Work & Education you pick one's spelling and grammar thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Then why use the American pronunciation?
images

I don't even use the word!!! :mad:

But it is simply wrong!

AFL stems from Rugby, AFL has League in its name, it's a national game, would you call it League? No! It's like saying Irish are all Catholics! Or telling an Irish Catholic they're Protestant!

It is very simply wrong to call NRL 'Rugby' - you may as well say all white people are English! There are four football codes + calling them by the wrong name is just pure ignorance! Saying NRL has rugby in it doesn't make it right to call it Rugby. Just as calling AFL 'League' (which is NRL) doesn't make it right because it has league in it. Your argument is stupid! If I called you a Queenslander would that be wrong? No! Based on your argument Australia has Queensland in it, so you must be a Queenslander. For people who think they know about sport, I really can't comprehend how you can call footy codes by the wrong name?
419AJP20ZTL.jpg

But it is Rugby. Call it what you like, but the fact that NRL stands for National Rugby League is good enough reason for md to call it Rugby!

*goes and hides*
You can come out now lol I've calmed down :p :D

But it is simply wrong!

AFL stems from Rugby, AFL has League in its name, it's a national game, would you call it League? No! It's like saying Irish are all Catholics! Or telling an Irish Catholic they're Protestant!

It is very simply wrong to call NRL 'Rugby' - you may as well say all white people are English! There are four football codes + calling them by the wrong name is just pure ignorance! Saying NRL has rugby in it doesn't make it right to call it Rugby. Just as calling AFL 'League' (which is NRL) doesn't make it right because it has league in it. Your argument is stupid! If I called you a Queenslander would that be wrong? No! Based on your argument Australia has Queensland in it, so you must be a Queenslander. For people who think they know about sport, I really can't comprehend how you can call footy codes by the wrong name?
bridge.jpg

You can come out now lol I've calmed down :p :D
When I scrolled down and realised that you'd quoted the same quote for the third time, based on the first two responses you gave, it took me 12 hours just to muster up the courage to read your third response. What a relief to see that you'd "calmed down".:drunk:

But it is simply wrong!

The very fact that it's referred to as simply League is to differentiate it in conversation between the other Rugby code, Union. Why is Union itself not as prevalent as League as a single term to refer to that code of Rugby? Who knows, perhaps because there wasn't a need for two branches of significant differentiation, so one didn't permeate through the colloquial vocabulary as much as the other.

The reality is, if you say "Rugby" to most southern staters, they'll know that there's two codes of Rugby, but won't necessarily know which code is being referred to. The term "League" says nothing about the game itself, it's just that it's an ingrained cultural reference to Rugby League. Whether I call Rugby League simply Rugby, or just League, it doesn't change the fact that it is still Rugby.

As for your Queensland comment, the whole world refers to the Netherlands as Holland more often than not, the Dutch included! So, you could very well refer to me as a Queenslander and you wouldn't be any more incorrect than anyone who refers to a resident of any region of the Netherlands other than Holland as a Hollander.

The very fact that it's referred to as simply League is to differentiate it in conversation between the other Rugby code, Union. Why is Union itself not as prevalent as League as a single term to refer to that code of Rugby? Who knows, perhaps because there wasn't a need for two branches of significant differentiation, so one didn't permeate through the colloquial vocabulary as much as the other.

The reality is, if you say "Rugby" to most southern staters, they'll know that there's two codes of Rugby, but won't necessarily know which code is being referred to. The term "League" says nothing about the game itself, it's just that it's an ingrained cultural reference to Rugby League. Whether I call Rugby League simply Rugby, or just League, it doesn't change the fact that it is still Rugby.

As for your Queensland comment, the whole world refers to the Netherlands as Holland more often than not, the Dutch included! So, you could very well refer to me as a Queenslander and you wouldn't be any more incorrect than anyone who refers to a resident of any region of the Netherlands other than Holland as a Hollander.
IMG_3492.PNG

Funny! That's exactly what my wife says to me on the extremely rare occasions that I "win" an argument! :p
You certainly DID NOT win! You're totally wrong! NRL is NOT 'Rugby' it is correctly called either 'League' or 'NRL' !!! I just CBF

image.jpg

You certainly DID NOT win! You're totally wrong! NRL is NOT 'Rugby' it is correctly called either 'League' or 'NRL' !!! I just CBF

View attachment 109020
Yep. And just like you, she says "I can't be bothered arguing with idiots".;)

And as I've maintained, call it what you like, but that doesn't change the fact that it isn't not rugby! What you call it and what it is are two entirely different things. Unless of course you can categorically prove that it is in fact actually not rugby?

True or False: NRL/League is NOT rugby just like AFL is not tennis?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Yep. And just like you, she says "I can't be bothered arguing with idiots".;)

And as I've maintained, call it what you like, but that doesn't change the fact that it isn't not rugby! What you call it and what it is are two entirely different things. Unless of course you can categorically prove that it is in fact actually not rugby?

True or False: NRL/League is NOT rugby just like AFL is not tennis?

lol your not going to win, women get the last word in every argument. Anything a man says after that is the beginning of a new argument.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back