if I don’t brush it which is quite often.

“It is a mix of long curly hair and dreads.”

Now comes the hard part — turning a brilliant footy yarn into a sustained AFL career.

“Tom Hawkins has always been my favourite forward and I am lucky enough not only to play with Selwood and Hawkins but go to the Cats in the year Patrick Dangerfield came across,” he said.

“To think I will be their teammate is just unbelievable. (At training) I will probably kick the ball along the ground to them, I will just be so nervous.”
What an absolute sweetie! I just want to eat him up! :thumbsu: :rainbow: :hearts:

Gatton - Home of the Big Orange and now the Big Wylie
Geez they've been through such an ordeal up there! The devastation of the floods! Good, hard working, dedicated, courageous country people! The type of Aussies we all love + admire! Just makes me like this kid a whole lot more!

Typical Lockyer Valley boy,hard as nails, it's a great part of Australia and still recovering from the big floods in 2011, it would have given a lot of people great joy last night even though it's rugby league heartland.
Superbly said ypo! They won the hearts of the whole country! A whole community completely devastated! It certainly would have made them proud!

Remove this Banner Ad

Back